Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rubberbandits get Channel 4 Pilot show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

NinjaK wrote: »
    I dont find posh boys acting like "scumbags" funny. If they were real working class lads then it would be funny

You know Dermot Morgan wasnt really a priest as well dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

krudler wrote: »

Was he not ? **** don t tell me John Cleese wasn t really a hotel owner in Torquay? They re my 2 favourite show I don t want them ruined. Next you ll be telling me Santa and the tooth fairy aren t real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

:eek:

btw my comment was a bit off, they are not too bad, some of their stuff is funny

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah right. What next? You gonna try and say that Thomas Magnum is not driving around Oahu in a red 308 GTSi.

Nice try buddy, with your made up Dermot Morgan name. We all know that Ted's name is Ted Crilly.:p

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Was he not ? **** don t tell me John Cleese wasn t really a hotel owner in Torquay? They re my 2 favourite show I don t want them ruined. Next you ll be telling me Santa and the tooth fairy aren t real.

Ignore him. You and I know the truth. What is on TV is all real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

That s the best yet, now you re telling me to go to bed early. I went out on a Saturday night and didn t get in till half three, I then went on the net before going to sleep, is there something extraordinary about that kind of activity, oh yeah I didn't get up till 12 40 either, I like a lie in after been out the night before, is that ok with you or would you only like me to log on during day light.

Have you any idea how small minded and bitter you come across to other people on here. I also noticed that you were all over a thread when spastic hawk came out saying that the song will be the end of them and that their one dimensional humour has run its course, that the song itself was **** and the public will decide [its now got 400000 you tube hits by the way and was in Hot Press's top 20 international songs released last year.] Another fella on here called MCLove was also talking of their demise I notice his comments are curiously absent from this thread bar the odd snaily boot with his thanks to negative comments.

You also said that their 15 minutes were up. Are you usually this upset when you get it so wrong, is it so hard to accept that even if they were to break up in the morning what they ve achieved already is a considerable legacy that won t be repeated by an Limerick/Irish act for many tears to come.

They are going to be on British TV funded by a british TV company, yes seachto it s happened they weren t one hit wonders/there s more to them than local humour that won t transfer/ you got it wrong/ let it ****in go and take MCLOVE with you...

Just for interests sake why do you think the Bandits have become so popular in the UK and why do you think channel 4 [and more importantly the same team who signed Chris Morris/Sacha Baron Cohen] are giving them between 250 000 and half a million to do some work for them?

Is it luck? Have they some pull maybe one of their sisters is riding a producer in channel 4? Are they perhaps blackmailing some producer in Channel 4? Do the people at channel 4 need to be sacked?

I'm just curious as to your thoughts on why someone is willing to give them lots and lots of money to make music and comedy?

Wow, that's quite a rant, I had a good laugh at it. Is it luck? Yeah, a lot of it is down to luck, just like music. A lot of it is down to who you know. You can have all the talent you want, and no contacts, and it won-t do much. It's as much down to their management and the contacts they have (which are very good ones). Just because they get a pop at Channel 4 doesn't mean they will still be around in 10 years time? They might, but it's no guarantee.

Hot Press. A lot of stuff in Hot Press is rubbish, and many's the band have graced the front cover in recent years who are nowhere to be found now. The Blizzards for example. I read an article a few months back blowing smoke up a Dublins band's @rse. Turns out their manager works for Hot Press. Turns out they still play crap gigs in county Limerick towns in amongst other bland cover bands. So getting on any kind of a list means jack sh*t, especially in Hot Press. Getting into Hot Press also means jack sh*t in the grand scheme of things.

I've been hearing about this channel 4 lark for the bones of a year now, and still nothing really has happened has it? When it actually comes out, let's reserve judgement for it then.

I don't like them. It's boring at this stage (trying to be all cryptic and a few f**cks thrown in doesn't make good comedy for me). It might suit people who like to say "f*ck" and "c*nt" loudly in public.
    I thought it was funny for a bit during Horse Outside, and I recall when I was in pubs around that time, everybody was asking covers bands to play the song. Pretty much all the time. That ain't happening now. Maybe they'll release another one?
    How come there wasn't half the reaction to Spastic Hawk or Roisin, or the channel 4 pilots? Do their fans not know it's on? Do they not care? Or was it just not very good? I'm wasting my time debating it with you anyways, as you like them and I do not. :)

seachto7 wrote: »
    Wow, that's quite a rant, I had a good laugh at it. Is it luck? Yeah, a lot of it is down to luck, just like music. A lot of it is down to who you know. You can have all the talent you want, and no contacts, and it won-t do much. It's as much down to their management and the contacts they have (which are very good ones). Just because they get a pop at Channel 4 doesn't mean they will still be around in 10 years time? They might, but it's no guarantee.

Hot Press. A lot of stuff in Hot Press is rubbish, and many's the band have graced the front cover in recent years who are nowhere to be found now. The Blizzards for example. I read an article a few months back blowing smoke up a Dublins band's @rse. Turns out their manager works for Hot Press. Turns out they still play crap gigs in county Limerick towns in amongst other bland cover bands. So getting on any kind of a list means jack sh*t, especially in Hot Press. Getting into Hot Press also means jack sh*t in the grand scheme of things.

I've been hearing about this channel 4 lark for the bones of a year now, and still nothing really has happened has it? When it actually comes out, let's reserve judgement for it then.

I don't like them. It's boring at this stage (trying to be all cryptic and a few f**cks thrown in doesn't make good comedy for me). It might suit people who like to say "f*ck" and "c*nt" loudly in public.
    I thought it was funny for a bit during Horse Outside, and I recall when I was in pubs around that time, everybody was asking covers bands to play the song. Pretty much all the time. That ain't happening now. Maybe they'll release another one?
    How come there wasn't half the reaction to Spastic Hawk or Roisin, or the channel 4 pilots? Do their fans not know it's on? Do they not care? Or was it just not very good? I'm wasting my time debating it with you anyways, as you like them and I do not. :)

'It's as much down to their management and the contacts they have (which are very good ones).'

So why don t their management find one of the acts that you re talking about with all the talent ... they d be sure to make it with them... wouldn they... maybe you could act as an agent, it might be your chance to get into the business and use that fine eye for talent, it would be surely more satisfying than being jealous bitter and tiresome. [anyway everyone in Limerick knows that their management come from the Nite Club business not the music business so they re only learning the ropes in music management any contacts the Bandits have is down to their success]

So you don t think they ve been signed is that it? Or is it that actually been signed isn't an achievement are you using your previous argument that any fool can get signed to channel 4 ?

How come there wasn't half the reaction to Spastic Hawk or Roisin, or the channel 4 pilots? Do their fans not know it's on? Do they not care? Or was it just not very good? I'm wasting my time debating it with you anyways, as you like them and I do not.

Spastic Hawk 400000 black man 900000 Rosin 650000 [you tube views] Including views to previous songs that clocks up to around 4 million excluding horse outside ...since they became more mainstream [easily the most viewed Irish act on you tube]

Fastest selling pre sales to an Irish debut album

Sold out show in the Olympia Dublin

Sold out tour of the UK

Sold out tour of 5 cities in Australia

Signed by Channel 4 for a pilot with an investment of between a quarter and a half a million.

What ****en planet are you on ? You must be a musician only someone who has failed in a particular field could possibly be projecting so much negativity on to another band...by any chance when you wrote.... and I recall when I was in pubs around that time, everybody was asking covers bands to play the song. Pretty much all the time. That wouldn t have been you in that cover band would it?

Fair enough if you don t like it but actually living in denial of their obvious success is just embarrassing..lets face up to what is patently obvious.... you had em written off as chancers and you ve gotten it wrong don t resist it ...learn from it...it could be the turning point in your own career.

Oh Yeah you didn t answer my question why do you think channel 4 signed them and are willing to invest so much money in them?

To be honest, I couldn't be @rsed reading through your post, but skimmed it and saw "fastest ...." and "fastest......."

I always hear of boy bands and girl bands and jedward appearing on "fastest selling....." type lists. Don't Westlife have some record for "most number ones", or some rubbish like that. They are still crap though. Superlative lists mean absolutely zero to me. Then again, I suppose there are a few good bands on "fastest.." type lists as well

There are plenty of "fastest guitarist in the world" type lists, and none of them are any good at writing a song. You get my point.......

Maybe Channel 4 took a chance and signed them? A bit like any record label, or business investment scheme would be: a chance. There is no guarantee any of it will work.....

I don't think there is longevity in it, no. They are only in the public outside of Limerick for the last year. 1 year. When egos get thrown into the mix/entourage, it doesn't do any favours either......

I won't expand on that........

Sold out tour of the UK, Aus? How many English and Aussies were at those shows besides the bar staff? I wouldn't say no to a tour in Aus, but have no interest playing to "ex pats" myself. If I went to Aus or the States tomorrow, it's to Americans and Australians I want to play to...

I haven't failed at anything yet, I'm on the journey, but haven't failed at it just yet :)

Yeah, I was playing in a cover band, and it was pretty much Rubberbandits requests non stop for a month, which was fine. I had no problem with it, but the trend seemed to go that by the end of January, February, less people asked. Now, nobody asks. That's just a trend I reckon, but surely this is slipping off the radar a bit?

To be honest, I couldn't be @rsed reading through your post, but skimmed it and saw "fastest ...." and "fastest......."

I always hear of boy bands and girl bands and jedward appearing on "fastest selling....." type lists. Don't Westlife have some record for "most number ones", or some rubbish like that. They are still crap though. Superlative lists mean absolutely zero to me. Then again, I suppose there are a few good bands on "fastest.." type lists as well

There are plenty of "fastest guitarist in the world" type lists, and none of them are any good at writing a song. You get my point.......

Maybe Channel 4 took a chance and signed them? A bit like any record label, or business investment scheme would be: a chance. There is no guarantee any of it will work.....

I don't think there is longevity in it, no. They are only in the public outside of Limerick for the last year. 1 year. When egos get thrown into the mix/entourage, it doesn't do any favours either......

I won't expand on that........

Sold out tour of the UK, Aus? How many English and Aussies were at those shows besides the bar staff? I wouldn't say no to a tour in Aus, but have no interest playing to "ex pats" myself. If I went to Aus or the States tomorrow, it's to Americans and Australians I want to play to...

I haven't failed at anything yet, I'm on the journey, but haven't failed at it just yet :)

Yeah, I was playing in a cover band, and it was pretty much Rubberbandits requests non stop for a month, which was fine. I had no problem with it, but the trend seemed to go that by the end of January, February, less people asked. Now, nobody asks. That's just a trend I reckon, but surely this is slipping off the radar a bit?

Id say you read it alright smile.gif

Do you know how many comedy acts comedians bands in the UK that channel 4 could have given that money to..its not like it was 'shur they re a good laugh..with the bags an all...shur its mad..we ll risk a quarter of a million on em' ....companies take a chance when they sign any band there is no other way of doing this ****.. but you gotta have something really special to make the short list and have your name discussed by people who are willing to put their money where their mouth is... if you fancy a chance in the music industry dude you re as well off realizing that sooner rather than later to avoid disappointment.

Will you just let go of the ghost man will you...The reason channel 4 have signed them is they very very good at what they do and of course they write good songs which are incredibly well put together and also seem to resonate very strongly with a lot of people.

I wouldn't say no to a tour in Aus, but have no interest playing to "ex pats" myself. If I went to Aus or the States tomorrow, it's to Americans and Australians I want to play to...

I haven't failed at anything yet, I'm on the journey, but haven't failed at it just yet smile.gif

It s good to see you don t take yourself too seriously.

By the way I ve nothing against cover bands and some of my friends play in them and I enjoy going to see them play sometimes but not that often if you know what I mean I prefer original material, I assume that journey youre on involves original material knock us on a link would love to hear it. Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The begrudgery is alive and well. In reply to seachto7: I personally think Bob Marley, Snow Patrol, The Beatles, and many many other extremely popular, long established and lucrative bands are crap. They are to me what the RubberBandits are to you. Does that mean i'm right? No. Also, the Original Rudeboys, they're very popular lately and i think they're the worst thing to come out of Ireland. But, i don't go onto threads about them giving out.

As for the RubberBandits, songs like Spoiling Ivan and Spastic Hawk and really displays the talent and effort these lads put in. It's not off the cuff attempt at humour, there's meaning and good lessons in their songs ("We robbed his parents heroin and threw it all away").

But, i can see it's pointless trying to convince someone who is so right in their own head otherwise. You keep smiling to yourself knowing that someday you may be right, that the RubberBandits may not exist forever, but i hope you also know that they have done more than 99% of the rest of Irish people, and they're in their mid-twenties. The Rubberbandits may not be around forever, but the lads behind them definiely have a career made.

Best of luck to them, can't wait to see what they come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

Ah let it go Seachto!! Its kind of obvious that you have more than a dislike of the Bandits music and comedy. You do a good job trying in vain to explain why you don't like them but I can't help getting the feeling theres something else going on in the background with you!!

You are far too quick to dismiss any positive they have done as being down to luck and "who they know"!!!!!! Do you have a personal grudge against their management perhaps!!

Deny it till the cows come home but your anti-Rubberbandit rants aren't neccesarily down to the fact you don't like their act but something deeper i would imagine.

The facts are these two lads who you had written off ages ago are being contracted by Channel 4 to do a half hour Pilot later in the year.
    They have made the breakthrough and Channel 4 will be airing their material on Tv to a British audience.

The way i see it is, a lot of people happen to like the Rubberbandits and this for some reason only known to yourself seems to really really annoy you!!!

I would like to see them do a proper sitcom.
    I thought the channel 4 pilots were very very weak when you compare them to their previous stuff.
    Again, tis my opinion, and opinions are like A-holes....

The sketch they did on the Rep of Telly when they went fishing was very good. More glimpses of that would be good. But I can take them or leave them. I am sick of reading hype about this show and that show, and this band and that band, then being totally let down.

No point my chiming in again, as you like them. I do not.

I thought the channel 4 pilots were very very weak when you compare them to their previous stuff.

The sketch they did on the Rep of Telly when they went fishing was very good. More glimpses of that would be good. But I can take them or leave them. I am sick of reading hype about this show and that show, and this band and that band, then being totally let down.

The usual "you are a begrudger" thing always comes up in Limerick/Irish threads. What about it's as simple as I don't like them. I don't have to just because I am from Limerick.....

The usual "you are a begrudger" thing always comes up in Limerick/Irish threads. What about it's as simple as I don't like them. I don't have to just because I am from Limerick.....

The usual "you are a begrudger" thing always comes up in Limerick/Irish threads. What about it's as simple as I don't like them. I don't have to just because I am from Limerick.

I dont think you are a begrudger just cos you are from Limerick/Ireland. Nor I don t think you have to like them just because you re from Limerick... that would be ridiculous. I think you are a begrudger because you dont like to accept that the Rubberbandits are the most successful musical act to come out of Limerick since the Cranberries and you [obviously not being too creative yourself] are too blinded and upset by this to spot just how good they are at writing/playing/producing/mastering/performing.

I am sick of reading hype about this show and that show, and this band and that band, then being totally let down.

What hype has there been about the Bandits, there are lots of old foggey s and GAA/Fianna Fail types in mainstream media that the Bandits make very uncomfortable who have actively gone out of their way to diss them. Lots of journalists who figured they were chancers/scum bags/glue sniffers/one hit wonders and are now slow to admit they were wrong.

They ve had over 20million hits on you tube that s why they are in the media, that s not hype. They are not Jedward or an x factor act or an act who is with a major label who can bully the music press into giving them column inches, there s been no hype ffs. They even turned down rep of telly for the past 2 series because there was over saturation due to horse outside, again the hype was public and not media driven. If you ever write a song as good as horse outside you ll understand it better [or any song that becomes a smash hit for that matter]

They are 2 blokes who still work out of a home studio, who don t do the celeb thing [they didn t even turn up for their IFTA last year] and can still walk around with no one knowing who they are as opposed to using their fame for getting free passes.

PS To say the channel 4 blaps were very very week is an insane remark when you consider both Blackman/Spoiling Ivan/and a tale about an old man who broke his back by trying to sit on his own lap were in there... all inside 12 minutes.

You set such high standards for yourself you must be losing sleep trying to live up to them. This makes me even more anxious to hear your own material send me on those links will you :D

so which one of them are you then?:):)

I honestly did not like the sketch on the old man breaking his back. I just did not find it funny at all, just weak. (compared to some of their other stuff). Prob just me...

Question. Would the 2 lads in the bandits have made a good bit of money themselves (as a wage etc) in the last year? I'm sure they made a ball of money out of the gigs, but youtube views don't make money....
    Are they full time at it, or still doing the "day job"..........

I'm not blinded or upset. Why would I be? I have a list of music and comedy that I prefer that I have to get around to listening to. I have not much time to be getting worried about stuff I'm not into. If I were to write a novelty song, I wouldn't be doing it like the bandits, as they are already doing it, so why would they need someone else attempting to do it???

I honestly did not like the sketch on the old man breaking his back. I just did not find it funny at all, just weak. (compared to some of their other stuff). Prob just me...

Question. Would the 2 lads in the bandits have made a good bit of money themselves (as a wage etc) in the last year? I'm sure they made a ball of money out of the gigs, but youtube views don't make money....

I'm not blinded or upset. Why would I be? I have a list of music and comedy that I prefer that I have to get around to listening to. I have not much time to be getting worried about stuff I'm not into. If I were to write a novelty song, I wouldn't be doing it like the bandits, as they are already doing it, so why would they need someone else attempting to do it???

er, yes they do, if you're a youtube partner and have advertising on your channel you can make a couple of grand a week on it, its why guys who play games like call of duty and upload videos to their channels for people to watch are quitting their day jobs and becoming full time youtube commentators, there's even a few guys here on boards who do it.

what's a youtube view worth these days? Neither here nor there anyways..

what's a youtube view worth these days? Neither here nor there anyways..

depends on the audience size, around 2.50 per 1000 views, horse outside has almost 9 million views, it all adds up..

No I wouldn t think it was just you Id say a lot of people didn t get it but 99% of them probably didn t feel compelled to come on line to tell the world that they don t like something. Read a book by a great Irish comic writer called Flan O Brien called The Third Policeman as a way in to this kind of surrealist humour. It s for me as big an influence on their comedy as Hip Hop/Blues/RnB is on their music.

I doubt very much Channel 4 are going to invest that sort of money in an act without making sure that they are financially able to put the time and effort in Do You?

I'm not blinded or upset. Why would I be? I have not much time to be getting worried about stuff I'm not into.

You re negative posts about the Bandits over the past 12 months suggest you are indeed upset and for some reason worried about the success. Perhaps because it shines a light on where you are in your own life/musical career.

You are right Dannyriver. My life is a failure! I must measure my life's worth on a bunch of comedians........:):rolleyes::)

The reason I ask if they are at it full time is I know of "established" musicians who have been around a while, who would have had a lot more exposure and longevity than the RB, and they work day jobs too. The perception is just because they are on tv and radio a lot, that they must be raking it in. Not always true. I would hope the RB are at least being financially compensated for their work.........

I have read Flan O Brien, and he is funny. The sketch on the old man wasn't . But that's just my opinion....

• Advertisement

[/B]No I wouldn t think it was just you Id say a lot of people didn t get it but 99% of them probably didn t feel compelled to come on line to tell the world that they don t like something. .

Sorry to pick one line from your reply to Seachto, but I have seen what you said in it a number of time over the past few months on Boards.

It seems that a stock reply by some to anyone saying they did not like a certain song or skit by the RBs is that the person just did not get it.

That would suggest that the person that did not "get it" was a bit too thick to understand the song or skit, or that the song/skit was some kind of high brow material.

And it appears to totally rule out the possibility of a person who "gets" what they have just seen/heard not liking a particular song/skit.

Not having any kind of dig at you, it is just that I have read the same thing a good number of times now on here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod Note:

Dannyriver, at this point I'm going to ask you to stop posting in this thread. Judging by your posting history on this site it's clear you have no interest in discussing any issue beside the Rubberbandits. That kind of soap-boxing and campaigning isn't appreciated. Please use this forum to discuss Limerick city/county and issues/events relevant to the locality instead of continuing to focus all your attention on supporting one local act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

^^^^
    Agree.

The only time you contribute to boards, it's usually in relation to the RBs. I think the band (who I 100% support) have gone big enough to go on without you or anyone else defending them from criticism. That criticism comes with the success.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

such a cop out by the mods

''i dont like whats been said so i'll flex my mod muscles and tell the guy i dont agree with to stop posting''

boards is like the third reich at times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

''i dont like whats been said so i'll flex my mod muscles and tell the guy i dont agree with to stop posting''

As per Godwins law, your argument is now null and void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Have a week off to think about the third reich.

ObviouslyJesus banned for one week.

Mod Note:

Dannyriver, at this point I'm going to ask you to stop posting in this thread. Judging by your posting history on this site it's clear you have no interest in discussing any issue beside the Rubberbandits. That kind of soap-boxing and campaigning isn't appreciated. Please use this forum to discuss Limerick city/county and issues/events relevant to the locality instead of continuing to focus all your attention on supporting one local act.

No bother like I said in an earlier post I know the 2 lads since school days, [prank phone calls] and have been a fan since then, you re right I don t have an interest in discussing any other other issue on here. I joined to counteract some of the begrudgery and misinterpretations of the Bandits at the time of Horse outside and have done so since. The only time I come on here is when there is Bandits news just to see what s being said. When I disagree I reply, and then any other replies to that thread I am notified automatically in my email and I reply again. I have never instigated a thread about the Bandits and dont 'soap box' or 'campaign' on their behalf. I believe in any debating arena be it electronic or face to face you need to be able to take as good as you give and that s the maxim by which I ve posted on here. I ve no problem desisting from posting further on this thread as I ve pretty much said what I needed to say to Seachto7 in fact had he not kept replying to me I wouldn't have had a reason to answer.

However, in my opinion it might be an idea to change the rules to include one that says all members must post on more than one topic....At least that way you ll avoid any further confusion or worse still appearing dictatorial or discriminatory. That s not me telling you how to moderate it's just a suggestion. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭Socialist_Pig

That s not me telling you how to moderate it's just a suggestion. smile.gif
    ah there's a forum for that->http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Lads/Ladies/mask wearing friends. if you wish to discuss an on thread mod note please PM the mod in question or if they are not available another mod. Discussing it on thread only leads to the thread being pulled off topic and ruined for everyone.

Dannyriver ill let IO pick up on this one if he wishes otherwise lets consider the matter closed on thread.

Everyone else. please proceed with your discussion on the banditios....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

Mod Note:

Dannyriver, at this point I'm going to ask you to stop posting in this thread. Judging by your posting history on this site it's clear you have no interest in discussing any issue beside the Rubberbandits. .

please proceed with your discussion on the banditios....

...unless you actually are interested in the topic...if that is the case stop posting on RB threads....

LOL!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement