Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making "Real" Halo Armor

• 17-04-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Just over a week ago I was in work and one of the guys said "Sam, Build me a Master Chief suit!"... With out thinking I said "OKAY!"...

So i decided i would research for a couple of days into how to make the armor. The main method used by most is one called Pepakura, this is where you have a 3d render and you unfold it, then print out the unfolded bits, cut the out, score them, fold'em and then glue it all together... Its a pain in the old Jack Johnson...

So in the last week I have researched the schnozz berries out of how to do this and I've made a start at making the helmet and it's beginning to take shape, but there's a lot more work to go into it.

Any who i was planning on posting updates of my progress here if people are interested!

Here are some pics from the first stages:

tumblr_m2mbqbmtEi1rp1v9ho2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m2mbqbmtEi1rp1v9ho3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m2mc67WWOt1rp1v9ho1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m2md1iCy1h1rp1v9ho2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m2md1iCy1h1rp1v9ho1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m2md26zdha1rp1v9ho2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m2md4en3w21rp1v9ho1_1280.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

V cool!

Please keep us updated, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

There was another thread on here before of a guy making some which looked pretty good.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

Jayd0g wrote: »
    V cool!

Please keep us updated, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

There was another thread on here before of a guy making some which looked pretty good.

Best of luck!

Cheers man!

I think i made it a bit too big but its my first one so im happy so far! I have a bit of gluing left to do, then ive to start coating it with resin! Wooooo!

So i've made that helmet too big... :/ though i got the blue prints for a more detailed MC Helmet, so it begins again :( Im going to finished the first helmet at some stage and just chuck it to some one...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'll have it! :pac:

maximoose wrote: »
    I'll have it! :pac:

Well ill probably sell the first one whenever i finish it for whatever it cost to make it. So it might be around the fifty quid mark if i dont put the visor in.

Update for making the helmet i started a 2nd one yet there were complications, im starting my third when i return home today (i'm on the train home for the weekend wooooh!) I refuse to give up!

Finally i also got the blue prints to make a f@#k tonne of helmets and suits like gundam wing, every halo helmet and suit, xmen, iron man, thor crap, starwars! It makes me ever so excited!

Pictures of crap coming tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Weeeeell now lads... The third helmet is after turning out too small :/ So i'm about to start again... The helmet looks bloody awesome though! so i can't wait to get if done!

I will finish the helmet i made today completely at some point, it would fit a girls head or a kid..

So i've a helmet for a kid and a giant... Bloody Hell...

Here are some pics of it! WOOOOOO PICTURES! :eek:

tumblr_m3mb7aesY81rp1v9ho1_500.jpg

tumblr_m3mbe0wipL1rp1v9ho1_500.jpg

tumblr_m3mbhwQoUI1rp1v9ho1_500.jpg

tumblr_m3mbhwQoUI1rp1v9ho2_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kerryairsofter

Looks epic man best of look.

Update coming soon along with this!

tumblr_m55goyJA001rvd16jo6_r1_500.jpg

started off with the resining and got the outside of the Mark VI helmet coated and its now pretty hard, but then we started on the Boba Fett helmet... The brushes became rock solid from the resin so we could no longer use them. So Boba has one layer on. Poor Boba. But at this point it start to drizzle rain so we made a make shift cover for the helmets to protect them (we threw an umbrella over them...) and we were done.
    tumblr_m5yxhyluHW1rvd16jo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

SamBrugha wrote: »
    started off with the resining and got the outside of the Mark VI helmet coated and its now pretty hard, but then we started on the Boba Fett helmet... The brushes became rock solid from the resin so we could no longer use them. So Boba has one layer on. Poor Boba. But at this point it start to drizzle rain so we made a make shift cover for the helmets to protect them (we threw an umbrella over them...) and we were done.
    tumblr_m5yxhyluHW1rvd16jo1_500.jpg
    Very cool.i have made helmets like this before.will you use carbon fibre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

not to hijack your thread here but i started to make my own helmet last week, my first time using pepakura. the cutting, folding and gluing is a pain in the ass alright :/ resin today (when the hangover receeds), fibre glass tomorrow. i shall be keeping an eye on your helmet and seeing how things work out :) thanks for sharing it!!

DgbI9h.jpg

inQsuh.jpg

not to hijack your thread here but i started to make my own helmet last week, my first time using pepakura. the cutting, folding and gluing is a pain in the ass alright :/ resin today (when the hangover receeds), fibre glass tomorrow. i shall be keeping an eye on your helmet and seeing how things work out :) thanks for sharing it!!

I don't mind the gluing, but the cutting is annoying! Man i'd be spitting out helmets if i didnt have a stupid job.... :( if i had a full day to myself i could cut, glue, and resin. Blah

I don't mind the gluing, but the cutting is annoying! Man i'd be spitting out helmets if i didnt have a stupid job.... :( if i had a full day to myself i could cut, glue, and resin. Blah

i dont know if it was the detail or the fact its my first helmet but it took me forever to cut this one out, there was 101 pieces.. how many in the boba fett one.? star wars is my thing so ill be doing that definitely!!

i resined today, man that stuff is crazy.!! fibreglassing the inside tomorrow morning. jobs getting in the way of cool stuff is never good, i was waiting for college to finish so i could start this one.!! what are you using for the outside.? i got isopon p38 in halfords...

i dont know if it was the detail or the fact its my first helmet but it took me forever to cut this one out, there was 101 pieces.. how many in the boba fett one.? star wars is my thing so ill be doing that definitely!!

i resined today, man that stuff is crazy.!! fibreglassing the inside tomorrow morning. jobs getting in the way of cool stuff is never good, i was waiting for college to finish so i could start this one.!! what are you using for the outside.? i got isopon p38 in halfords...

Boba Fett was awkward, it seemed at the start that
    there wasn't that many pieces but there were. Yeah the resin is crazy, you gotta move very fast when using it due to the short pot life! I get quite angry when it turns to jelly! I also usually have a hair dryer beside my to give it some heat to dry fast when I'm done!

I picked up a pot of Isopon p38 too, I haven't tried it yet though :/ I've to finish resining the Boba helmet and halo helmet first and then I've another smaller halo helmet to do and I was working on a Skyrim helmet this weekend for a guy in work... so right now I'm trying to get all of what I'm making to the same stage.

i'll stick up some pics of what i did over the weekend later!

Boba Fett was awkward, it seemed at the start that
    there wasn't that many pieces but there were. Yeah the resin is crazy, you gotta move very fast when using it due to the short pot life! I get quite angry when it turns to jelly! I also usually have a hair dryer beside my to give it some heat to dry fast when I'm done!

I picked up a pot of Isopon p38 too, I haven't tried it yet though :/ I've to finish resining the Boba helmet and halo helmet first and then I've another smaller halo helmet to do and I was working on a Skyrim helmet this weekend for a guy in work... so right now I'm trying to get all of what I'm making to the same stage.

i'll stick up some pics of what i did over the weekend later!

ah that hair dryer tip will come in very handy.!! i was thinking of a skyrim helmet eventually too and just came across a pep file for cyclops from xmen's visor from the 90's cartoon so might do that after awhile, seems like a small build too!!

when i see the jelly.. i start freaking out lol!!

is there any pepakura forum/board on here besides this.? iron man isnt exactly halo-ish!!

I don't think there is, i might enquire about getting this thread moved to art or something!

tumblr_m680kuwcaN1rvd16jo1_500.jpg

Daedric Kid sized Helm Resined inside and out! boooooom

More pictures here!

I've been distracted from this with work and other projects. Update coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

This might be a stupid question but how does this pepakura craic work? Do you buy the flat packed pieces in a box? Print out templates and fold it? I'm very interested in this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Jesuss, they all look fantastic. Keep it up!

• Advertisement

martomcg wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but how does this pepakura craic work? Do you buy the flat packed pieces in a box? Print out templates and fold it? I'm very interested in this!!

You download Pepakura software and then find what you want to build. The software allows you to print out the pieces for your build and then you glue it together (id recommend using a glue gun, as it glues a lot quicker!). each piece of the puzzle has a flap that fold or an edge you glue to a flap! and that's pretty much it! The software numbers each side so its you can find the pieces blah blah blah.It may sound easy but you have to have the sides perfectly aligned when gluing or it can screw up your hole project.

I need to get back to this stuff, its very time consuming and can cost a bit of money to do, its better to buy in bulk when getting resin and body filler, but you only get your monies worth if you're making a few things. but buying in bulk could save you hundreds of euros.

Also check out the reason why i havent finished the helmets yet, this sucked away my money and time for a while at the end of the summer...

Mr. Christmas the Giant Head thread

NIce work man!
    The head for KoC was class.
    Where did you get plans/software for this stuff?
    I've a laser cutter ;)

The plans are all over the gaf! i got the ones one 4 shared some where! had to unfold the render myself though! The software is on the pepakura site! if you Google for the software you'll find it! you can find useful info on sites like the 405th.com

You have a laser cutter? Please tell me more!

Advertisement