Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom phonewatch??

• 31-05-2012 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I just had a rep from Eircom visit me selling a monitored wireless alarm. We have a standard alarm atm but not monitored.

What are your opinions on this??

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Hi folks.

I just had a rep from Eircom visit me selling a monitored wireless alarm. We have a standard alarm atm but not monitored.

What are your opinions on this??

Cheers.

What system have you installed now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

altor wrote: »
    What system have you installed now?

Just sensors on doors and windows with motion sensors with a aritech box..

Just sensors on doors and windows with motion sensors with a aritech box..

If you are not having any problems then an upgraded system utilizing all the devices you have installed would be a cheaper option. That would depend on the system being able to be brought up to this standard.
    What did P.W want to do, install a whole wire free system without taken a look ;)

If you are not having any problems then an upgraded system utilizing all the devices you have installed would be a cheaper option. That would depend on the system being able to be brought up to this standard.
    What did P.W want to do, install a whole wire free system without taken a look ;)

I think so allthough it was only some chinese sales guy that called. I cannot wait to get my electric gates and viscous dog to scare these guys..

I think so allthough it was only some chinese sales guy that called. I cannot wait to get my electric gates and viscous dog to scare these guys..

I would shop around so, most company's will upgrade the system and can arrange monitoring or self monitoring, whichever you require at much better prices.

• Advertisement

I would shop around so, most company's will upgrade the system and can arrange monitoring or self monitoring, whichever you require at much better prices.

Cherrs he seemed very pushy and turned me off.

Cherrs he seemed very pushy and turned me off.

Just looking for a sale, they receive commission for each one they get ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

They don't even include a live bell box + the eight sensors might only be sensors that detect opening instead of decting both opening and vibrations .. So if the glass is smashed your relying on the PIRs to detect them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ye forgot to mention the GSM because its more secure & UPC lines don't work because their not Eircom lines...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not nearly as bad as what I was told off Angle security
    Eircoms phone lines are being turned off in 10 months time and digi's won't be able to dial out !
    They don't use shock sensors because they cause false alarms .. Trap packs are better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Nothing to do with them being a fraction of the price & easier & quicker to install.
    That's why I always tell people to shop around.

They charge €1000 for 2 door contacts and I think 3-4 PIRs also the use an Anglecom gsm unit that can't be jammed ...haha

They charge €1000 for 2 door contacts and I think 3-4 PIRs also the use an Anglecom gsm unit that can't be jammed ...haha

Anglecom gsm unit?
    Is this just a GSM with there sticker on it?

no no its specially made for them. Hahaha

no no its specially made for them. Hahaha

It would be just a GSM with there name. You can get manufacturers to put your details on the control panel if you want so to print on the GSM would not be a big deal for them.

I was Jk Altor ... Couldn't believe it when he told me ... Was in stitches

I was Jk Altor ... Couldn't believe it when he told me ... Was in stitches

I would of being too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Hi guys just looking for some advice-
    Eircom are doing a package for 699 euros inc:
    •1 control panel
    • 1 dummy bell box(?)
    •2 room area sensors (detect movement)
    •2 door sensors (detect opening/closing)
    •4 window/room area sensors (detect vibration/movement)

My question is whether or not this is a good package/price for a 4 bed semi-d?
    Also why a dummy bell box?

Thanks in advance for allowing me to pick your brains.

Hi Cuchulainn1
    First off if you want to compare this to other systems on the market you need to bring it up to the same. This means adding a live external bell, because to most other company's this is standard & not an extra. That will add over €200 onto your €699.
    You question as to why a dummy box is simple. Its very hard for you to cancel your monitoring if you don't have a working bell.
    Also 4 inertia sensors alone on windows is not sufficient IMO. These will only detect forced entry. With these alone on a window your alarm will set even if your window is wide open,
    With the exception of the front door all other doors should also be protected by inertia contacts which will detect opening & vibration.
    Now with these 6 sensors are all accessible points of entry covered? If not , the detection they are selling you is not sufficient. IMO all accessible points of entry should be covered by inertia contacts to detect opening & forced entry.
    You don't say what monitoring /service package is included here.
    A proper monitoring & maintenance package should cover all call outs & labour charges. Why should you have to pay call outs because the alarm isn't performing correctly or hasn't been repaired correctly. You need to ask what is covered & what's excluded here. Get this in writing as well.
    You also need to ask what happens if you change your phone provider? Eircom try to force you to use their lines by telling you other providers lines ,like UPC etc, do not work on monitored alarms . THEY DO WORK.
    Also ask what's the procedure if you wish to cancel your monitoring . Sometimes they try & tell you a call out is required to disconnect the phone. This also is not necessary . Again get any agreements in writing.
    I would also shop around & get 3 other quotes comparing like with like. You will get a better system at better value. Also insist on a call out to survey your property . That will eliminate any extras later.

Hi KoolKid
    Thank you very much for your detailed response.I can see now about the dummy box,couldn't figure that myself!
    Now the problem is (and I know google is my friend)but I wouldn't know anything about which security companies are good,bad or indifferent.

Obviously I had known of Eircom and my parents have phonewatch but said I would ask the experts first and got your very detailed reply.could you perhaps name a couple of other companies/packages to look into?

Really sorry but have no clue about these things as it will be a first time alarm(in house 12 years shows the way things have gone!)

Thanks again KoolKid.

• Advertisement

Take a look at this thread here. If will give you a link to the PSA register of licensed installers. Any licensed company can set up monitoring so again shop around & get at least 3 quotes.
    There are also some installers listed on the sticky here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748
    Also take a good look over this forum in general, there is quite a lot of information re Eircom.

Thanks KoollKid i will have a good browse through it when i get a minute to myself!
    Again thanks for your replies very helpful.

Your welcome. Come back & let us know how you get on.;)

Hi KoolKid
    Thank you very much for your detailed response.I can see now about the dummy box,couldn't figure that myself!
    Now the problem is (and I know google is my friend)but I wouldn't know anything about which security companies are good,bad or indifferent.

Obviously I had known of Eircom and my parents have phonewatch but said I would ask the experts first and got your very detailed reply.could you perhaps name a couple of other companies/packages to look into?

Really sorry but have no clue about these things as it will be a first time alarm(in house 12 years shows the way things have gone!)

Thanks again KoolKid.

http://altor.ie/special_offer_11.html

I would also advise to stay clear of eircoms "deals" . They'll catch you out somehow

Most of these offers are never going to suit your needs.
    Like I said get at least 3 quotes, insist on a proper call out to survey your property and make sure you ask all the questions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

You don't need to be an eircom customer. Who your provider is makes no difference whatsoever. If you have broadband, you may need a broadband splitter so there is no interference on the phone line if the power goes.
    If you have UPC or a digital phone, or are thinking of getting rid of the phone line then you get a GSM unit.

(I don't work for phonewatch)

Bad advice on the GSM unit.:eek:
    Monitored alarms work on digital lines like UPC
    Take a look around the forums re GSM jammers.

Advertisement