Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad/atv recommendations

• 11-01-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Thinking about buying a 2nd hand quad for the farm, somewhere around the 400cc size i was thinking,anyone recommend any particular type and good place to buy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

mcflowers wrote: »
    Thinking about buying a 2nd hand quad for the farm, somewhere around the 400cc size i was thinking,anyone recommend any particular type and good place to buy.

honda are by far the best , yamaha are ok too but personally i think their horrible to ride in comparrison to honda

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

2nd hand quad are not a good idea. they are traded in when they are wrecked or near dead. i priced up and engine overhaul kit for a suzuki 400cc and it was more expensive than the quad was worth.
    Suziki is the way to go imo. my dads got a 500cc one and a 650 honda. he uses the suzuki every day. and the honda only once in a blue moon.
    try joe murray in mullingar. he has good 2nd hands some times and he a straight shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mcflowers

like all 2nd hand items you run the risk of running into a bit of trouble,but i'm not willing to pay vast amounts of money for a new one,so will have to go down the 2nd hand route.

Came across quads.ie,anyone dealt with them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

mcflowers wrote: »
    like all 2nd hand items you run the risk of running into a bit of trouble,but i'm not willing to pay vast amounts of money for a new one,so will have to go down the 2nd hand route.

Came across quads.ie,anyone dealt with them?

a new 400cc quad is only around eight grand

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mcflowers

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    a new 400cc quad is only around eight grand
    Well i'd consider €8000 alot of money to spend on a run about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

A lot of people are going to tell you to buy a Honda, and a Honda is a pretty safe bet, but Suzuki and Yamaha are just as good, ( personally I reckon Suzuki is best of all :D) and because people don't realise this they are cheaper on the secondhand market than nearly all Honda's of similar age, size and condition.

I bought a 98 Suzuki Kingquad, its a 300cc 4wd, off a Honda dealer quite cheap. The suzuki wouldn't sell amongst the Honda's and as a result I got it 1500 cheaper than the Honda equivilent, that said it needed a starter clutch, but that wasn't too bad of a job.

Go 4wd for farm work especially if pulling a trailer or the like, It'll be a heavier bike but far superior, as just the resistance of the front wheels can be enough to get you stuck. My Kingquad is a 300 but it has on many occasions put newer, bigger and more powerful bikes to shame in tough going as it has a low and super low range gearbox and a locking front diff. Power is nothing if you dont have a transmission to utlise it. A semi automatic I feel is best, ie: no clutch lever, as it makes the bike easy to use in tough or heavy going, while still giving the rider complete control of the gears.

By a second hand jap bike that has been well minded, even if it has done a lot of work, they go for ever, (well none of my suzuki's ever let me down, not once :cool:). A dealer is really the safest bet, and price shouldn't be too bad cos there is loads on the market, that said if you know you stuff there are bargins to be had in private sales

But at all costs stay away from anything made in china or the like, even the nuts and bolts used to hold them together are poor quality :eek:, I have seen that first hand, even on the best of them. A second hand, quality make would be far more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

The best quad ever made is the Honda 450 ES
    I had one from new a great machine
    Unfortunately I replaced it after 8 years with a new 500 Honda that I am not at all happy with
    Flimsy plastic,heavy on petrol and as far as I am concerned poor traction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

Agree with Massey woman all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭canon5571

I'm just after buying a 01' Honda Foreman 450ES 4x4. I find it a great machine. Bought it off Keys Quads in Enniskillen. Its in good order and new oversized tyres all round. Got a good deal on it. The Electronic Shift transmission is very handy as it does away with clutching. Havent really tested it in heavy ground yet, but my Dad uses the same model of quad in his everday work and it stands up to the test! Just make sure the gears shift up and down freely enough, some of them can get very sticky.
    I was also looking in Clarkes of Cavan. They have a good selection of secondhand Foreman quads, but i got a better deal in the north, especially with sterling exchange rate at the min.
    In a nutshell go with Honda:)
    Let us know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

The best quad ever made is the Honda 450 ES
    I had one from new a great machine
    Unfortunately I replaced it after 8 years with a new 500 Honda that I am not at all happy with
    Flimsy plastic,heavy on petrol and as far as I am concerned poor traction
    i hope thats not a 09 reg.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Looking to buy a quad myself. Don't know much about the pricing of them.
    Would €1500 buy a decent s/hand4wd quad?

Looking to buy a quad myself. Don't know much about the pricing of them.
    Would €1500 buy a decent s/hand4wd quad?

Could be buying a lot of trouble at that money. Unless your sure where a quad came out of, your aswell paying the few pound extra and getting a reliable quad that wont give you any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

canon5571 wrote: »
    Could be buying a lot of trouble at that money. Unless your sure where a quad came out of, your aswell paying the few pound extra and getting a reliable quad that wont give you any hassle.

What do you think would be an entry price for a decent 4wd quad. I'm not really interested in the cheap Chinese stuff out there, would prefer a proper named brand.

In my opinion Honda is the best quad out there. They can seem expensive enough but they are built to last. I know a guy who has a 98' honda from new and he rides the ring out and it still going strong!
    Expect to pay a bit along with 2k for a decent bike, that with a bit of tlc will last a lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Twinloop98

Im looking specifically for a Honda Foreman 500cc with the manual gears with low hrs, anyone know of any mint ones for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

have a yamaha kodiak 450..great bike, got it absolutely swamped the other evening and she still pulled out, it automatic and very easy to drive..never owned a honda but the 450 foreman is a legend , the newer models supposed to be rubbish compared to it.

have a yamaha kodiak 450..great bike, got it absolutely swamped the other evening and she still pulled out, it automatic and very easy to drive..never owned a honda but the 450 foreman is a legend , the newer models supposed to be rubbish compared to it.

we have a honda 450 on the home farm , while a very reliable machine , an absolute pig to ride , steering is akin to a cement mixer but then again honda were never the most refined of all the quads , the 450 was often refered to as being agricultural

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Anyone use a diesel quad? Would be very handy for filling up with farm diesel- for off road use only of course! :rolleyes:

Anyone use a diesel quad? Would be very handy for filling up with farm diesel- for off road use only of course! :rolleyes:

thier are no diesel quads , they made some a number of years back but they were not a success

you can however get what they call a gator which runs on diesel , thier twice the price of a quad though , around 12k new

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

No diesel quads??????????????? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I think there are a few around but not that common
    Polaras made them years ago but they were not supposed to be great

http://www.farmandplant.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2041964

http://www.dieselquads.com/1430/frames.php
    As irish bob said there are jonn deere gators and kawasaki mule in diesel also
    but are dearer than quads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Ive a Kodiak too and they are a brilliant bike, auto leavin er v easy to ride and it does select power and speed very well, also is 2 or 4 wd which is good for road use, honda are a good quad but as irishbob says there a pig to ride horrible steering, i think my kodiak also has a nicer riding position than my mates 450 and my bike is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better in sticky situations and me mate will freely admit to that, honda quads are like toyota cars and massey trctors they got a good me but are not necessarily any better any more !!

DanFindy wrote: »
    Ive a Kodiak too and they are a brilliant bike, auto leavin er v easy to ride and it does select power and speed very well, also is 2 or 4 wd which is good for road use, honda are a good quad but as irishbob says there a pig to ride horrible steering, i think my kodiak also has a nicer riding position than my mates 450 and my bike is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better in sticky situations and me mate will freely admit to that, honda quads are like toyota cars and massey trctors they got a good me but are not necessarily any better any more !!

like your taste there dan :) how often do you service your one and do you get someone to do it for you, that tinney crowd up your way are agents for yamaha i think

DanFindy wrote: »

honda havent been any better than yamaha this years and they say the new hondas are not as good as yamaha but honda hold thier value like no other bike , you will buy a 2nd hand yamaha or suzuki ( which is a perfectly good bike too ) much cheaper than a honda

polaris are a lovely bike to ride but they are not as reliable as the big three and thier are very few dealers in the country , kawasaki have no dealers in the republic at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

I know this probably a silly question.... but what does a quad do and why would someone buy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cartonj

I recently bought a Polaris d-bat diesel quad a very rare machine in Ireland.
    Although it is quite noisy and slow in comparison to petrol versions it is unbelievably well made and would go anywhere.
    Very light on diesel too.

I'd recommend one for farm use if you can find one.

maidhc wrote: »
    I know this probably a silly question.... but what does a quad do and why would someone buy one?

A quad can travel wet ground and hilly mountain ground leaving a very light print, they are quick and manoeverable round the farm for bringing in stricken stock etc, can be used to spray rushes spread fertiliser muck out small yards etc, Main plus is they are very light and can work in fields tractors would make a mess of, And farmers kinda like them ;)

like your taste there dan :) how often do you service your one and do you get someone to do it for you, that tinney crowd up your way are agents for yamaha i think

Aye i get any bits i need through tinneys, i service it myself twice a year which is prob too often cos the bike does very little :p

maidhc wrote: »

well I work full time so often use it during the summer to go to the far end of the place and do herding, its a nice old trek, did a little bit of spraying and alot of licking rushes etc this year, also have a little trailer for it which is really handy, floatation tyres on it it never leaves a mark anywhere, just the other night had a calf born outside in field, popped her in trailer and back into yard with cow following after it, it hauls the bins down to the road every week also as Im a nice bit off main road and truck wont come to my place to collect, there is no job i couldnt do without it I suppose but i find it a handy old thing and the trailer especially saves putting transport box on and off for small jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

well I work full time so often use it during the summer to go to the far end of the place and do herding, its a nice old trek, did a little bit of spraying and alot of licking rushes etc this year, also have a little trailer for it which is really handy, floatation tyres on it it never leaves a mark anywhere, just the other night had a calf born outside in field, popped her in trailer and back into yard with cow following after it, it hauls the bins down to the road every week also as Im a nice bit off main road and truck wont come to my place to collect, there is no job i couldnt do without it I suppose but i find it a handy old thing and the trailer especially saves putting transport box on and off for small jobs

I get you.

We just use a tractor for those jobs, but I think we are fortunate with access and the land being quite dry.

Advertisement