Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

@Mentions

• 10-02-2012 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought this could come in really handy, it works well on facebook from what I've experienced.

Basically if you were to make a post and were referring to somebody, you could notify them of the post by simply putting for example, @cormie, and it would just be a link to my profile and then I'd get an email saying I was mentioned in a post.

Maybe it could be limited to once per thread or something like that but I reckon it could be very useful if it wasn't abused.

Seems to be mods in place for it by the way: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/390090-Is-there-a-mention-system-within-Vbulletin

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

No point in linking to a vBulletin plugin, the vBulletin platform is dead to us now; we're moving away from it.

It is a good suggestion though, and one we'll bear in mind for future development - thanks @cormie .... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Moving away from VB, really? What will you be moving to for the main forum? I thought VB were the best in terms of discussion forum software? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Uh oh, don't get Danny started! I guess it all boils down to the definition of 'best' and how that applies to massive sites like boards!

Is there a best? I don't think so. Is there a "best for our needs"? Yeah. And vBulletin isn't it for us anymore.

We're moving over to our own platform with our own code. For a few more limited details see here

Ah cool :) too much reading in that post so I'll take your word :D

You think @mentions might be possible to throw into that?

• Advertisement

Well it'll be talked about when we make our move, so no promises or anything except to consider it :)

No problem, give me a @mention if it ever happens :D

Maybe the new search could handle such queries. If you made a mention look like @[cormie] (as you have to account for usernames with spaces) then maybe the search could be configured for this and an option in your CP of 'search for your mentions'. The search would just search every instance of "@[cormie]" maybe?

And if, to create a mention, when typing @[ the text box started flipping through names like it does when you use advanced search, on the 'search posts by user..' field, that'd be cool. Or maybe just a clickybutton you hit on the quick reply text box, like the hyperlink box.

Sorry Gordon, not sure if you're suggesting a method to Danny for future implementation, or suggesting a way it can be achieved with the current software? :)

I've no idea, just making a suggestion! Thinking about it more, though, I can see it causing social issues, and hijinx!

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement