Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL regulalr season game in Croke Park ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭ Alyssa CoolS Marijuana

That'd be class.
    Would it sell out?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id be there in seconds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dubpunter

Dan Rooney who is currently the US ambassador to Ireland has always been one of the key players in the labour agreements in the NFL. He has interestingly taken the players side in the current impending lockout and agrees with the players union that 18 games is too many.

I suspect that if Rooney managed to help both sides come to agreement and a lockout is avoided then Rooney will bring his Steelers over to Dublin. I think that the AFC championship game was the first game he got to this year and if he can't get to any of the games in Pittsburg then he'll take them over to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Until I see something from an American soure I won't be too convinced!

Sorry but this kinda just show's how this report has just been thrown together
    irish echo wrote:
    Big Ben’s suggestion has clearly been taken literally and to heart in Dublin where big college football games have been played before enthusiastic crowds in recent years.

When were these games in recent years?! Can't really call something that was in 1996 recent years!!

• Advertisement

The timing of this announcement doesn't seem to be out of place. The Wembley games have traditionally been announced in the few weeks before the Superbowl. However this year with the impending possibility of a lockout nothing can be set in stone. No team is willing to even enter negotiations about playing overseas when they can't be sure of playing any games at all.

However Rooney might be willing to give up a Steelers home game with less advanced warning than most other teams. It would not be out of place for either him and or the NFL to sound out the GAA. As far as I know the away team has no choice in the matter and it is only the home team that must give up a home game. With Rooney over here it has always been a possibility that the Steelers would end up in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Can we wait until we have confirmation of a season in 2011 before we start worrying about whether there's a games at Croker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anthonymc123

jesus that would be brilliant for the country and the ga.......but i dont know if it would work for example the tickets for the wembly version are very expensive and i couldnt see the irish public buying them. after all we wont buy tickets to see our national football team play because they are too expensive i cant see us forking out to see some oversize yanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

It would be great if it did happen.

Timing of what announcement?! So far is has been a Spokesperson for a Minister talking to the Irish Echo and Croke Park's stadium director saying ''Tentative discussions have been held and nothing is definite'' .....oong way from an announcement being made!!!

• Advertisement

Even Florio is dismissing it right now....
    As the Steelers prepare to play in Super Bowl XLV, intrigue already has arisen regarding the possibility that the team will be playing a neutral-site game during the 2011 season.

From the Irish Echo comes word that the Steelers could be heading to Ireland to play a regular-season game next season.

A spokesperson from Ireland’s Minister for Tourism, Culture and Sport, told the Echo that discussions have been held “at the official level” regarding the possibility of a game to be played at the “GAA headquarters,” which has a capacity in excess of 80,000.

The Echo connects the obvious dots back to the Steelers, since chairman Dan Rooney is the current U.S. ambassador to Ireland.

We were prepared to dismiss the report, in part because we’ve yet to find any U.K. publication that generally is regarded as accurate and reliable. But then we noticed something, thanks to a Twitter message from a reader. Under the league’s current scheduling formula, which ostensibly takes each team into every stadium at least once every eight years, the Steelers are due to play “at Arizona” in 2011, even though they played “at Arizona” in 2007.

The Cardinals, who are in a down cycle and who could be destined for a blackout or two in 2011, could be a prime candidate to sacrifice a home game in exchange for the pay day that would come from playing in Europe.

But then we noticed that the games between the AFC West teams and the NFC North teams also feature some repeat locations from 2007, with for example the Bears playing at Oakland for a second straight time. This could mean that Bears-Raiders will be exported to Wembley Stadium, given the recent problems the Raiders have experienced when it comes to selling out their home stadium.

This is all speculation at this point. Though it’s likely that at least one game will be played in the United Kingdon, the league has not said whether two games will be staged there — and none of the teams who’ll potentially play there have been identified.

Not as if we haven't heard this rumour before.

Jan 08

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/croker-nfl-game-could-be-on-cards-1269662.html

But if there is a delay in announcing the international series game for 2011 due to the CBA taking time to negotiate it would be a possibility.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

For info Steelers games for next year are :

Home: BAL, CIN, CLE (all these are Divisional games), JAX, TEN, NE, SEA,SL
    Away: BAL, CIN, CLE (all these are Divisional games), HOU, IND, KC, ARI, SF

If they are to give up a home game likely matchups are JAX, TEN, SEA and SL as NE have recently played at wembley, but I guess you never know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

kmart6 wrote: »

a lot of reference to the 'UK' in that article. Will we have to send them a map of Europe?

The game would sell out, easily. For the games in Wembley, there are loads of mainland Europeans at it. And if one of the superbowl teams were to be scheduled to play, there is no doubt it would generate huge interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'd imagine it'd be like the wembley game where it'd be an AFC team vs a NFC team. It's bad enough for teams giving up home games, but to give up a home game versus a divisional rival is too much. Either way, if this does happen, I'll be there. Galway won't be in croker for a while so this is the best chance haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Imho no chance a Steeler home game moves to Dublin, no chance. If they were to come no doubt it'd be an 'away' game against a team like Jax or Minnesota.

For the record Newstalk are saying they will have Dan Rooney on tue night next on 'Off the ball'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Surely the driver behind this is Rooneys willingness to give up a home game. Any other team would prefer to play in London if giving up a home game I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

could definetely see slot of rugby fans going to this.

I don't follow nfl, mainly cos the times are a bit hard to follow, but i watch it when ever i can and the same goes for a few of my rugby watching mates, would be great to see a live nfl match.

has it happened before in ireland or other countries apart from england?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

evil_seed wrote: »
    I'd imagine it'd be like the wembley game where it'd be an AFC team vs a NFC team. It's bad enough for teams giving up home games, but to give up a home game versus a divisional rival is too much. Either way, if this does happen, I'll be there. Galway won't be in croker for a while so this is the best chance haha :D

Your hurlers are in Leinster now don't forget, you play there every year!

Obviously I hope the Seahawks are picked as their opponents for this game but even if this does go ahead I still think the Meath team of the late 80s will have been the toughest football team to ever play in Croke Park.:cool:

I believe buffalo have played in Toronto, but apart from that it has always been London for Regular season games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

adrian522 wrote: »
    I believe buffalo have played in Toronto, but apart from that it has always been London for Regular season games.

Buffalo have signe up to play some reguualr and pre seasoon games in Toronto. Its not too far away from it so is part of their schedule for thee moment. Niners and Cardinals played a game in Mexico too some years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

Can't see Pitt giving up a home game.

Oak would have been a possible with the support.

Overall the games haven't been great in wembley so maybe go for big supported team. Hence why SF can last time.

Can't see it been in croker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I had a quick scout of three Steelers message boards.
    Two never mentioned the story. I signed up to one but have to make 20 posts before I can start a thread so can't.

One forum welcomed and loved the idea and knew all about the Rooney's connection to Ireland.
    I think they're assuming it's a road game though.
    If they learn it's a home game the message board will go crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jagerluvinliamo

Sadly i think this is just a bit of ass licking between ambassador and ireland at the moment. NFL UK director clearly stated after the last one that the wembley game was in doubt for next year because there may not be enough time to organise if it take ages to agree the new CBA (if it does get agreed).

Take that and the fact they are trying to organise a game in a brand new location and the logistics behind that, plus who would be organising things from this side of the pond, i doubt NFL UK will break their back helping out, so it would be up the government and croke park.

It would have to be a home game aswell it would be very cheeky of the Rooneys to start talking about this and expect some other team to give up a home game. Steelers tickets are one of the most sought after tickets in the nfl so there would be back lash from fans. Also given the trend in wembley it would a non conference match up , so either Seattle or St Louis , better than nothing i suppose.

All far as selling out dont worry, we know Steelers fans can travel and when they get a hint that there are spare tickets about they take over the place :D a trip to Ireland would be like a west coast trip to them.

I'd love if it would happen, although i dread having to endure people next to me not knowing whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

No evidence its going to be a regular season game.

When i saw the headline, the first thing that came to my mind was it would be preseason, because i heard rumours of the Steelers playing a pre-season game in Ireland before.

Athough if the season becomes 18 games with 2 preseason games, there is no reason why they would play one of their 2 preseason games abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Would people pay to watch potential roster players and Rookies though?

The main players will only play for a quarter or 2 at most I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jagerluvinliamo

Definitly wouldnt appeal to the avid fan as much and would risk not selling out. Saying that since Preseason is in August it would probably have to be in Landowne Road, the championship is too busy at that stage. Its not unchartered teritory tough, Steelers played the Bears in a preseason game in Croke Park in the 90s. Notre Dame played Navy the year before.

If its an 18 game season ya its possible the nfl will flog way more regular season games abroad. Its not pie in the sky but the CBA needs to be sorted, it would have to be on the Rooneys initiative aswell because the NFL aint exactly targeting Ireland as a key market

As for letting it in to Croke Park as a non competitor with the gaa, i dunno, i never watch the sunday game on sunday nights in september, they better be careful:D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

If the Steelers ever came to Croke Park i'd start quing in the morning for it,even the thought of it:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Seems like a pipe dream at the moment, just a bit of ass licking as one poster put it

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/sport/sean_oshea/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-wants-to-play-in-ireland-114444649.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Stephen Travers

What do people think about this? obviously on this forum people are all for it but what teams do you think would be involved and who would you hope to see play in Dublin?

Steelers vs. ?

Advertisement