Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ new HD studio?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Having dropped conditions 1 and 4, they should drop conditions 5 (for RTE NN) and 7. They should also require that RTE1+1 is not a sepeerate broadcast so that the likes of Fair City is not forced to be a blank screen.

They could require all they like, the net result would be a strike by Equity members and no Fair City (or any other scripted drama) at all. As it is, the conditions imposed on the RTÉ digital services always seemed very odd to me anyway.

As for the new news studio, no sign of it yet. Though I'm a fan of RTÉ News' current look and in no hurry for it to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The news studio is HD “compatible” only in so far as the LED background, not cameras, vision mixing desk etc. The most appropriate studio to convert to HD would be the sports studio for the Euro finals, Olympics etc. as most HD output at the moment, and the biggest “crowd puller” is sports.

Their plans are laid out in the > rte-hd-playout-facility-technical-requirements document.

Its on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    They could require all they like, the net result would be a strike by Equity members and no Fair City (or any other scripted drama) at all. As it is, the conditions imposed on the RTÉ digital services always seemed very odd to me anyway.

It is only Fair City. They seem to be only able to repeat the show once. Which is unusual for TV show which general have a few repeat episodes. It is the same problem they have with Fair City appearing on RTÉ Player.

Both Raw and Love/Hate have an initial repeat on Thursdays, player and then a repeat later in the year. (Also +1 is allowed). I think Sam is suggesting that RTÉ do away with RTÉ 1 +1 to avoid Fair City's time slot. Fair City will not appear on any other service unless they change the repeat time. It's either repeat the next day on RTÉ One or repeat an hour later on RTÉ One +1 but not both. (It used to be a Omnibus edition at the week end on RTÉ Two).

Had a dream that TV3 +1 and +2 suddenly appeared on Soarview (I am think about this too much!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    It is only Fair City. They seem to be only able to repeat the show once. Which is unusual for TV show which general have a few repeat episodes. It is the same problem they have with Fair City appearing on RTÉ Player.

Both Raw and Love/Hate have an initial repeat on Thursdays, player and then a repeat later in the year. (Also +1 is allowed). I think Sam is suggesting that RTÉ do away with RTÉ 1 +1 to avoid Fair City's time slot. Fair City will not appear on any other service unless they change the repeat time. It's either repeat the next day on RTÉ One or repeat an hour later on RTÉ One +1 but not both. (It used to be a Omnibus edition at the week end on RTÉ Two).

Had a dream that TV3 +1 and +2 suddenly appeared on Soarview (I am think about this too much!).

It is not only Fair City that suffers from this. Other programmes are also given the blank screen treatment. I think the +1 should not be treated as a retransmission but a delayed transmission. One solution would be to allow an alternative to be substituted if the repeat fees are the problem.

In fact, the soltuion is to allow RTE 3/RTE Plus and let them schedule a decent mix taken from the RTE1 schedule for the day but at alternative times. For example show later scheduled programmes earlier in the Plus channel. Not allowing advertising on NN means no journos and no new content. Even so, they could show 'The Week in Politics' at, say, 8PM as it is recorded much earlier.

All of this was used as a big stick that killed RTE's interest in Saorview until after ASO.

All of this was used as a big stick that killed RTE's interest in Saorview until after ASO.

Unfortunately RTÉ clearly stated that RTÉjr would not air at the weekends, that RTÉ NN would not carry advertising and that RTÉ Plus would be RTE One +1 until phase 2 of those channels. Which would only finish in May of this year.

I haven't noticed other programmes getting the blank screen treatment on RTÉ One +1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I haven't noticed other programmes getting the blank screen treatment on RTÉ One +1.

If I recall correctly, either Ear to the Ground or Ecoeye or some such programme was blanked. I'll check the EPG and see how many are in the current schedule.

Mind you BBC blank BBC 1 HD during local news instead of using MHEG to change over and back, or just sticking with the BBC 1[London] varient. Some +1 channels from ITV and CH 4 do it as well.

Unfortunately, RTE do not give a listing on line for RTE 1+1.:(

Checking the EPG, Fair City and Reeling in the Years get the blank screen award this week.

Unfortunately, RTE do not give a listing on line for RTE 1+1.:(

Checking the EPG, Fair City and Reeling in the Years get the blank screen award this week.

Yes, I forgot about Reeling in the Years. They are the only 2.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/listings/ <<< Select Saorview from the dropdown menu beside the dates.

Yes, I forgot about Reeling in the Years. They are the only 2.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/listings/ <<< Select Saorview from the dropdown menu beside the dates.

I think that there are more, all of them RTE productions. I would have thought that they would have got it agreed that the +1 is not counted as rebroadcasting. Blanking the screen is against all sense - they should substitue something else.

I think that there are more, all of them RTE productions. I would have thought that they would have got it agreed that the +1 is not counted as rebroadcasting. Blanking the screen is against all sense - they should substitue something else.

You must be delighted tonight? well just the intro tonight, next week, the credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Do any of ye guys know will rte 1hd be coming to sky service or can I tune it in to sky somehow

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    Do any of ye guys know will rte 1hd be coming to sky service or can I tune it in to sky somehow

New year some time. If you have an aerial and a Saorview approved tv you can flick between sky and Saorview.

Happy Christmas

Advertisement