Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science investigation

• 24-11-2011 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi guys
    I have received titles for science investigations.
    Any ideas?
    Wondering on best method to measure the carbon dioxide in fizzy drinks?
    Collect over water?
    Mass lost as drink goes flat?

Physics looks most straightforward.
    Biology might be risky as plants may not grow.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

Biology. They'll grow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yesiambored

Hi
    I am interested in this too. We just got our projects. Teacher does n't seem to have a clue about the chemistry one. Gonna need help! Anyone with some ideas?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

Hi
    I am interested in this too. We just got our projects. Teacher does n't seem to have a clue about the chemistry one. Gonna need help! Anyone with some ideas?!!

Same with my teacher. One of my friends went looking, she found out one way but I forget what it was. Somehow she collected the gas but I can't remember how she would've measured it. It worked though. She found it on the internet, I'm sure you'll find it too.

I think we'll be doing physics and biology. Not using cress for biology, I don't reckon that'd give a conclusive result, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

This sounds interesting..im in college atm so have no idea about the JC..what are the titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

Lads its simple..
    Biol. - Just get the % of the plants that grow from the fridge and without, or if one is faster, ie without doing it we know the hotter one will grow faster because thats one of the main factors that a plant needs to grow.
    Cem. - Pure the fizzy drink into a long measuring tube and when you pour it in the gas will rise to a certain number, take the number down and take the ml's you have in hte start ie 330ml in a can...youll have the amount of gas from the drink.
    Pysics - get different cups, ie plastic glass srl. put a thomometer in each glass and see how long it takes for each one to get gradually colder.
    Sorry i cant use an scientific terms as i go to an irish school.... but hope this helps anyway :)
    LPT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Not sure what the task is but from the sounds of it its measuring CO2 in fizzy drinks for the chemistry one.

I'd get the weight of the bottles with the drink in them.
    Then shake them a lot and leave them open over night so the co2 can escape.
    Weigh it the next day.
    The difference is the amount of co2 in the drink.

Do it with a few of the same bottles to compare results.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CmlR

Hi
    our teacher told us to research the ones we wanted to do first and i found these websites for the chem one if it helps http://www.ehow.com/how_8699144_measure-dioxide-can-sparkling-water.html
    http://www.science-house.org/index.php/component/content/article/142-how-much-carbon-dioxide-is-in-a-bottle-of-soda

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

I don't think it realllly matters if they grow or not? It will make your coursework unique.
    Our whole class is doing germination and factors affecting heat loss through cups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fannyadams

Anyone doing the biology investigation for 2012 can ye please tell me what ye did for the backround research thanks :D

Advertisement