Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do I kill moss?

• 04-03-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I would really appreciate any advice I can get as I am at a loss as to how to kill the carpet of moss that's growing throughout my back garden.

I have tried raking/scarrifying the lawn and removing the moss that way but it always returns. I have also used moss killer from the garden centre that you sprinkle on the lawn but nothing seems to be doing the job and I am at my wits end.
    It looks like the only way to get rid of it is to remove the lawn and re-turf it but it's a big job as the gardens quite large and funds won't quite stretch that far. I'm also afraid that it might still re-appear after I re-turf the garden and I'd have wasted all that money for nothing.

I have considered just removing the lawn altogether and putting down paving and gravel but I have a number of cats who really enjoy tearing round and rolling in the grass so it's really not an option.

Any hints/tips or ideas would be very gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

MaryK666 wrote: »
    I would really appreciate any advice I can get as I am at a loss as to how to kill the carpet of moss that's growing throughout my back garden.

First; Moss grows mainly when you have compacted soil, over wet/damp soil, shade due to Trees/Buildings etc or inadequate nutrients for the lawn to thrive , determine which conditions is responsible and correct. It is important to understand that until the cause is eliminated, moss will continue to regrow in the affected area.

Second; kill the moss.once dead moss turns black, rake it out of the grass and ALL other areas. and reseed any bare lawn patches.

Also is the soil too acidic? maybe treat with lime to increase the PH.. not sure if this will help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭TheDietShop.ie

I agree with above post, get a good moss killer and wait for the moss to turn black, then get a scarafier (you can buy a blade with springs for about €20 that fits most lawn mowers) this will root out all the dead moss and also dead grass (tatch) Your lawn will look pretty bare but throw down a bit of seed where very bare. Then apply a fertilizer such as 18:6:12 and wait a month to see your beautiful lawn. A fertilizer with a bit of sulpher in it aswell with kill the moss.

As for the damp ground you could try using a garden fork and aerating it.

Follow a program as outlined above 1-2 per year and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

Sulphate of iron aka iron sulphate is the best stuff to use for killing it off. Mix it with some fine sand to make it easier to sprinkle around the lawn.

johno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭TheDietShop.ie

Just looking across at my neighbours lawn, it must be 90% moss. Its a large lawn facing north and very well shaded. He'd need about 5 skips to get rid of all that moss.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

MaryK666 wrote: »

I have tried raking/scarrifying the lawn and removing the moss that way but it always returns. I have also used moss killer from the garden centre that you sprinkle on the lawn but nothing seems to be doing the job and I am at my wits end.
    It looks like the only way to get rid of it is to remove the lawn and re-turf it but it's a big job as the gardens quite large and funds won't quite stretch that far. I'm also afraid that it might still re-appear after I re-turf the garden and I'd have wasted all that money for nothing.

I have considered just removing the lawn altogether and putting down paving and gravel but I have a number of cats who really enjoy tearing round and rolling in the grass so it's really not an option.

OP - you can hire a scarifier/aerator which will remove moss/thatch/dead grass as well piercing holes in lawn surface allowing water to drain but also oxygen into the grass roots.

Lawns can become jaded over time, and often owners underestimate just how much time and effort goes into looking after a lawn and keeping it lush and healthy. Ideally monthly feeding and watering is required.

If the moss has developed slowly over time, then remedial works like above should be done followed by the application of lawnsand which will resolve any residual moss not removed by scarifying area. However if the moss has always be present then this would indicate that the area is suffering from inadequate drainage. To resolve this would involve removing existing lawn, rotovating soil and improving drainage and sowing/installing a new lawn. Avoid simply changing grass, because the funadmental issues will quickly become evident with new lawn.

I agree with your cats, a good healthy lawn is the pride and joy of any garden and a wonderful space in which to relax! Clever cats!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

That gardening guy that writes in the sun newspaper on a saturday recommended some new product 2/3 weeks ago for getting rid of moss and you didn't even need to rake it after. I can't remember the name though.:rolleyes:

Maybe fire him off an e-mail.

Advertisement