Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Licence

• 08-12-2009 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

Just a quick question in relation to applying for a firearm's licence.
    I have the firearm cert application form filled in but
    there is a section = Previous History, which I need a help with. It asks "Have you ever been found guilty of, or do you have charges pending for, any offence in Ireland or abroad?
    Now, I was in court 4 yrs ago, in 2005 in relation to a very small amount of canabis that a guard found on me. Just woundering, will this go against my application? :confused: I also answered yes to the above question and also have a firearm training cert but have not yet sent of this application form. And also have a deposit paid on a shotgun.

If anyone would know anything about this, I would be greatful for some feedback.

Cheers, Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

your best bet is arrange a meeting with the superintendent and have a chat with him and explain your predictament
    take it from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

paul 12g wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just a quick question in relation to applying for a firearm's licence.
    I have the firearm cert application form filled in but
    there is a section = Previous History, which I need a help with. It asks "Have you ever been found guilty of, or do you have charges pending for, any offence in Ireland or abroad?
    Now, I was in court 4 yrs ago, in 2005 in relation to a very small amount of canabis that a guard found on me. Just woundering, will this go against my application? :confused: I also answered yes to the above question and also have a firearm training cert but have not yet sent of this application form. And also have a deposit paid on a shotgun.

If anyone would know anything about this, I would be greatful for some feedback.

Cheers, Paul.

good advice from endasmail, hide nothing from them on your application, fill it in that you have had a conviction and either write out an explanatory letter and hand it in along with he application or go along and discuss it,
    I know lads who have done worse in their past and the garda let it be water under the bridge, an open policy is the best way forward;).
    You wont be the only person who ticked that box!..good luck with your application:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome aboard paul 12g,

Your super like most others will be up to his eyes in applications so a meeting, while a good idea, may not be necessary from the get-go. Your previous conviction will turn up whether you declare it or not when they do the back round check. Their biggest concern would be convictions for violent conudct and the sort (imho). No-one but your Super can decide whether it will be a problem or not so anything i or others say would be simple conjecture.

Send off your application and on the "additional information" sheet write a small note outlining your position and provide your contact details again and an agreement to meet should it be necessary. Its easy to say but try not to overstress about it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Removing the post I put here as I reckon it had little to do with the tread, sorry.

HJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

????
    This has nothing to do with suicide prevention.

Go and talk to the super.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paul 12g

thanks lads for the info ... if any more info tat can help me plz let me no thanks again

Advertisement