Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU for engineering?

• 20-02-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Any idea on what the course is like?
    At the moment mechatronics looks brilliant because it looks to be the closest to renewable energy.
    I should get enough points to enter any other engineering course in Dublin including UCD or Trinity but they dont offer Mechatronics and they'd require a long enough commute.
    If anyone could tell me what job prospects are like for DCU engineering and for mechatronics
    Any experience or opinions would be really really appreciated!!!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

You sure mechatronic is where you need to go for renewable energy? I would have thought mechanical myself, I know of mechanical graduates working and researching in this field

UL for example:
    http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Faculties/Science_&_Engineering/Departments/Mechanical_&_Aeronautical_Engineering/Courses/LM073/Energy

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Any idea on what the course is like?
    At the moment mechatronics looks brilliant because it looks to be the closest to renewable energy.
    I should get enough points to enter any other engineering course in Dublin including UCD or Trinity but they dont offer Mechatronics and they'd require a long enough commute.
    If anyone could tell me what job prospects are like for DCU engineering and for mechatronics
    Any experience or opinions would be really really appreciated!!!!:D

I was at DCU and just wrote my masters thesis (from the mechanical side) on CFD of wind turbines. So the renewables research is there. Also I am aware of a few DCU mechatronic grads in renewables fields such as in wavebob. DCU Engineering programs are excellent, and having working in Europe and now in the US I feel it has more than prepared me for my roles. Any specific questions let me know. I did biomedical undergrad and a Mechanical postgrad in DCU

• Registered Users Posts: 43 A Fine Gent

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    I was at DCU and just wrote my masters thesis (from the mechanical side) on CFD of wind turbines. So the renewables research is there. Also I am aware of a few DCU mechatronic grads in renewables fields such as in wavebob. DCU Engineering programs are excellent, and having working in Europe and now in the US I feel it has more than prepared me for my roles. Any specific questions let me know. I did biomedical undergrad and a Mechanical postgrad in DCU

Just wondering whats INTRA like overall? Do many people get taken on by their work experience employers? and is it paid?
    And would you go with mechanical, electronics or mechatronics for renewable energy? Wind turbines and hydroelectricity are my main interests if that narrows it down

Thanks a million for the response by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Just wondering whats INTRA like overall? Do many people get taken on by their work experience employers? and is it paid?
    And would you go with mechanical, electronics or mechatronics for renewable energy? Wind turbines and hydroelectricity are my main interests if that narrows it down

Would go down the mechanical route to be honest. In terms of design the mechanical engineers will design these products and use electrical engineers to configure it usually as we are generally crap at the electrical side.

Plenty of research being done into wind energy and hydro.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

I stand by my decision with mechanical. I would say keep an open mind going in and find out what interests you. First year is common for all Engineers in DCU (Back in 2002 it wasn't) so you can find out what interests you. Intra was the reason I went to DCU over others, all more schools do it now but DCU is pretty established in companies for students. You need to be paid at least minimum wage, often more. Often the come back year after year and hire candidates out of school. I did mine in Automotive in Germany. I know it helped me when going for jobs after finishing up. You cover the fundamental of fluids and other techniques used in those fields. You can always decide you final year project and use it to give you an entry way into renewables. There was talk in the faculty of doing a sustainable course but I am not sure if it was just talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

cant really say anything about DCU as im in DIT but regarding renewables there is hugely growing emphasis on renewables in electrical engineering at the moment (again im speaking from a dit dtudents point of view). but maybe you could look into electrical engineering in DCU?
    Just a thought anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I went to DCU and did Mechatronics. I'm currently back where I did my INTRA placement for a 9 month project and did another 6 month project there a few years ago.

INTRA itself is a bit of a mixed bag. I didn't do that much for the 6 months. I kinda just stayed out of the way and did the few tasks I was given, which had some relevance to the course. Some lads got great great experience and some did almost nothing course related. I was kinda in the middle, which suited me at the time.

As for renewables. I'm sure there are many avenues in to the renewable field. A company I used to work for supplied the electrical panels and process control & monitoring software for a wave farm. I had left the company by then so my sucessor got to do the project. I have worked on some energy managment projects though.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

Hi AFG, what course did you pick in the end? I'm considering transferring Mechatronics in DCU if they'll have me. I'm in my final year of a level 7 in electrical and electronic systems in DKIT and have some experience working on the mechanical side of things.
    Pete the Drummer if there was any, at what year did transfer students who had completed an ordinary degree elsewhere course join your course? The website just says maybe year 2, maybe 3. Also when is the INTRA? After Christmas in year 3 for 6 months or when? I made a general inquiry to DCU about this already but instead of answering my questions, I was just told to fill out an application before July 1st. So anything you can tell me would be of help. I plan on going to the open day next month to see what the set up is like but a little prior knowledge would be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Ging Ging wrote: »
    Hi AFG, what course did you pick in the end? I'm considering transferring Mechatronics in DCU if they'll have me. I'm in my final year of a level 7 in electrical and electronic systems in DKIT and have some experience working on the mechanical side of things.
    Pete the Drummer if there was any, at what year did transfer students who had completed an ordinary degree elsewhere course join your course? The website just says maybe year 2, maybe 3. Also when is the INTRA? After Christmas in year 3 for 6 months or when? I made a general inquiry to DCU about this already but instead of answering my questions, I was just told to fill out an application before July 1st. So anything you can tell me would be of help. I plan on going to the open day next month to see what the set up is like but a little prior knowledge would be a good thing.

When I did Mechatronics back in the day - transfer students came in at 3rd year. Most of them done diplomas in mechatronics however; so not sure if that would hinder you. Your lack of Mechanical qualifications may be an issue.

INTRA was from April to October (6 months) when I was there.. and 3rd year was mainly project based with a few exams as well in the first semester...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

When I did Mechatronics, I think 2 people came in 2nd year and 1 came in third year. Or something like that, different people came at different times. It depends what you have done before.

This was back in the late 90s, so i don't know what selection criteria they use these days. You might get a precise answer by ringing someone in the Engineering department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

Sorry to bump an old thread but I wish I had seen this before now. Just looking for something else and this popped up. I'm a 4th year Mechatronics student in DCU at the moment. It's really a great course to do and Intra is a big help. It's a 6 month placement for all of the engineering courses except for manufacturing engineering with business studies. They do 9 months but I don't think their degree is even an engineering degree at the end. Anyway, I got great experience with the company I worked for and I'm currently doing my final year project for them which is hugely helpful to have extra funding.

Anyway, for anyone thinking of transferring in after doing a level 7, I just had to find this info out for someone recently so I may as well put it up here. If you have a 1.1 (over 70%) average in the level 7 course you can transfer directly into third year. 2.1 (between 60 and 70%) will get you into second year. Less than a 2.1 and I think you have to start in first year again but I'm not 100% certain on that one. Ging Ging unless you've actually done courses in the mechanical side of things, I'd say you'd have to go into second year of mechatronics, otherwise you'd be missing some of the feeder modules for third and fourth year. The one I asked my lecturer about directly was the level 7 mechatronics course in blanch into the one in DCU.

If you've any more questions on it feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you out.

Advertisement