Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android for HP touchpad (WebOs)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Anyone?

Hi Rowley, I was unable to update my original post to include the installation of the clockwork recovery file

The easiest thing to do to get you up and running is to download the above zip file and connect up the touchpad to your computer as you did previously and copy the zip file to the cminstall folder on the sdcard. Then like before reboot and hold the buttons to get the big USB symbol and then run the novacom command in my original post and this should install the clockwork recovery and give you the menu. Note that I never had to unzip the update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip file, I just copied it into the cminstall folder the same time I did the other ones and it installed automatically. I believe the novacom installer command we use for the acmeinstaller installs anything thats in the cminstall folder so it should do the trick.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Just to update this post to include the clockwork recovery zip.

How to install CM7 3.5 Android Gingerbread on your HP Touchpad.

1. For anyone else doing this the only app you need to install on your computer is the novacom, you can get it directly from here. This will install the Novacom drivers into the folder C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc (for windows).

2. Download Acmeinstaller, and CM7 3.5 Alpha, Clockwork Recovery and moboot from the links in here. Easiest thing to do is put the files (4 files) in same folder as the Novacom above.

3. Boot up TouchPad and connect usb cable from touchpad to computer. Follow instructions to connect as a USB drive etc.

4. Go to the drive that mounted on your computer and create a folder called "cminstall" and copy the 4 files downloaded from step 2 into it. (you prob dont need the acmeinstaller but stick it there anyway, no harm no foul)

5. Unmount the touchpad, disconnect cable if you had to, I did. Once touchpad comes back to life, plug in USB again but dont go to USB Drive, select close instead.

6. Reboot the TouchPad. (settings-->device info-->reset options-->reboot) When screen goes completely black hold the volume up button till a big USB icon appears on the touchpad.

8. On your computer, open a DOS window and go to the "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc" folder and run the command "novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller"

9. Should start running loads of script on the touchpad, give it a couple of minutes and it will reboot into menu and choose the CyanogenMod Alpha 3.5 install to boot into.

10. I noted that android market was missing from the install of CM3.5. I downloaded the google apps pack from the wiki and followed the instructions from this youtube clip.

11. You can also overclock the touchpad on WebOS if you follow this threads instructions. I believe you can also use SetCPU to overclock on Android but I have not done this yet.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

bazual wrote: »
    Hi Rowley, I was unable to update my original post to include the installation of the clockwork recovery file

The easiest thing to do to get you up and running is to download the above zip file and connect up the touchpad to your computer as you did previously and copy the zip file to the cminstall folder on the sdcard. Then like before reboot and hold the buttons to get the big USB symbol and then run the novacom command in my original post and this should install the clockwork recovery and give you the menu. Note that I never had to unzip the update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip file, I just copied it into the cminstall folder the same time I did the other ones and it installed automatically. I believe the novacom installer command we use for the acmeinstaller installs anything thats in the cminstall folder so it should do the trick.

Cheerseers.

Cheers, will try that. Really enjoying android on the touchpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

bazual wrote: »
    Just to update this post to include the clockwork recovery zip.

How to install CM7 3.5 Android Gingerbread on your HP Touchpad.

1. For anyone else doing this the only app you need to install on your computer is the novacom, you can get it directly from here. This will install the Novacom drivers into the folder C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc (for windows).

2. Download Acmeinstaller, and CM7 3.5 Alpha, Clockwork Recovery and moboot from the links in here. Easiest thing to do is put the files (4 files) in same folder as the Novacom above.

3. Boot up TouchPad and connect usb cable from touchpad to computer. Follow instructions to connect as a USB drive etc.

4. Go to the drive that mounted on your computer and create a folder called "cminstall" and copy the 4 files downloaded from step 2 into it. (you prob dont need the acmeinstaller but stick it there anyway, no harm no foul)

5. Unmount the touchpad, disconnect cable if you had to, I did. Once touchpad comes back to life, plug in USB again but dont go to USB Drive, select close instead.

6. Reboot the TouchPad. (settings-->device info-->reset options-->reboot) When screen goes completely black hold the volume up button till a big USB icon appears on the touchpad.

8. On your computer, open a DOS window and go to the "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc" folder and run the command "novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller"

9. Should start running loads of script on the touchpad, give it a couple of minutes and it will reboot into menu and choose the CyanogenMod Alpha 3.5 install to boot into.

10. I noted that android market was missing from the install of CM3.5. I downloaded the google apps pack from the wiki and followed the instructions from this youtube clip.

11. You can also overclock the touchpad on WebOS if you follow this threads instructions. I believe you can also use SetCPU to overclock on Android but I have not done this yet.

Enjoy.

Cheers for this.
    I followed this you tube video and it worked perfectly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=997I8k1AIzc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Haven't gotten around to installing CM Recovery yet but did run into some pretty serious WiFi issues at the weekend. Tablet would not connect to WiFi and any button press in WiFi settings would lead to a force close.

This is the fix I used, no problems since.
    su "enter
    rm -rf /data/misc/wifi && reboot "enter" in terminal

• Advertisement

I have CM7 installed. It had been running fine for the last week but now it reboots itself every couple of mins.
    I have tried a hard reset but no joy.
    Anyone know how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Wipe and reinstall?

Meesared wrote: »
    Wipe and reinstall?

Yea might wipe it- what do I use to wipe it?
    I'd alpha 3.5 the latest version?

iggy wrote: »
    I have CM7 installed. It had been running fine for the last week but now it reboots itself every couple of mins.
    I have tried a hard reset but no joy.
    Anyone know how to fix this?

I've run into the same problem this evening, any fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I just saw this today... interesting: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/13/hps-touchpad-running-ice-cream-sandwich-mmmm-thanks-cm9-vide/

Icecream sandwich on HP touchpad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Sniipe wrote: »
    I just saw this today... interesting: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/13/hps-touchpad-running-ice-cream-sandwich-mmmm-thanks-cm9-vide/

Icecream sandwich on HP touchpad
    Looks good. I wonder whether I'll have a stable Icecream sandwich on my touchpad or my galaxy s2 first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭long_b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Been using the alpha version for a day now. Amazed at how smoothly it runs despite it being such an early build. The DPI isn't ideal so things don't look as sharp as they could, but this is apparently going to be sorted in the upcoming versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

HP releases Android kernel for TouchPad

Should progress nicely now! Nice one HP

HP releases Android kernel for TouchPad

Should progress nicely now! Nice one HP

The dev said it'll help a bit with fringe stuff (like Bluetooth) but it won't help with the missing stuff (like hardware acceleration).
    Shows goodwill from HP alright though.

I could almost leave WebOS entirely now, not quite but it very nearly there, still a few little bugs, but nothing major.

long_b wrote: »
    That's alpha 1 you've linked to there by the way, alpha 2 was out yesterday and includes Netflix support!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

griffdaddy wrote: »
    That's alpha 1 you've linked to there by the way, alpha 2 was out yesterday and includes Netflix support!

Ding Ding Ding!!! And that's just the info I was waiting for!
    Time to get my tab upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Would the instructions above from bazual still be the best way to go about this upgrade?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76219575&postcount=63

(obviously I'll need to find the links to the newer release etc)

thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

god's toy wrote: »
    Ding Ding Ding!!!

Ice cream man, ice cream man.

/end offtopic post.

Linked there for the easy to follow instructions - I find the rootzwiki page a tad intimidating myself :)

Just put Alpha2 on it today and find it very very good.

I had a few problems with the igapps file I had and it kept rebooting.
    I changed the igapps to 'gapps-ics-20120215-zip' and it's working great.

I got pissed off with it so I Acmeuninstalled android and ran WebOS doctor on the WebOS and started from scratch.
    The YouTube vids on rootzwiki are good to follow.
    The guys name is reverendkyle and he has an android app in the market called Revtv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Running alpha 2 now took about 30 mins or so cos I wasn't used to the acme installer stuff

Impressive so far!!! Is there any solution for flash player?

neacy69 wrote: »
    Running alpha 2 now took about 30 mins or so cos I wasn't used to the acme installer stuff

Solution to what? It works fine :s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Meesared wrote: »
    neacy69 wrote: »

Solution to what? It works fine :s

I had to uninstall flash and reinstall the new version to get it to work
    Working great for me altho i think tge battery might be draining a bit quicker than before...

Also i had to uninstall/reinstall a few apps to gwt them to work

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers was waotomg for this to update my touchpad.
    It's a pretty slick OS, was waiting for ICS.
    the install was very easy.
    Browser is very snappy, I really like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Finally bothered to put CM9 on. It's fantastic. Few bugs, such as audio out not working, camera not working, microphones not working but these are driver issues I'm led to believe.

Does anyone else's email force close when they open the app? I've had this problem since the pre-alpha. I'm sure if I installed a third party app it would help, but I haven't gotten around to it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Does anyone else's email force close when they open the app? I've had this problem since the pre-alpha. I'm sure if I installed a third party app it would help, but I haven't gotten around to it yet

I opened my email app there for the first time and it ran fine. I just use gmail though.

If this is a big issue for you, you could get your mail forwarded to your gmail account and attach a label to it to separate it.

Advertisement