Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

To be honest we have been lucky that as poor as we have been on the past we still have rarely been destroyed by 4:15 or scores like that. I fear that although we improved in the League that we are still going to lag behind the top 8 come Championship.

I know I come across as negative in these threads regarding our footballers but I realistically think we are getting caught out sooner rather than later this year.

Mayo are better guys. The average Mayo player is better than the our Paul Conroys. They can't possibly get worse than last year. It will be interesting to see how they get on with Conor "Micheal Jackson" Mortimer though.

If we end up in the Qualifiers though we are yet again ****ed. We always get shown up for our lack of hunger and drive by the Donegals and Meaths of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Diabhal, Mayo really aren't all that great. They're well beatable. Their win over us in the league was the only reason we went down and they didn't, and Galway were playing very poorly at the time anyway so I wouldn't read too much into that result. It will count for nothing when the ball is thrown in in Castlebar. Right now they'd be slight favs, if only for the fact that it's in Castlebar. Connaught overall is poor at the moment, and it won't take much winning.

In the last 4 years we've had OK League campaigns that led us into the championship with optimism. We have one Connacht title to show for it.

We're going in this year looking as shaky and nervy as ever before if not worse. We have more realistic challengers than ever before. Only Leitrim have very little chance of winning Connacht (Although not impossible by any means).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Nine changes to the Galway team to play Waterford this Sunday:

J Grealish, D Joyce, S Kavanagh, D Collins, D Burke, T Og Regan, A Cullinane, B Daly, J Coen, K Hynes Iarla Tannian, A Callanan, D Hayes, J Canning, E Forde.

Is this now McIntyre's starting 15 for the championship, or is it a knee-jerk reaction from the Tipp debacle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Is this now McIntyre's starting 15 for the championship, or is it a knee-jerk reaction from the Tipp debacle?

From the league matches I saw, it was clear that Galway had a problem in the full back line. That full back line of Joyce, Kavanagh & Collins does look relatively strong though and should improve things.

I'd prefer to keep Tannian at number 14 as he has been doing really well there. So I would have put Canning at number 11. Maybe they will swap anyway.

Not sure about that midfield - Dont know a whole lot about them really so will keep an open mind.

I'd imagine there are still places to be won on that team come championship...

• Advertisement

Do we rate Tannian? I personally don't but he can have good days.

Do we rate Tannian? I personally don't but he can have good days.

Hard to know with Tannian. When he's good he can be very good but other days he can be anonymous, and he's never really done it yet in a big game. So I'd say the jury is still out. But I'd stick with him for now as he's had a pretty good league so far.

My championship forward line would look something like this.

10. Eanna Ryan 11. Joe Canning 12. Aoungus Callanan

13. Damien Hayes 14. Iarla Tannian 15. Joe Gantley

I'm picking Joe Gantley ahead of Niall Healy for the simple reason that Gantley has done well when coming on as a sub and he deserves a chance to show what he can do from the start now. And Niall Healy blows hot and cold. More cold than hot in all honesty.

Young Joseph Cooney looks a great prospect aswell, good to see that genetics is alive and well in Bullaun/New Inn !!!

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Hard to know with Tannian. When he's good he can be very good but other days he can be anonymous, and he's never really done it yet in a big game. So I'd say the jury is still out. But I'd stick with him for now as he's had a pretty good league so far.

I'm picking Joe Gantley ahead of Niall Healy for the simple reason that Gantley has done well when coming on as a sub and he deserves a chance to show what he can do from the start now. And Niall Healy blows hot and cold. More cold than hot in all honesty.

Young Joseph Cooney looks a great prospect aswell, good to see that genetics is alive and well in Bullaun/New Inn !!!

Healy?

Do you mean you were close to picking him?... seems like you were talking like he currently starts which he hasn't in a few years(only the odd subs appearance)

He only has around 2 subs appearances in the league this year, no starts afaik.

He has a serious amount of players ahead of him these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if Callanan switches with Hayes(on sunday), he only seems to be handy for the odd goal(on that alone anyone is worth a place) while not doing much else, can't see him doing much work in that line and since Hayes played there a lot they may switch if things aren't going well, same for JC and Iarla.

I'm not sure about Ryan, He started woefully against Tipp last year but finished with a decent return, league form has been much like Callanan, has popped up occasionally but anonymous at times.

I think we have too many players like that, you have JC and Hayes going full whack for the 70(JC on ability and Hayes on ability and passion, most passionate Galway player by a mile) while the other 4-6(depending on selection) just go through the motions, occassionally scoring a point or a goal here or there, but never grabbing the initiative.

We need more leaders to emerge up front, or we can expect more Tipp 2010 and Waterford 2009 days to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

Good luck to the u 21`s today a couple of them really impressed me the last day. Hard to see them beating Cork though. The future looks bright for Killerin:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The futures bright lads :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Super win for the u21's tonight, I really did not see that coming, it was a very good cork team ye beat - best of luck in the final.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just watched the match on TG4
    Galway started very well indeed and literally owned midfield throughout the first half - despite this, they were a point down at ht.
    Cork were 0-11 V 0-07 up after 45 mins. Galway got it back to 11 V 9 when Aidan Walsh went off for Cork. He was playing poorly but had been coming back into it just before falling awkwardly. In the 51th min Galway goaled to lead 1-10 V 0-11. In those 6 mins Galway won this match - scoring 1-3.
    There were some very good points scored by both teams but some of the kicking was also pretty dire - especially by Cork in the final 10mins.
    Cork I thought did not play as well as they could but all credit to the underdogs who performed well and proceed to the final, an unusual pairing!
    An Ghaillimh 1-11 in aghaidh Corcaigh 0-12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Jeez, Aidan, can't imagine anyone else anywhere picking Joe Gantley to start; far too like Donnellan for my taste. Very awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Was at the Dublin game last week and the U21 yesterday, after what I've seen in the last few matches I think I'd get rid of half that senior team, at least, and put in the U21s. That team I saw yesterday with Joyce and Meehan around them could be something special.

The two midfielders are exceptional. Far, far better than players like Bergin who hasn't learned anything new in about 10 years.

In the forwards Sweeney, Boyle, Farragher and Hehir could easily replace players like Mathew Clancy (still living on that goal against Tyrone in 2001), Concannon, Conroy.

Defence was very solid as well. Duane in particular is a cracking centre back, but it really is as a unit they work so well. In the last ten minutes when Cork were pressuring to get level they defended exceptionally well and gave away not a single stupid, easily kickable free to Cork. Great stuff, even taking into account some bad misses by Cork. Senior half back could do well to learn from them.

Maybe this sounds like a rant against the seniors or blind praise for the 21s, but it's been a good few years since I saw anything in Galway football to get excited about.

Beaten by Waterford so we miss out on the Final. Disappointing performance is what I'm hearing from a lot of people at the match.

Beaten by Waterford so we miss out on the Final. Disappointing performance is what I'm hearing from a lot of people at the match.

TG4 showed it there, just finished a few minutes.

Another woeful performance, you'd honestly think we have 4/5 less players then the other team.

Waterford backs were able to clear the ball with ease, either themselves or by laying it off, next to no pressure.
    Then we'd find ourselves being hooked and all sorts down our end.

Forwards were getting swamped, players not supporting, you'd have to wonder where these free players are standing if 2/3 are going to swamp the man with the ball, where are the free lads hiding?

We must have been hooked at a ratio of 5:1,

I've never played the game, but I'd imagine if someones on your heels and you want to hit it, you'd need to step off to the side to avoid a hook, lack of communication must be a factor.

I honestly think we have the players, the players to at least put us firmly third if nothing else, the way we play though is so predictable and flat.
    We don't make use of free players in attack and the marking without the ball is beyond poor.

I think this should be this managements last year, our performances have been very poor bar one or two league games.

Was at the Dublin game last week and the U21 yesterday, after what I've seen in the last few matches I think I'd get rid of half that senior team, at least, and put in the U21s. That team I saw yesterday with Joyce and Meehan around them could be something special.

The two midfielders are exceptional. Far, far better than players like Bergin who hasn't learned anything new in about 10 years.

In the forwards Sweeney, Boyle, Farragher and Hehir could easily replace players like Mathew Clancy (still living on that goal against Tyrone in 2001), Concannon, Conroy.

Defence was very solid as well. Duane in particular is a cracking centre back, but it really is as a unit they work so well. In the last ten minutes when Cork were pressuring to get level they defended exceptionally well and gave away not a single stupid, easily kickable free to Cork. Great stuff, even taking into account some bad misses by Cork. Senior half back could do well to learn from them.

Maybe this sounds like a rant against the seniors or blind praise for the 21s, but it's been a good few years since I saw anything in Galway football to get excited about.

The midfielders are only 18 however, a while away yet from senior football, and have a bit of bulking up to do. (I'm gonna gloat about spotting Flynn a mile off, recycle back a few pages :pac:) A couple of the forwards could be drafted into the seniors alright along with Danny Cummins there already. Forde and Duane should obviously keep their place on the senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I think its becoming clear to me that McItyre has no idea what his 15 will be for the Championship, and we at the end of the league.

Farragher will be back in Midfeild, but who will be with him? One of the two in mid today, or will Kevin Hynes slot back?

Who is the half foward line? Choose from Tannion, Harte, Donnelan, Andy Smith, Eanna Ryan or Cooney Jr. Is this a wealth of talent, every managers best nightmare? No, this lot is every managers worst nightmare. With the exception of Ryan, and Cooney of whom it is too early to judge, they are poor.
    If this seems unfair criticism, ask yyourself how many of these would make the Tipp or KK half forward line. Answer? None. Andy Smith wouldn't even get on either panel.

In the full forward line, its Joe, with an ageing and injury prone Hayes, and one of Callinan, Healy, Gantley and a few others.

Basically, the only forward of six who is guaranteed to get into Tipp/Cats foward 6 is Joe.

And thats why there will be no Liam McCarthy this year, or indeed any year from this particular group of players.

As for football, great news in the U-21s over the weekend.
    Allied to the fact that our Minor tean should be strong this year due in part of Jarlaths getting to Hogan final, the future is possibly bright.

meriwether wrote: »

And thats why there will be no Liam McCarthy this year, or indeed any year from this particular group of players.

Allied to the fact that our Minor tean should be strong this year due in part of Jarlaths getting to Hogan final, the future is possibly bright.

I agree with most of what you say, but look at Clarinbridge, The U-21 footballers just from this county (this year) providing testimony that nothing is a given in sport.

I think the main problem is how we play, there doesn't seem to be any game plan and I personally think we're not getting the best out of this group of players.

We should have also reached the minor final last year, we through away an 8 point lead or something along those lines IIRC.

Amazing to think that with the seniors finally hitting bottom(after 10years) we've not just gone and won our first U-21 game since WINNING the thing in 2005 but we're now favourites to win it and should probably be minor champions as well.

I think its becoming clear to me that McItyre has no idea what his 15 will be for the Championship, and we at the end of the league.

I don't think that McIntyre ever really knew who his starting 15 for the championship would be - he seems to be trying out a load of players, but all of them are much the same - none of them are a stand-out (with the exception of Canning).

I thought that our level of hurling ability today was atrocious - how many times did we see a Galway man trying to pick up the ball and then loose it. Some Galway players seem to think its too much to ask them to bend their backs and get control of the ball. The defense don't seem to know how to man mark - they all get drawn to the opponent in possession and often leave their own marker completly loose. No wonder we concede such huge scores.

The 1/2 forward line can't seem to win their own puck-out - God, how many years are we saying that for now. I never thought I'd say this but oh for the days of Joe Rabbitte!!!!

This is not an over-reaction to today's result - Waterford were the better team - but Galway never seem to be able to learn from their mistakes. IMO their is no All-Ireland in this team. They don't have the necessary cutting in them to get the "dirty ball" - they just hope it will be handed on a plater to them.

There was a bet taken out in a bookies a few years ago in Galway that Joe Canning would never win a senior All-Ireland with Galway dfuring his career. I think that that bet will, unfortunatly, come true. Now I know some people will come on here and say "show some support" or "we have one of the strongest underage set-ups in the country" but what has that gotten us in the last 20 years?? Minor and U-21 All-Irelands are all well and good to win, but that should not be the limit of young hurlers' aspirations - they should drive on to win a Senior. But for some reason they seem content to rest on thir laurels....

• Advertisement

Kojak wrote: »
    Minor and U-21 All-Irelands are all well and good to win, but that should not be the limit of young hurlers' aspirations - they should drive on to win a Senior. But for some reason they seem content to rest on thir laurels....

It's not that.....college, drink and the craic is too plentiful and too much of a temptation in this great county of ours

A mixed weekend. A fantastic and very welcome win for the U-21 footballers. Best result from a Galway football team in a long time. They really ground it out and showed the kind of heart and determination that's been sadly lacking in our senior team over the last couple of years.

As for the hurlers, hugely disappointing yet again. People are slagging off McIntyre for not knowing our best 15, but I wouldn't knock him too much. The problem is that Galway have a huge amount of players that are in or around the same sort of level, but there's very few that actually stand out. We have more 'good' hurlers than any other county, but what we're missing is those few great players that make the difference.

Think of the last Galway team to win an All-Ireland. Pete Finnerty, Tony Keady, Joe Cooney, Martin Naughton, Eanna Ryan, Michael Coleman, Hopper McGrath etc. That's what it takes. And the players we have now just aren't living up to that standard. A league that started well has ended with a whimper, and it's hard to know what to expect now ahead of the championship. A Leinster semi against Dublin is going to be a serious test that's for sure.

There was a bet taken out in a bookies a few years ago in Galway that Joe Canning would never win a senior All-Ireland with Galway dfuring his career. I think that that bet will, unfortunatly, come true.

Please tell me you meant that tongue in cheek?

You do realise he's 22, so your saying we won't win one for 10years?. Really not giving a chance to some lads who would still be in primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

well it`s 23 years since the last one

I see my selection of Joe gantley didn't go down so well! I'd stand by my other picks, but I appreciate Gantley is a controversial inclusion alright. He's done well when coming on as a sub though.

Really hard to know where the hurlers are headed at this stage. All the same old failings are there, and after 7 league games and with the championship round the corner we're no closer to a settled team.

Anyone know where the U-21 final will be played?

Please tell me you meant that tongue in cheek?

You do realise he's 22, so your saying we won't win one for 10years?. Really not giving a chance to some lads who would still be in primary school.

I was 100% serious when I said that. How long has it been since we won a Senior All-Ireland - 23 years this september. Galway produce great minor teams but rarely translate that into U-21 success (we only have to win 2 games to be u-21 champions but we have only done it twice) in comparison with 5 minor all-irelands since the turn of the century. Galway don't know how to develop these good underage players into top-class inter-county seniors.

I would love to say that I am wrong with regard to galway not winning a Senior for the next ten years, but the signs are not good. Look at 2008 and the defeat against Cork - it was pure sickening. One man scoring 2-12 but the rest of the players could only muster 3 points between them. Then the year later, they let a 3 point lead slip against Waterford and lost by one. So you would have thought that Galway would have learnt their lesson for the next season. But surprise, surprise they go and do the same thing against tipp last summer. Put simply, Galway are doomed to keep making the same mistakes over and over again, and until they rectify that Galway won't be anywhere near an All-Ireland title.

If by some highly unusual occurance they were to win the title this year, I will put my hand up and say I was wrong - but somehow I doubt I will be doing that.....

Anyone know where the U-21 final will be played?

According to Galway Bay FM yesterday, the final will be played in Marckeviz (sp?) Park in Sligo on the weekend of the May bank holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PJ Holmes

Sadly I agree a bit with Hulk Hands, I think for the hurlers the drink culture has had a damaging effect for our minor and u21 teams. Of the past minor teams which have won all-ireland's to many of the talented players have faded away to become medicore-good club players. You can see much of them every week on nights out in Ballinasloe,Loughrea and Galway; not too mind college nights during the week aswel.
    Plus the the big three when it comes to the business end seem to have just that more passion and leadership levels.
    Really and truly what other players show the inspirational qualties to spur the team in the tight situation besides Joe C and Damiem Hayes.
    We need more players with charismatic qualities like the players of the eighties; the Keady's,Finnerty's,Connely's,Cooney's and Haye's.

h2005 wrote: »
    well it`s 23 years since the last one

History has no reflection on the future.
    If it did Cavan's U-21's wouldn't have made the final, and since we haven't won a game in that grade for 5 years, we wouldn't have made it either if that theory had legs.

Why didn't it matter?... because those U-21 teams didn't play 5 years ago, or the year after etc.... they are their own teams not bound by others.
    I see my selection of Joe gantley didn't go down so well! I'd stand by my other picks, but I appreciate Gantley is a controversial inclusion alright. He's done well when coming on as a sub though.

Gantley has always done well coming on as a sub, would be just as good an option as Callanan in the corner, who had a shocker the last day(at one point he failed to take control of an easy ball that could have lead to a goal).
    I was 100% serious when I said that. How long has it been since we won a Senior All-Ireland - 23 years this september. Galway produce great minor teams but rarely translate that into U-21 success (we only have to win 2 games to be u-21 champions but we have only done it twice) in comparison with 5 minor all-irelands since the turn of the century. Galway don't know how to develop these good underage players into top-class inter-county seniors.

Again to start, a team in 10 years will have 14 odd lads who aren't even playing now, bit harsh to say they won't win anything because of history alone.

I agree with your points on the 2008-2010 games, one mistake I believe the lead we through away to Waterford was more like 6-8 points instead of 3.

Also those points relate only to the current squad, and you confirm that by stating ''if they win it this year''..... but that's not the point I argued in relation to Cannings career which has around 10years left.

Yes this current team and management mightn't win one(we're nearly guaranteed a 1/4 every year so you only have to win 3 games which isn't that many in fairness, it's no WC anyway) but you agreed with Canning NEVER winning one, not just this team, that's the only point I argued on which I think is a bit daft.

It would make as much sense to bet on a particular number never coming out in the lotto, it's all based on assumptions, you don't know what tomorrow will bring.

We could end up with a 5 a row in team in 5 years, past results don't stop that from happening, give the future a chance before ya knock them, for gods sake they haven't even played MINOR yet.

Lastly we've won more then 2 U-21's, we have 9.
    Yes we start in the semi's but your going in against a team with 2/3/4 wins which negates the advantage.
    At the same time, KK wouldn't have much competition in Leinster so they nearly get the same deal as us.

I don't agree that we're not producing the players, if we weren't producing them they wouldn't win Minor and U21 titles, if you're involved in the underage set up, and someone says you're not developing them I'd say you'd feel like screaming from the roof tops ''WHAT MORE DO YE WANT ME TO DO''.... the problem doesn't come until they're adults, maybe they stop putting the work in, after all it's an amateur game, you can't force the lads to follow orders like a professional club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Farragher will be back in Midfeild, but who will be with him? One of the two in mid today, or will Kevin Hynes slot back?

Who is the half foward line? Choose from Tannion, Harte, Donnelan, Andy Smith, Eanna Ryan or Cooney Jr. Is this a wealth of talent, every managers best nightmare? No, this lot is every managers worst nightmare. With the exception of Ryan, and Cooney of whom it is too early to judge, they are poor.
    If this seems unfair criticism, ask yyourself how many of these would make the Tipp or KK half forward line. Answer? None. Andy Smith wouldn't even get on either panel.

In the full forward line, its Joe, with an ageing and injury prone Hayes, and one of Callinan, Healy, Gantley and a few others.

Basically, the only forward of six who is guaranteed to get into Tipp/Cats foward 6 is Joe.

Being from Kilkenny, I have to say that the Galway hurlers are a complete mystery to me. Clarinbridge were hugely impressive winners of the Club All Ireland a few weeks ago with the Kerins brothers in particular truly magnificent on the day. I know they are both the wrong side of 30 but you would think that any county which could discard players of this calibre must be overflowing with top class forwards. Back in 2007, Galway went toe-to-toe with Kilkenny for 60 minutes of the All Ireland Quarter Final. That was the year before Joe Canning joined the panel. Yet, in the 2008 Quarter Final against Cork, the entire team apart from Joe only scored 3 points. How can there be such a difference from one year to the next?

Galway are constantly at a similar level or better than Kilkenny at Minor but, from my perspective, the players then seem to simply disappear. Back in 2005, Galway beat Kilkenny in the U21 All Ireland. That Kilkenny team included John Tennyson, John Dalton, PJ Delaney, Michael Fennelly, Michael Rice, Cha Fitzpatrick, Eoin Larkin, Richie Power & Eoin Reid. How many players have come through from that Galway team as they should all be in their prime now, aged about 26-27?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement