Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the real crack on the service costs for New KIA cars

• 23-02-2012 12:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I am looking at buying New either the small KIA model car 1liter and also maybe the Nizzan PICO ,or small Toyota, or the i10
    KIA presently is leading the pack with 7 year warranty if the warranty is really useful.
    I also must have aircon as travel for work will to go to Europe a lot ,although i mostly use the open window and wind to cool me its essential to have aircon when stuck in heavy traffic on boiling hot days like 40C

The price seems OK the finance has said yes to these sums and there is the interesting 7 year warranty

However if for example the price to service the car each service was twice or three times the normal price of the same service done by a independent garage for a similar sized car then this seven year warranty could be a expensive extra especially as I have no real plans to ever sell the car again
    (A family trait buy new and run them into the ground over a 12 to 20 year period )

The new Toyota three service deal might actually be a good deal if new car service charges are exorbitant

In order to keep the KIA 7 year warranty it requires the service to be done at a KIA approved service station . Needless to say that looks to me like a possibility to charge unnecessary extra charges to a trapped market

I also imagine that my present 25k kilometers a year could increase a lot to more like 40k per year and make it possible that I might use up the 150K kilometer limit well within 5 years and therefore not get the 7 year warranty

Needless to say this same issue would apply to all makes of cars who often supply 3 or 5 year warranties with these conditions . Nissan PICO gives a five year warranty and are their service charges better on average ?

As my car history is always running bangers very successfully very cheaply I have no experience in this sector of new car service history.
    I also remain skeptical that any of the sales agents will really inform me of any hidden cost bombs in the maintenance schedules.
    Mayby I am just paranoid

However never say never so if the costs for service were about the same as normal service charges even using only the approved KIA service stations then it would help me make a more informed decision

I am not interested in much larger Asian type cars as I pay the fuel and they often use too much fuel .I travel mostly solo so i don't want to spend extra on fuel .

I am not interested in any European makes as they nearly all have made a special problems with spare parts that most Asian makes don't have

Derry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Toyota service offer has a limitation on it too, 45,000 km max over the 3 years afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

3 free services basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

derry wrote: »
    However never say never so if the costs for service were about the same as normal service charges even using only the approved KIA service stations then it would help me make a more informed decision
    Find out how often the car needs servicing, then ring around a couple of Kia dealerships and get quotes for each kind of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭techie

I had a Kia Cee'd and the service costs at a Kia Dealer were very reasonable, always between €130 - €200 depending on service.

That was a 1.4 Petrol, I would not fancy long trips in a 1lt Picanto though (assuming thats the Kia you are talking about?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

What are those Kia's like for reliability - especially if you are planning to do the proposed mileage?

In contrast, I bought a toyota auris in 2008. It had a 3 year 100000km warranty. My independent garage services it for Eur60 every 15k Km and has done since day 1 - toyota confirmed that this was enough to cover their warranty. I have 200,000km on it now and the only parts that I have had to put into it was brake pads costing around 100 euro.
    I have had other makes of car - peugeot, renault, VW, mitsubishi. At over 100k miles you will notice that they get a little bit rattley - nothing major, but you just know that they are not new. The auris is different. It drives, with 200000km on it the same way that it drove on the way home from the garage.

I have spoken to my mechanic about Kia and he tells me to keep away. He says that they will be fine until the warranty runs out, but if you want to put a lot of miles on them beyond this then you will be spending money on a regular basis. This may only be his opinion, but I value it. Time will tell I suppose.

He tells me to look around at the older cars that are still on the road. How many 2005 Kia's do you see with 150k miles???

I'd be disappointed if my auris didn't go close to 200k miles before I have to make a major investment in parts in it (Shocks, clutch, injectors _ I don't know really)

I'm not criticising Kia's in any way, I'm just giving an alternative view that is out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

our kia pro'ceed cost about 220 to service in dealer.im never going to get 7 yrs out of it though,its 2008 and i have 107km on it already

hyundai now have a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty

"I have spoken to my mechanic about Kia and he tells me to keep away. He says that they will be fine until the warranty runs out, but if you want to put a lot of miles on them beyond this then you will be spending money on a regular basis. This may only be his opinion, but I value it. Time will tell I suppose.

He tells me to look around at the older cars that are still on the road. How many 2005 Kia's do you see with 150k miles???"

They will be fine , same as any other make, as long as they are serviced properly.

The newer generation Kia's , starting with the 2007 Cee'd are very reliable, I had 2 of them, and neither of them gave any major faults other than servicing.

And I now drive an older generation 06 Sportage and although it only has 100k km on it, it still ticks over as new, I service it as Kia recommend.

reilig wrote: »
    What are those Kia's like for reliability - especially if you are planning to do the proposed mileage?

In contrast, I bought a toyota auris in 2008. It had a 3 year 100000km warranty. My independent garage services it for Eur60 every 15k Km and has done since day 1 - toyota confirmed that this was enough to cover their warranty. I have 200,000km on it now and the only parts that I have had to put into it was brake pads costing around 100 euro.
    I have had other makes of car - peugeot, renault, VW, mitsubishi. At over 100k miles you will notice that they get a little bit rattley - nothing major, but you just know that they are not new. The auris is different. It drives, with 200000km on it the same way that it drove on the way home from the garage.

I have spoken to my mechanic about Kia and he tells me to keep away. He says that they will be fine until the warranty runs out, but if you want to put a lot of miles on them beyond this then you will be spending money on a regular basis. This may only be his opinion, but I value it. Time will tell I suppose.

He tells me to look around at the older cars that are still on the road. How many 2005 Kia's do you see with 150k miles???

I'd be disappointed if my auris didn't go close to 200k miles before I have to make a major investment in parts in it (Shocks, clutch, injectors _ I don't know really)

I'm not criticising Kia's in any way, I'm just giving an alternative view that is out there.

I'd have to disagree with the reasoning here.

Firstly, the auris wasn't toyotas finest hour. I used to sell them, they rattled like hell from new, and every few months there was a new recall or bulletin to do with the car.

The 'how many do you see on the road' doesn't stack up either. The new breed of kias aren't on the road long enough for any mechanic to say what they'll be like in 7 years time.

I'd have more faith in an i30 or a ceed long term than I would in an auris.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, there is no way in hell I would endure doing 25k to 40k km a year in a car the size of a Picanto or i10.

While small cars have come on leaps and bounds over the last number of years in regards design, they are still basically designed to be used for city driving, not mile munchers. Doing that sort of annual mileage you should be thinking about comfort and refinement, not just fuel economy. I would rather drop back a year or two and buy something bigger which is designed to be more refined and comfortable at commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

What is excluded in the KIA 7 year warranty?

The clutch is not included - so, a DMF problem and you are on your own. I suspect that the DPF is not included either - those things are a scheduled sercice item - usually around the 80,000 km mark.

That 7 year warranty is not what it seems, I suspect.

• Advertisement

Poulgorm wrote: »
    What is excluded in the KIA 7 year warranty?

The clutch is not included - so, a DMF problem and you are on your own. I suspect that the DPF is not included either - those things are a scheduled sercice item - usually around the 80,000 km mark.

That 7 year warranty is not what it seems, I suspect.

Service items like these obviously are not covered under warranty, unless like any other Manufacturer they go due to a manufacturing fault or a recall.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with the reasoning here.

Firstly, the auris wasn't toyotas finest hour. I used to sell them, they rattled like hell from new, and every few months there was a new recall or bulletin to do with the car.

The 'how many do you see on the road' doesn't stack up either. The new breed of kias aren't on the road long enough for any mechanic to say what they'll be like in 7 years time.

I'd have more faith in an i30 or a ceed long term than I would in an auris.

As I said, i have an Auris with 200,000km on it and no bother. It never "rattled like hell" and has been one of the cheapest cars to maintain that I ever had. There was one recall on them for the accelerator. Thankfully mine was not one fitted with these and I had nothing to do.

Its only the opinion of one person. As you said, these Kia's haven't been around long enough to prove themselves. My mechanic has only ever worked on Kia's that warranty wouldn't cover. So I guess his experience is limited.

As for the i30, I really wouldn't be a fan. A friend of mine has a 08 one and finds it horrendous. He's 6ft 3" and its really cramped in it. There is little rear leg room. He can't bring it on a motorway on a windy day as it "wobbles" in the wind. Its hard on diesel because it has poor gearing. The sales rep bragged about hou it would achieve 4l/100km on average. Its more like 5.8l/100km. It will deafen you on a motorway at 120kmph. It needs a 6th gear (newer models have this though).

Services cost €250 - €300 for a basic oil and filter change. Its hard on tyres - they have to be replaced every 25 - 30k KM. He tried to trade it last year and the only garage that would offer him a trade was the Hyundai garage - they wanted €12000 to upgrade to a new i30. With 80k km on it, you would know by driving it that it has it done. I don't know what it would be like with 200,000 km on it. He has already had 4 warranted issues with it - the biggest being a series of dash lights coming on due to a fault in the Cat which required a replacement Cat. Based on these experiences, I wouldn't have long term faith in an i30 for the op who wants to run a car for 10 years+ and put in excess of 400,000km on it.

Again, its just his experience of it. It may not be the same for every i30, but it most certainly would put me off buying one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Is there not some consumer law/block exemption rule which means that you can get a car serviced at a competent indy garage while retaining the warranty.

Also there was an article in the Sunday Times a while back about DIY and indy servicing of cars. A spokesman from Hyundai UK was quoted as saying that they would honour the manufacturer warranty even if the car was DIY serviced as long as the correct parts were used.

Now that could well be bullsh*t and I certainly wouldn't rely on it without finding out more - but it and the situation with indy garage servcing might be worth exploring.

BTW the Kia Ceed and Hyundai I30 have surprisingly not done particularly well in the ADAC breakdown statistics. About the same as the Honda Civic but well behind so called "crap" cars like the Renault Megane and Peugeot 308.

I had a look at the Picanto for my mother and while it is nice it seems expensive when you can get a larger (albeit to be superceded within a year) Renault Clio for around 10k

Also I'm confused as to what you mean by the following
    I am not interested in any European makes as they nearly all have made a special problems with spare parts that most Asian makes don't have

Services cost €250 - €300 for a basic oil and filter change. .............

lol

I doubt that tbh, it makes the rest of your post rather questionable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Services cost €250 - €300 for a basic oil and filter change. I

Ha! was it the Straight Six I30 with MotorSport Pack and Supercharger :D

I just picked up the phone to kennedy motors in Birr where my mate bought his car and priced a service for a 2008 i30 1.6 CDRI style (I think that's what he has). I was quoted on 3 services:

€180 for an oil, oil filter and air filter change and associated checks.

€220 for oil, oil filter and diesel filter and associated checks.

€260 for oil, oil filter, diesel filter,and cabin filter (due every year) and associated checks.

*€40 extra for a cabin filter???????? :eek: He said it costs €40 to buy from them.

Services cost €250 - €300 for a basic oil and filter change...............
    I just picked up the phone to kennedy motors in Birr where my mate bought his car and priced a service for a 2008 i30 1.6 CDRI style (I think that's what he has). I was quoted on 3 services:

€180 for an oil, oil filter and air filter change and associated checks.

€220 for oil, oil filter and diesel filter and associated checks.

€260 for oil, oil filter, diesel filter,and cabin filter (due every year) and associated checks.

*€40 extra for a cabin filter???????? :eek: He said it costs €40 to buy from them.

€40 for a pollen filter fitted wouldn't be out of the way, as suspected your €250 - €300 for a basic oil and filter change was a tad off the mark :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    €40 for a pollen filter fitted wouldn't be out of the way, as suspected your €250 - €300 for a basic oil and filter change was a tad off the mark :)

Basic oil and filter change is €260 according to the garage??? I would consider an air and diesel filter change to be part of a basic service. Would you not?

Basic oil and filter change is €260 according to the garage??? I would consider an air and diesel filter change to be part of a basic service. Would you not?

nope, what you pay 60 to your indy is.
    You specified basic oil and filter change too earlier.

nope, what you pay 60 to your indy is.
    You specified basic oil and filter change too earlier.

Well I am clarifying it for you now that I should have put an s at the end and it should have said "filters".

Sorry for the confusion!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Thanks guys
    lots of useful info

Checking the i10,i20,or i30 series seems their fuel figures are at best disappointing and at worst in forums belong in the another cheap oil era

I test drove the i20 and found the left leg for the clutch was a interesting issue for leg space and would suit automatic better

I did good mileage with my 1998 Susiki Swift 1000 cc so i don't seem to suffer doing large mileage in small cars .
    At various times I did big mileage with other small cars no real issues.
    I also have a 1993 Toyota automatic diesel 1900 non turbo which works well cheap parts but 40MPG on the high way costs too much on fuel. Some twot hit the back wing and did a runner and the repair costs €1500 and i am3rd party only insurance .It make no sense. It might not pass a NCT but is drivable.
    I am sure fuel prices will increase too much other wise I would keep that car as many of them can do 500,000 miles and this one has only 130,000 miles on it

My other 1998 fiat Bravo SX eats petrol 35MPG hiway and eats parts for breakfast.Its far cheaper to run a new car than that thing and that was my friend giving it to me for free with only genuine 40,000 miles on the clock

My brother´s car a Volvo 1999 had been off the road for year now due to the cost of replacing headlights. The cost for new solutions cost €600 plus and €260 for the second hand part.It turn out that it wasn't for sure replacement parts could work with the computer system. He risked it bought the spare part second hand and it worked . He put it through the NCT and now its back on the road again.Cost of parts will probably kill that car

It turned out that European cars to stop the cars going across borders to get better deals linked many parts to the computer systems.This often means that second hand part wont work with the computer systems of the car.
    So often your forced to buy the parts new and have them matched with the computer in your car .
    So running many European cars into old age isnt a real option anymore.
    Asain cars it seems never went this way parts are not special coded and are interchangeable
    There are other issues to do with many European makes but it shows in the real world the majority of older cars on the road it seems to me to be Asian or Merc or Opel in that order. Spares for Merc are not cheap

So those are the reasons so far

Derry

Well I am clarifying it for you now that I should have put an s at the end and it should have said "filters".

Sorry for the confusion!

FOr 60 your indy supplies the oil and all filters ?

FOr 60 your indy supplies the oil and all filters ?

No.

The oil, air and diesel filter costs €20 - I buy them in motor factors. The mechanic supplies oil and labour for €40.

............... My independent garage services it for Eur60 every 15k Km and has done since day 1 - toyota confirmed that this was enough to cover their warranty.................

The oil, air and diesel filter costs €20 - I buy them in motor factors. The mechanic supplies oil and labour for €40.

Once he has his VAT paid he's doing that at a loss.

To be honest, I wouldn't see how you maintain your Auris being any way representative of the cost that someone could expect to budget for when maintaining a modern car.

Most folk don't buy the filters in a factors and then pass them on to a mechanic who will "service" the car and provide the oil for €40.

Can't see how he'd have anything left over if he's using the low ash diesel the auris needs :confused:

Advertisement