Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Russian word for 'Victory'?

• 07-12-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭

What is the Russian word for 'Victory'?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59,514 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Thanks, I tried that already.

How can I get a pronounceable translation like so:

example:
    success = успех

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mammu

Worztron wrote: »
    Thanks, I tried that already.

How can I get a pronounceable translation like so:

example:
    success = успех

uspeh

and your victory= победа
    pobeda

• Registered Users Posts: 59,514 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

How can I get a pronounceable translation

On the Google translation page at the lower right hand corner of the panel where the result is displayed, you'll see 3 buttons- 1 is to hear the word pronounced and another is to read the word phonetically. The third is a rating button.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

On the Google translation page at the lower right hand corner of the panel where the result is displayed, you'll see 3 buttons- 1 is to hear the word pronounced and another is to read the word phonetically. The third is a rating button.

Sweet! I never noticed that feature before. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭survivor2

In XVII century Russians used the word VICTORIYA which has had the same meaning as "Pobyeda"(Victory-engl.)

Read a sample from the book "Peter I" by Alexey Tolstoy:

<< ..Корабли эти недавно были взяты у шведов, — ВИКТОРИЯ случилась нежданная и весьма славная: русским досталось двенадцать бригантин и фрегатов — вся разбойничья эскадра командора Лешерта, который два года не пропускал в Чудское озеро ни малого суденышка, грабил прибрежные села и мызы и угрожал с тылу Шереметеву, осаждавшему Юрьев. Командор был отважный моряк. Все же русские обманули его. Темной ночью, в грозу, то ли опасаясь шторма, то ли по иной какой причине, он ввел эскадру в устье реки Эмбаха и беспечно напился пьян на борту флагманской яхты «Каролус». Когда же на рассвете продрал глаза — сотни лодок, плотов и связанных бочек торопливо плыли от берегов к его кораблям... «Огонь с обоих бортов по русской пехоте!» — закричал командор. Шведы не успели подсыпать пороха в запалы пушек, не успели обрубить якорные канаты — русские кругом облепили корабли и с лодок, плотов и бочек, кидая гранаты, стреляя из пистолетов, полезли на абордаж... >>

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fokebox

Hallo all I am russian if you have some qustions than feel free to contact me to ask about my native language

Advertisement