Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What part of Ireland has the best climate?

• 13-01-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, with all the regional differences witnessed with the recent snow or lack of it, which part of Ireland people think has the best climate and why?

N.B. 'Nowhere' and extreme countyism doesn't count.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Fr. Hernandez: Ustedes estaba en Wexford Ted?

Wexford has been scientifically proven to have the best, more sunshine in summer and less exposed to the harsh weather in winter?

But the problem is its kind of like UHT milk .... its ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I suppose the SE is the sunniest overall, but that would not be my personal idea of "best", however, I like the climate the south midlands as they are less influenced by the damp maritime crap most other areas get. Warm, gentle summers, cool, frosty winters sounds good to me.

Having said that, I like the climate of my own patch, even if I complain constantly about it. Gentle for the most part, but when its gets mean, it sho' is mean! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Dublin's climate is not too bad - the driest part of the country, the inland bits are close enough to being warmest in summer and not too far off the sunniest (after the SE). In winter it sometimes even gets snow and ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There are microclimates in some of the indents in the southwest with very little frost. Check out Garinish island off Glengarriff (short swim if you are bould) if you are ever down Cork/Kerry way. You'll be amazed at what they grow there. The guy who started the gardens there was told it couldn't be done. 100 years later - it is a tourist treasure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

We have it mild all year round,i wouldn't recommend swimming out to garnish there is a nice dry ferry boat for that sort of thing:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

topper75 wrote: »
    There are microclimates in some of the indents in the southwest with very little frost. Check out Garinish island off Glengarriff (short swim if you are bould) if you are ever down Cork/Kerry way. You'll be amazed at what they grow there. The guy who started the gardens there was told it couldn't be done. 100 years later - it is a tourist treasure.

More like a gouging heaven if you be a Glengarriff native.

Still go with West cork, not to cold in Winter and great two weeks in May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Galway* :D

*terms and conditions apply, love of rain is required.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

More like a gouging heaven if you be a Glengarriff native.

No thanks be to god,my native land would be a small (used to be )fishing village on the east coast nice down here though.During the cold weather the sea temp was 12-15 deg warmer than the air temp,cue lots of spooky mist at dawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Depends what you want I guess. Dublin overall the driest but its certainly prone to some intense rain in certain conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

North antrim coast simply because it is very dry there and is also alot of mild weather there... there is alot of good views towards scotland from here on clear clear days you can see scotland from the glens and apparently to my uncle you can see upto troon around that area but the farthest ive seen is around stranraer and the closest mull of kintyr were you can see the cars moving and houses on a very clear day !!!!! this is the only place that i can think of as i havnt been to many places like cork galway etc...... was in dublin totally forget what it was like.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Inside my climate controlled house. :D

Seriously though, I've always liked the weather in the SE. Many nice summers spent sleeping in tents down around Rosslare.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

That's easy :D:D:D

When I first thought about moving over here from the UK, I asked a good friend about "the Climate".

He looked my up and down in the way that only a man sitting comfortably in a pub after several pints of Guinness can do, and said to me "Shore, that's easy, Ireland don't have climate, it has weather! Now ye can go and get another round in"

Having been here now for more than 20 years, I think I understand what he meant :D

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

[quote=snow ghost;63977150
    N.B. 'Nowhere' and extreme countyism doesn't count.[/quote]
    What do you mean by extreme countyism?
    Nowhere in ireland is excluded from having the best climate
    and what do you mean by 'Best'. Best varies with personal preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Rostrevor, Co Down has a favourable microclimate with the Mournes sheltering it from North and West winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

owenc wrote: »
    North antrim coast simply because it is very dry there and is also alot of mild weather there... there is alot of good views towards scotland from here on clear clear days you can see scotland from the glens and apparently to my uncle you can see upto troon around that area but the farthest ive seen is around stranraer and the closest mull of kintyr were you can see the cars moving and houses on a very clear day !!!!! this is the only place that i can think of as i havnt been to many places like cork galway etc...... was in dublin totally forget what it was like.....

Owen, Dublin is... very forgetable. ;)

North Antrim coast sounds like a great place, I know Troon, next time I'm there I'll post here and give you a wave. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

By the sounds of things Trim is. Little or no snow at all during last four weeks according to Jambo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Yeah, I'm from Kilkenny but I love the climate of the north Kilkenny hills here, it was great when we had our own met eireann weather station near the city.

Kilkenny usually among the warmest place in summer, Kilkenny among the coldest in winter. In our maritime climate, we in Kilkenny have probably the most continental like climate in the country.

It does it for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Pangea wrote: »
    What do you mean by extreme countyism?
    Nowhere in ireland is excluded from having the best climate
    and what do you mean by 'Best'. Best varies with personal preferences.

Pangea,

Countyism = a bit like nationalism on a county level. E.g. kinda an unrelentless loyalty and dedication to ones own county - regardless of its faults - just to spite the others. I.e something I'm guilty of.

You are totally correct about 'best' just wondering what people think in general.

In that respect I personally think Donegal has one of the best climates, based on my own personal preferences. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

snow ghost wrote: »
    Pangea,

Countyism = a bit like nationalism on a county level. E.g. kinda an unrelentless loyalty and dedication to ones own county - regardless of its faults - just to spite the others. I.e something I'm guilty of.

You are totally correct about 'best' just wondering what people think in general.

In that respect I personally think Donegal has one of the best climates, based on my own personal preferences. :)
    Ah i see i completly misunderstood your * message, I thought u meant that if u lived in the extreme countryside , i.e. in the middle of nowhere that it didnt count lol
    Well yes My favourite climate would be with a good possability of seeing lieing snow once or twice a year and I think Donegal probably has that more than most counties ,exluding people in the hills in other counties etc.
    We do get an awful lot of rain though ,but i suppose thats a price you pay.
    Not too sure what counties get the most sunshine , but I was looking up the differences between the sunrise and sunsets of malin head compared to mizen head on new years ,
    Malin head has 45 mins less daylight than Mizen, quite extrordinary! So galway or co.clare would be somewhere in between that , e.g. Galway has 20 mins more daylight than Donegal in the winter.
    Personally I like the shorter days.
    I do think once u come to donegal town and do the full circle or the 'arctic circle' as I like to call it you are in a good area for snow.
    The circle would consist of Donegal town , right down to Glencolmcille , ardara , glenties ,fintown ,letterkenny and then back down to donegal to complete the circle. :) . I know people during the cold spell that came up here saying that its a different world once u go past donegal town.
    Glenties is probably the best place for snow ,if theres no snow there , theres none anywhere :pac:

P.S Maybe Im guilty of "Countyism" but I suppose that just my point of view and experience, theres probably many people from other parts of ireland in some valley that would say the same about their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Laois, Kildare, Carlow and Kilkenny areas in general have the most continental style weather caused by this island. Coldest in winter and warmest in summer.

However for different extremes bear a thought for the following places...
    Most Thunder - East Galway
    Most Tornados - East Westmeath
    Most Snow - Cavan
    Most Wind - Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

snow ghost wrote: »
    Pangea,

I got called a provincial racist, many moons ago, by someone from the countryside. Did make me laugh.

There isnt that much difference really between the counties regarding the weather. Only thing i miss from London is the more humid summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

West Cork would be very nice if it was a bit drier.

Kilkenny-Carlow-Kildare are good because they tend to get warmish summers and coldish winters (relative to most of the rest of Ireland, of course) and they're not far off the driest and sunniest parts of the country .

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

From Balbriggan, Co. Dublin to Dundalk in Louth ( I am in between) is supposed to be the driest place in Ireland, according to ME. I think we had the lightest snowfall during the last few weeks, just a light covering, though thick ice. Living by the sea, we tend to thaw first, have little or no snow and have awful easterly winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Since Rosslare closed, Wexford is struggling to hold onto its sunniest in Ireland claim.

Sherkin Island is the sunniest sunshine recording station now.

As Supercell will tell you Roundwood/Annamoe area gets plenty snow, so much so he's getting sick of it :eek:........but the midges.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Annamoe/Roundwood would be perfect if they were not in a thunderstorm desert,
    The proximity to the big smoke is a major plus also for me.
    If i had a big 4x4 and a backup generator than here is where I would buy.
    But from a young family persepctive its not ideal with schooling, social activities, i suppose it really depends on what your priorities are.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CorkMaths.ie

Cork because you get a warm beach during summer and generally little ice (this winter aside)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Supercell wrote: »
    Annamoe/Roundwood not ideal with schooling, social activities
    And what has this got to do with climate :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

The tropical gardens in Valentia are quite the testament to its microclimate, especially in that Northeast corner of the island, under the hill.

Just north of the Killary Fjord and Mweelrea mountains and West of Croagh Patrick in Mayo has quite an enjoyable microclimate. A lot of the bands of precipitation get 'stuck' over the extensive mountain ranges to the south, so its often clearer out there than in Westport for example. Immediately beside it in the Delphi Valley is one of the rainiest microclimates in Ireland apparently for the same reason.

Advertisement