Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snapshot of your story - FM 12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

I started a game with Canvey Island earlier this, its going ok but it is really tough as my squad is useless:eek:

But have done a good chunk of my first season and if I keep going the way I'm going looks like I'll avoid the drop:)

...May even blog about it, seen a user earlier in the thread who blogs about his game, may steal his layout:P

Your first port of call should be to sign Paul Dunphy from Dublin Bus he'll bang in the goals and non-league level. Paul Smyth (free agent ) Martin Camano (free agent ) and if you can afford him Pablo Couango.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

James__10 wrote: »
    Your first port of call should be to sign Paul Dunphy from Dublin Bus he'll bang in the goals and non-league level. Paul Smyth (free agent ) Martin Camano (free agent ) and if you can afford him Pablo Couango.

Cheers mate, but my first seaosn in charge is 2012/13(the season season in game), as Canvey Island are in the league below the Blue Square South I had to wait for them to get promoted, so I'm assuming all those players are gone now, also I'm on the updated database from after the January window so again the free agents would prob be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Equium

Crazy. My dislike to French teams in this game started when the first time I got the CL Semi Final, they scored 2 goals after the 85th minute to go through to the Final on away goals. Sick I was.

I've managed Pro Vercelli in Italy from July 2010 until eh, March 22nd 2026 is the present date. Won Serie C2 straight away. Then got promoted in the Playoffs the next season from C1 to B. One season of medicroty in Serie B but then in the second year there, I made a mistake in only having one winger at the starts of the 2013/14 season, so I decided to play a 4312, which smashed the division finishing on 101pts. Finished 14th in A the next season, but mainly because the 3 that got relegated were terrible and I took 18pts off them three over the year. But it took me like another 7 seasons in Serie A before winning anything, which was the 2021 Serie A. I did lose the 19/20 season by one point on the last day, which was poxy! I won the Coppa Italia in 2020 and have won it 3 other times since.

So, 4 Serie A's, 4 Coppa Italia's, 4 Italian Super Cups, 2 UEFA Champions Leagues, 1 European Super Cup and 2 World Club Championship. As well as the Serie C2, Serie C2 Super Cup and Serie B.

Then managed Republic of Ireland from 2020 and resigned after the 2022 World Cup because I didn't like the job. WC Group was so easy, yet I made a meal of it, finishing 2nd to Congo in a group with Honduras and Qatar. Got Mexico in the Second Round, winning on penos. Drew 0-0 with Italy in the 1/4s, again winning on penos. Strangely, Austria knocked out Spain so I got them in the 1/2 Final. No goals in the 90, but scored twice in extra time to get to the final, which I lost 2-0 to Argentina. So, 1 win in 90 minutes with Ireland and I "drew" my way to the final. Resigned after though.

Took charge of Spain in July 2024 as they sacked their manager for only getting to the Second Round of the 2024 Euros. The squad is class though and I won every game in my Qual. Group bar one, drawing with Hungary in the final game.

So yeah, that's who I've managed. If I win the World Cup I reckon I'll "retire" from this game and move onto FM12 :D

Fair play! Do you not get bored or disinterested with the game after bringing your small club through the divisions to win the CL though? I think the longest save that I've ever had was with Havant and Waterlooville, a seven year journey which ended when I won the Premier League. Normally I wait until winning the CL before giving up as there is nothing left to achieve, but in this case I just couldn't go any further... Leaving the club for a new one is something that I've never done either. I couldn't stand to see my old side fall apart!

Maybe I'd find it more interesting if they increased the difficulty. Since maybe the 2008 version I think that it has become far too easy to win leagues, even with relative minnows. My current plan to make things more difficult is to develop an all-homegrown team to take the world. Unfortunately, the temptation to sign each new batch of African superstars is too great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Equium wrote: »
    Fair play! Do you not get bored or disinterested with the game after bringing your small club through the divisions to win the CL though? I think the longest save that I've ever had was with Havant and Waterlooville, a seven year journey which ended when I won the Premier League. Normally I wait until winning the CL before giving up as there is nothing left to achieve, but in this case I just couldn't go any further... Leaving the club for a new one is something that I've never done either. I couldn't stand to see my old side fall apart!

Maybe I'd find it more interesting if they increased the difficulty. Since maybe the 2008 version I think that it has become far too easy to win leagues, even with relative minnows. My current plan to make things more difficult is to develop an all-homegrown team to take the world. Unfortunately, the temptation to sign each new batch of African superstars is too great!

Well, I really just wanted to win Pro Vercelli their tenth Scudetto as they had 7 previously. And I dunno, I've gone long periods without playing the game but I just keep going back to it. It's not easy though, I've never ran away with the league and I don't dominate. AC, Inter and Sampadoria are ridiculously strong in the game so we're always the top 4.

But yeah, there's always some African or South American superstar that you always have to sign. The temptations too much! Altho in Italy, you can only sign one non-eu player per season so I guess that makes it a bit more difficult!

And yeah, twice I thought about leaving the club. Once when Real Madrid offered, and then the second time was when St Patrick's Atheltic got relegated to Div 1 in Ireland and they sacked their manager, although that would have been pretty unrealistic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Equium wrote: »
    Leaving the club for a new one is something that I've never done either. I couldn't stand to see my old side fall apart!

This.

Its why ive gone 20-30 seasons with the same club in older fm's

• Advertisement

Finished my first season with Canvey Island...

Blog of my first season is here: http://asoberpaddy.blogspot.com/2012/05/can-ve-avoid-relegation.html

P.S yes I did shamelessly copy the layout of my blog from someone else on this thread:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Started unemployed with every single league loaded. Got a job offer straight away so I accepted it. Perseba in the third tier of Indonesia.

Semi-Pro status and a media prediction of 10th (out of 12).
    Basic training facilities and no youth system along with minimal scouting. Essentially the bare minimum. Wage budget of only £2,000 pw and no transfer budget. Finances are insecure.

Had a horrible pre-season. Drew one, won two and lost eight, including one against my under 21's who are all greyed out.

Six games played in the league (16 to go) and my record stands at:
    Pld: 6 Won: 1 Drew: 0 Lost: 5 GS: 7 GC: 23 Pts: 3

I'm 11th with my only victory coming against the side in 12th place. I like a challenge but I'm already over my wage budget and don't have the option to loan players. Nobody wants to buy any of my players either. On top of that, I'm not allowed sign players who aren't Indonesian!

ah if only kurniawan was still around.
    does anyone remember him? Think it was from cm 01/02

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Started unemployed with every single league loaded. Got a job offer straight away so I accepted it. Perseba in the third tier of Indonesia.

Semi-Pro status and a media prediction of 10th (out of 12).
    Basic training facilities and no youth system along with minimal scouting. Essentially the bare minimum. Wage budget of only £2,000 pw and no transfer budget. Finances are insecure.

Had a horrible pre-season. Drew one, won two and lost eight, including one against my under 21's who are all greyed out.

Six games played in the league (16 to go) and my record stands at:
    Pld: 6 Won: 1 Drew: 0 Lost: 5 GS: 7 GC: 23 Pts: 3

I'm 11th with my only victory coming against the side in 12th place. I like a challenge but I'm already over my wage budget and don't have the option to loan players. Nobody wants to buy any of my players either. On top of that, I'm not allowed sign players who aren't Indonesian!

I've had enough and am resigning. The team is just too bad.

Pld:12 Won:1 Drew:1 Lost:10 GS:10 GC:36 Pts:4

Now dead last seven points away from safety but with a crap goal difference so essentially eight points. Even four points behind 11th place now.

I tried to continue with my tried and trusted 4-2-4 tactic but it wasn't working. The final straw was a 1-5 thumping in the cup against a mid table team in the same division. Yes, five goals conceded at home. Changed to a super defensive 1-4-2-2-1 formation and got a 1-1 draw in the league then a 1-1 draw in the second leg of the cup. Maybe there was hope? Nope! Lost 1-3 the next time out and every game since. Because its so defensive I'm conceding less, but also getting less shots on goal meaning less goals too.

First failure :(

Had a hard time in Russia before with getting relegated but I only joined that club half way through the season. Two or three more games and I'd have kept them up so I don't count that as a failure considering how bad a shape they were in when I joined.

Off on holidays now until I get another job offer.

Resigned on December 31st 2011. Wonder how long I'll be sitting at home now. At least I got to learn Indonesian :D

February 12th 2012

A little over a month of holidays and I've packed my bags to move from Indonesia to Columbia. Had three job offers during that time but wasn't interested in any of them since they were all in the Irish First Division which I did only recently. Wanted something different so I waited. 

Now in charge of Escuela Carlos Sarmiento Lora in the Columbian Second Division. Not sure what happened the previous manager as preseason is finished and one game has been played. A 1-1 draw so hopefully that means the media prediction of 18th (out of 18) is wrong.

No staff this time but decent facilities. Basic for Youth Recruitment, Average for Training and Junior Coaching while the Youth Facilities are rated as good. A transfer budget of nearly £10,000 with a wage budget of nearly £6,000 not yet used up.

Average squad age of 22 and currently 7 players injured. Six of them due back within two weeks, the other about three months. Allowed a maximum of four foreign players, currently have one so I've put in a few loan offers. Need them to hit the ground running as I don't have a preseason to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Voltwad wrote: »
    Having a wonderful time with Yeovil. Promoted to the Championship after one season, via the playoffs and finished a respectable 14th in our first season there. Got £2m to spend and used it mostly on wages but we're in with a real chance of promotion. Scoring for fun too. Just trounced Millwall 8-1 too. Have won at Stamford Bridge two seasons running in the cup and lost to Liverpool on pens in the League Cup.

I've completely overhauled the first team, mostly with free transfers. Reliable Championship standard names are there like Hayden Mullins, Iain Turner, Clint Hill and Neil Mellor but a couple of gems that I picked up for nothing are worth special mentions - Simen Wangberd on a free from Gent, Curtis Nelson on a free from Plymouth, Antony Golec who I paid 3k for from an A-League team and Ole Kristian Selnæs on a free from Rosenberg.

Yeovil are quite a small club and being promoted so soon may turn out to be a tough experience. Huish Park only holds 9.5k at the moment but I'm hoping to build a dynasty :)

I play a 4-1-2-3, fluid and attacking most of the time. It took the players a while to get used to but we score in pretty much every game, giving the wingbacks the duty of getting high up the pitch while having a DM, a BBM and a supporting CM. Up front it's a TM and two DLFs either side.

Loving this :)

Missed out via the playoffs that season but just beat Hull in the 2015 Playoff final. I've been given 15m to spend for the Premier League and Huish Park will be extended to 12,000

after winning the irish premier division for the 2nd year in a row (4th overall), and beating Inter Milan 3-2 at Finn Park in the champions league group stage, I decided it was time to leave.
    Applied for the spurs job but they apopinted poyet instead. Aimed my sights a bit lower, and the swansea job came up (recently relegated to the championship, mid table). However, they were unable to afford the compensation to get me out of my finn harps contract and went with someone else - i stupidly signed a 4 year contract at the start of the season. In the end i resigned at the end of december, freeing myself up for a job & a transfer window.
    Rangers kept fluttering their eyes at me, telling me mccoist was one game from the sack for a month, but nothing happened. Finally, I got offered a job at brighton in feb (L1, bottom half), who wanted me to turn around their fortunes after being relegated last year. the team has some good players, but also some real rubbish on massive wages. Brought in a young dm released form juventus who has gone straight in as a DLP in my 4-1-2-2-1, and results have been ok so far (won my first match 5-0 at home :D).
    I missed the transfer window, so aiming for a top 10 finish (outside chance at the playoffs, but highly unlikely), and letting most people leave on frees in the summer.
    Raided my former club for my brazilian inside forward Charles, who was averaging 7.40+ for my last 2 seasons. Only costing me 50k!
    Looking at my old club, they replaced me with Gary Waddock, and he immediately sold my key MC/AM(R) to St Pats for 9k (Hes only 26, was worth 240k), and my top goalscorer to Shamrock Rovers for 2 million. eplaced him with some reject from aberdeen reserves for 300k. Will be keeping a close eye on them (with a tinge of sadness) but all the while ready to pick off some of the players if they become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've started a new game.

Started unemployed and got offered the Hereford, Galway United and Hansa Rostock (German Second Division).

I've taken the Hansa job as I have some cash and a huge squad to work with. I'm gonna need to loan out a lot of promising youngsters and I also want to take down the wage costs too.

The club also starts paying back a €9m loan this month. Works out at just under €300,000 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Coming to the end of my second season with dortmund. Won the bundesliga in the first season (thanks to a previously rampant Bayern losing to Hannover on the last day). But performed horribly in Europe. Drew 4 and lost 2 of my CL games and didnt make the Europa.

Didnt make any major signings in the first year because theyd previously agreed to buy Marco Rues from gladbach at the end of the first year for 17Mil :eek:.

Was more active in the transfer market the secound summer. Brought in Mikel, caulker and adler for a combined 11 mil plus a young GK and RB regen for 2 million a piece. Also balotelli and wilshere came in on loan.

The problems then came with trying to cut my wage bill. Im currently spending 900,000 a week on wages but about 150 of that is made up of players who I just cant shift.

Back to the football though and im 9 points behind Bayern in March and on my way out of the CL after losing to Arsenal in the 1st leg 7-2 (turns out my regen GK may well be a pile of muck!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Started a game with Arsenal yesterday,mainly because of the tidy transfer budget you get with them.

I'm flying in the League although Man Utd are keeping pace with me.They are 3 points behind me, I had opened up a 6pt gap by beating them, but I lost my first league game of the season to Liverpool the very next game.

Not doing so good in Europe, things are fine at home. I drew with Villareal away with a late goal, beat them at home. Lost to Basle 2-1 away after Villareal had thumped them 7-1, beat them at home. Had drawn to Zenit at home, which left me travelling to their place in the last group game. Anything but defeat and I would be through,victory would send them through. I was 2-0 down, Van Persie equalised on 45 +1 and Wilshire equalised late on to make it a very nervy finish.

In terms of transfers i signed Willian from Shaktar for £11million and Eriksen from Ajax for £14 million. I kept the rest of the money, roughly £20 million due to player sales for the January window.

As expected the board offered me to change my season objective, which i did, which left me with a budget of £38 million. Hulk has been ripping it up in Europe, so having tried to sign him in the Summer i set my heart on him again.

I bid up to £35 million,upon which they came back and said they wanted £70 million :eek:. I took a chance and asked the board to sign him,as it would indicate we really mean business. To my surprise they took over, and have now had a bid of £54 million accepted and have submitted a contract offer :eek:

I've just finished my 2 season with Canvey Island...

It was a fairly good season, but the ending was epic...

I'll hopefully have the blog for it up within the hour, this season is worth the read, I reckon they could make a movie about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Superb 2018/19 season for Crawley Town. Second season in the Premier League and already achieved a 4th place finish with the associated Champions League spot.

We also lifted the FA Cup after beating Man City 2-1 in the final.

Happy days!

Superb 2018/19 season for Crawley Town. Second season in the Premier League and already achieved a 4th place finish with the associated Champions League spot.

We also lifted the FA Cup after beating Man City 2-1 in the final.

Happy days!

Did you have much money to play around with, in your first season?

If I remember right I was given a 17 million transfer budget and about 220k wages.

Second season it was higher and now going into the third I was given 27 million and 350k wages. They tend to be quite generous because I have a history of being frugal with the money.

I have some really good scouts which has allowed me to bring in some gems, usually young regens with high potential. I'm actually worried that we will walk the league this year and it will be boring, but we shall see!

My squad is pretty small, so competing on so many fronts should present a nice challenge.

If I remember right I was given a 17 million transfer budget and about 220k wages.

Second season it was higher and now going into the third I was given 27 million and 350k wages. They tend to be quite generous because I have a history of being frugal with the money.

I have some really good scouts which has allowed me to bring in some gems, usually young regens with high potential. I'm actually worried that we will walk the league this year and it will be boring, but we shall see!

My squad is pretty small, so competing on so many fronts should present a nice challenge.

Sorry mate, I meant in your first season overall?

Did you start the game as Crawley and work your way up the leagues?

• Advertisement

Ah right sorry, don't know why I read that as first season in the premiership!

Yeah I started in League 2 with them in 2011/12. Transfer budget was around 200k with about 30k for wages.

I only spent 17k in the first season and 10k in the second though. There are plenty of free transfers and loan players that will get you through League 2.

In fact I just had a look and I spent nothing in the following three years. Got to the Championship with just free transfers after that.

Ah right sorry, don't know why I read that as first season in the premiership!

Yeah I started in League 2 with them in 2011/12. Transfer budget was around 200k with about 30k for wages.

I only spent 17k in the first season and 10k in the second though. There are plenty of free transfers and loan players that will get you through League 2.

In fact I just had a look and I spent nothing in the following three years. Got to the Championship with just free transfers after that.

Yeah in the lower divisions you can make a good side with free transfers and solid tactics...

Also for anyone interested my blog is up now, as i already said, epic ending(not over selling it I hope:D )...

http://asoberpaddy.blogspot.ie/2012/06/2nd-season-syndrome.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah in the lower divisions you can make a good side with free transfers and solid tactics...

Also for anyone interested my blog is up now, as i already said, epic ending(not over selling it I hope:D )...

http://asoberpaddy.blogspot.ie/2012/06/2nd-season-syndrome.html

Think you might just be overselling it there yeah.

CSF wrote: »
    Think you might just be overselling it there yeah.

Ah man, did you not see how many season ended?

Ah man, did you not see how many season ended?

I did.

CSF wrote: »
    I did.

Was it not a good ending to the season...well not such a good ending for myself:(

I know the blog lacks a little something which is probably due to my writing skills(more like my lack of writing skills:o)

LOGO%20SARMIENTO.jpg

Just reached the half way point of my first trip to Columbia. After a disastrous run in Indonesia I was hoping for better luck here. Much, much better as it turns out.

Took charge of Carlos Sarmiento who had a media prediction of 18th out of 18. After 17 games they are currently at the dizzying heights of fifth place! 26 points puts me only five behind the leaders Millonarios who spent more in the off season than the rest of the division did combined.

Pld: 17 Won: 7 Drew: 5 Lost: 5 GS: 43 GC: 39

Top players are Leonardo Enciso who has 16 goals and 6 assists in 23 games before getting injured in my latest match. Chap has been a free agent for four years before I signed him. His now settled strike partner is Ricardo Serna, who has 7 goals and 2 assists in 13 games. He was with the club already. Hector Millan in midfield has been great too while chipping in with 4 goals and 6 assists in 16 games. Also already at the club. Next, is Sebastian Bravo at CB. Despite his position, he has managed 4 goals and 1 assist in 13 games.

Highest Average Rating is none of those, it is instead Alfredo Guzman. He was signed after the registration window was closed so has only managed 3 cup appearances but did provide 2 goals and 1 assist in them. Still a few weeks before the window reopens so he is going to be well rested for the second half of the season.

By far exceeding the expectations I had when taking the job. The club was taken over earlier in the season but the new chairman has done nothing since so I have no idea what he will be like when it comes to money.

Other than that, I have a large enough squad and several players are yet to play a game for me. Come the end of the season anyone who is advancing in years and didn't do much will be shown the door, hopefully in exchange for a bit of money so I can push for promotion to the first division next season.

Was it not a good ending to the season...well not such a good ending for myself:(

I know the blog lacks a little something which is probably due to my writing skills(more like my lack of writing skills:o)

It was grand like.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    LOGO%20SARMIENTO.jpg

Just reached the half way point of my first trip to Columbia. After a disastrous run in Indonesia I was hoping for better luck here. Much, much better as it turns out.

Took charge of Carlos Sarmiento who had a media prediction of 18th out of 18. After 17 games they are currently at the dizzying heights of fifth place! 26 points puts me only five behind the leaders Millonarios who spent more in the off season than the rest of the division did combined.

Pld: 17 Won: 7 Drew: 5 Lost: 5 GS: 43 GC: 39

Top players are Leonardo Enciso who has 16 goals and 6 assists in 23 games before getting injured in my latest match. Chap has been a free agent for four years before I signed him. His now settled strike partner is Ricardo Serna, who has 7 goals and 2 assists in 13 games. He was with the club already. Hector Millan in midfield has been great too while chipping in with 4 goals and 6 assists in 16 games. Also already at the club. Next, is Sebastian Bravo at CB. Despite his position, he has managed 4 goals and 1 assist in 13 games.

Highest Average Rating is none of those, it is instead Alfredo Guzman. He was signed after the registration window was closed so has only managed 3 cup appearances but did provide 2 goals and 1 assist in them. Still a few weeks before the window reopens so he is going to be well rested for the second half of the season.

By far exceeding the expectations I had when taking the job. The club was taken over earlier in the season but the new chairman has done nothing since so I have no idea what he will be like when it comes to money.

Other than that, I have a large enough squad and several players are yet to play a game for me. Come the end of the season anyone who is advancing in years and didn't do much will be shown the door, hopefully in exchange for a bit of money so I can push for promotion to the first division next season.

I've always intended on getting save going in South America, had a good save with Flamengo but never been brave enough to venture outside the big two leagues over there...

What is the quality of player like at your level in Columbia?

• Advertisement

I've always intended on getting save going in South America, had a good save with Flamengo but never been brave enough to venture outside the big two leagues over there...

What is the quality of player like at your level in Columbia?
    Just did a quick comparison with Cardiff who won the Championship. My top rated players are a little behind their top rated players. Not much in it (I dont have all of their attribiutes but from what I do have) from the looks of things. Top half of the Championship would be my guess.

Advertisement