Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help with tattoo...

• 26-02-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Hey guys I want to get a thank you tattoo in script on my fore arm and need a bit of help choosing the text.
    A bit of background,
    I'm an alcoholic in recovery, sober nearly three years now. Back then I was very ill and was on the way out, id totally given up hope and kind of accepted I was probably going to die, i was 23.
    One day my friends just called out to me and took me to the beach for a drive, anyway long story short, they made me realise that I couldn't give up hope, that was the last day I took a drink.
    So I want to get this tattoo for them because they literally saved my life!
    I am useless at trying to think of quotes or text for this sort of thing, has anybody got any suggestions for me?? I have been trying to come up with something for weeks but nothing good unfortunately!
    Any help will be very much appreciated guys,
    Thanks, P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

there's a latin quote that translates as "A friend is another me"

Or you could take a quote from Aristotle and truncate it to suit your own circumstance "Without friends no one would choose to live"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

These 2 are my favourites :
    The quality of your recovery is proportional to the quality of your surrender.

"With one hand, hold onto a friend, and put the other in God's hands, then you won't have a hand to hold a bottle."

and would make great tattoos.

Heres some I found on AA websites.

It is not I who become addicted, it is my body.
    -Jean Cocteau

Sobriety is a journey
    -E.V. Stankowski

Sobriety was the greatest gift I ever gave myself.--Rob Lowe

Few random ones I also found.I like the bolded ones.

"Pain is the touchstone of spiritual growth."

"Happiness is appreciating what you have, not getting what you want."

"If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it."

"Remember: It's ok to look back but don't stare. "

" Alcoholic drinking's three stages: impulsive, compulsive, repulsive. "

"Those who abandon their dreams will discourage yours"

"We can no longer be content with just getting by."

"I spent a lifetime in hell and it only took me twelve steps to get to heaven."

"Would you like to be right or happy?"

"When I came to recovery I realized that being a child for 28 years nearly killed me"

"We came to these rooms not because we drank a lot, but because we drank too much."

"Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. "

"Remember, don't run so fast that your guardian angel can't keep up"

"The longer I'm sober, the drunker I was."

"A friend will never be in your way, unless you’re falling down."

"Amivus Certus In Re Incerta Cernitur"- a true friend is discovered in times of uncertainty

So glad you saw the light OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

That's some awesome help there guys, a few in particular would be perfect! I couldn't ask for any better help thank you! I'll have a think and when it's done ill post it up here! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Congratulations on the 3 years. Are you set on script for you tattoo?

As soon as i read your post, i had an image of a beach scene at sunrise (to represent the dawning of a new you) with silhouette's representing yourself and your friends.

Slightly different idea to what you where looking for i know, but no harm to give a slightly different idea.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on the 3 years. Are you set on script for you tattoo?

As soon as i read your post, i had an image of a beach scene at sunrise (to represent the dawning of a new you) with silhouette's representing yourself and your friends.

Slightly different idea to what you where looking for i know, but no harm to give a slightly different idea.

OOOOOOHHHHHH.... that really is a GREAT idea too.... Now im confused lol!!!
    I think its best to really take a few weeks to think this one through, because this is super important to me! Great suggestion though, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Here's an interesting idea for you. (though this is assuming you're in Dublin tomorrow).

Dublin Ink are having a tattoo charity day tomorrow. For the sum of €50 (or as much as you can afford) they are tattooing everyone with the 1 phrase:

Ó Lá go Lá - which literally translates as 'day by day'.

http://www.facebook.com/events/223977307681901/

Its for the suicide charity Ó Lá go Lá. While obviously suicide is not the reason you're getting the tattoo, I feel the words hold some truth for you too.

Plus, you'll get to give the money to a good cause.

this is the script they'll be doing:

396283_10150570646631668_192781146667_8720337_584808343_n.jpg

Just an idea for you :)

Here's an interesting idea for you. (though this is assuming you're in Dublin tomorrow).

Dublin Ink are having a tattoo charity day tomorrow. For the sum of €50 (or as much as you can afford) they are tattooing everyone with the 1 phrase:

Ó Lá go Lá - which literally translates as 'day by day'.

http://www.facebook.com/events/223977307681901/

Its for the suicide charity Ó Lá go Lá. While obviously suicide is not the reason you're getting the tattoo, I feel the words hold some truth for you too.

Plus, you'll get to give the money to a good cause.

this is the script they'll be doing:

396283_10150570646631668_192781146667_8720337_584808343_n.jpg

Just an idea for you :)

So you're handing 50+ bills over for a piece a free advertising for a charity permanently inked onto you?

Bambi wrote: »
    So you're handing 50+ bills over for a piece a free advertising for a charity permanently inked onto you?

People like you are allowed on the internet?

People like you are allowed on the internet?

Yup, every second weekday and all day on the weekends. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Free advertising?

If 'free advertising' is what you call spreading awareness of a very important & prevalent social issue then I'm all for 'free advertising'!

Yup, every second weekday and all day on the weekends. :)

The point was that these words would / could mean as much to the OP as those who might benefit from the work the charity do.

And if the OP also thought so, that he could have that tattoo done, while giving the cost of it to a worthwhile charity.

I actually thought it was a very reasonable suggestion (obviously the OP may not want that phrase, but I was just giving another idea).

The point was that these words would / could mean as much to the OP as those who might benefit from the work the charity do.

And if the OP also thought so, that he could have that tattoo done, while giving the cost of it to a worthwhile charity.

I actually thought it was a very reasonable suggestion (obviously the OP may not want that phrase, but I was just giving another idea).

Hey i only saw this now sorry! God damn it im not in dblin tomorrow but as sure as im typing this i would have gotten this too.... not only is it great to spread awareness of this subject and the awful, life changing effects it has on people, bt that really also does apply to me. Its basically the same as the AA's one day at a time and would be great to have on me as a reminder to keep going!! Thanks for this suggestion, just a bloody shame i saw it so late as i think i would have tried to travel from wexford.... damn....

Advertisement