Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst city in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Limerick it is, then...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Limerick is the worst of the four IMO but I don't think it's an absolute dump overall. Out by UL is well swish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A lot of people voting Limerick have probably never even been there

Too busy reading scare stories from Paul Williams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I always thought Kilkenny was a city ? :confused:

so is waterford :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Cork.

Such a horrible accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Limerick is like a large halting site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Limerick will win that poll a 100 times out of 100, we can thank the media for that.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Kilkenny City has many streets in its city centre and has the infamous Cats Laugh festival every year. It may not match up in size compared to other cities in Ireland but it's a city nonetheless. If you don't like Kilkenny City don't come to it simple as.

/Rant
    They didn't say they didn't like it.

Cork.

Such a horrible accent
    I was thinking more in terms of the architecture, the businesses there, the things to do, the atmosphere and so forth. I wouldn't have a breeze what anyone was saying to me in Stockholm, but I'd still say the city itself was nice.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Limerick will win that poll a 100 times out of 100, we can thank the media for that.
    Well, that and the fact that it is indeed a total dump. I speak as a man who has visited several cities - perhaps almost half a dozen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Limerick can be alright for a night out but I could never see myself living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Apart from the scrapping for lower places, wasn't this an obvious one?

Dump-wise, I'd go:
    1.Limerick
    2.Dublin
    3.Cork
    4.Galway

Dublin's got a lot of attractions that'd almost make me put up with the skangers and junkies, Galway's got too many culchies to appreciate the cultural side unhindered, Corks actually got more skangers than Limerick, but they're WAY less prone to violence and intimidation (maybe because the students in Cork aren't in a student ghetto?), and Limerick... has nothing, really.
    A nice country-side to escape to?

grindle wrote: »
    and Limerick... has nothing, really.
    A nice country-side to escape to?
    Indeed. But then you're facing into wicked traffic jams. I've spent many sad hours crawling around Adare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When visiting limerick i remember the 1st thing i saw was a prison to the left then a dump of a housing estate to the right :cool:

Hope you never drive through Portlaoise so :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Theres only 1 city in ireland, the rest are all large villages.

Dublin wins!

The prize for being a city, a sh*tehole, or both?

Yeah I'm constantly amazed by how safe Cork is.

I don't think any of them are dumps overall with no nice bits. I think Limerick centre is nicer than Galway centre tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Dudess wrote: »
    Limerick is the worst of the four IMO but I don't think it's an absolute dump overall. Out by UL is well swish...
    Lovely area but I had one of my most scary momements in limerick out my UL. Also most taught I was going to me involved in a gang land killing curse you media

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

It isn't so bad in Limerick. Try going to the new milkmarket on a Saturday morning. Great buzz, music playing, good food. Or a rugby game in Thomond Park. I admit it was much better back in 2007/2008 when I studied there with great pubs and craic...now its alot quieter. Still not such a bad place if you give it a chance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Galway is a bit of a knacker hole.
    Can't say too much about Cork.
    Dublin is grand for a visit, but I find the people can be ignorant and there is knackers everywhere.
    Limerick actually doesn't have as many knackers as you'd think and I find the people from Limerick and Cork the friendliest.

Personally, having lived in Limerick and Dublin, I'd rather live in Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I don't know why Galways is rated at all. A massive traffic jam, a square with a Supermacs, and two cobbled steets. The county is lovely though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Bet half the people that voted for Limerick haven't even been here :rolleyes:

A night out in Limerick coupled with a Heinken Cup game in Thomond Park is great craic! And UL campus is class.

Basically, if you are into sport (specifically rugby and soccer), then Limerick is for you.

Also, there is far less snobbery here than anywhere else in Ireland from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

mikemac1 wrote: »
    When visiting limerick i remember the 1st thing i saw was a prison to the left then a dump of a housing estate to the right :cool:

Hope you never drive through Portlaoise so :eek:
    well laois is now bypassed so nobody has to go near it

UL is a class looking college all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

How in the name of Jaysus has Ballyremote got a mention this many times in a thread about Irish cities???

:eek:

Things must have expanded rapidly since I left 3 months ago. Next thing you'll be telling me there is running water there :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

MAJOR cities...I also left out Belfast and Derry. I didn't want to get to confuse folks with more than 4 choices.
    Surely Belfast is a major city?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Well, that and the fact that it is indeed a total dump. I speak as a man who has visited several cities - perhaps almost half a dozen.

I am not going to argue with you because whether or not it is a dump is subjective, and atleast you have visited before passing judgement.

What I will say is the media as skewed a lot of peoples views of limerck, especially those who have never been there, they imagine it to be as it is portrayed in the media and it is no where near as bad as they make it out to be. A friend of mine from college was coming to stay at my place for my 21st, she had to lie and say she was going to tipp otherwise her parents woukd have kicked up a fuss, I don't live in the city, actually I live 30 minutes AWAY from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

KKkitty wrote: »
    Kilkenny City has many streets in its city centre and has the infamous Cats Laugh festival every year. It may not match up in size compared to other cities in Ireland but it's a city nonetheless. If you don't like Kilkenny City don't come to it simple as.

/Rant
    One thing a city needs (amongst other criteria), is a university. All the others do and Dublin has two (three if you count DCU).

I know Dublin and Galway the best, and only visited the other two briefly. IMO Limerick is the worst, followed by Dublin/Cork in second and Galway the most desirable.

A lot of the time though, the media is just reporting actual incidents and individuals/families, but yeah of course that doesn't mean all of Limerick is really dangerous - irrational to come to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

I am not going to argue with you because whether or not it is a dump is subjective, and atleast you have visited before passing judgement.

What I will say is the media as skewed a lot of peoples views of limerck, especially those who have never been there, they imagine it to be as it is portrayed in the media and it is no where near as bad as they make it out to be. A friend of mine from college was coming to stay at my place for my 21st, she had to lie and say she was going to tipp otherwise her parents woukd have kicked up a fuss, I don't live in the city, actually I live 30 minutes AWAY from the city.

I'd feel a lot safer on a night out in Limerick than Tipp town tbh. Tipp town is lethal. A lot of rough and dodgy types around considering how small it is. There has been many a violent incident there over the past 5 years, a lot for a small town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Cork. The accent is horrendous.

Advertisement