Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT out for lunch?

• 03-10-2009 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Considering theres long waiting lists for NCT's. Why do NCT centers close for lunch. Can they not stagger their lunch hours.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

+1, and why do they stand around talking too when they are meant to be working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

BostonB wrote: »
    Considering theres long waiting lists for NCT's. Why do NCT centers close for lunch. Can they not stagger their lunch hours.

Still the same amount of labour hours so it makes no odds really

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

its a lunch hour guys, come on its not the end of the world.

either way, the same amount of men are working the same hours, so the waiting list will remain either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It deals with people, its not a production line. People can get to a NCT center at lunchtime they may not at other times. Also visual checks could be done. I was at one earlier and there was a good queue for visual checks. Surely one person could cover that desk during lunchtime. I'm guessing theres a big demand for slots outside working hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Not all close for lunch. Some even stay open till 10pm weeknights.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »

Its obviously a local managment policy. I thought in the past when there was large queues they had extended hours. I surprised to see them close, with guys standing around having a smoke while theres a big queue of people building up, just doesn't seem right. Especially if you've waited 3 months for an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

JHMEG wrote: »

Indeed and some that stay open till 10 close for dinner. They made a mistake with my car once, thinking that it was only a visual (it was a full check) and leaving it while they were having a break (it was supposed to be done before their break). I talked to the manager, who apologised and gave me the test for free. Not so bad for a 30 minute delay :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They also work Saturdays and Sundays so there is plenty of choice of time for people to get their car tested!

So I guess I'll be able to book on next week then. No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

the b's made my life misery last night....jipped and failed me over inner sections of alloy wheels not visible and then when i displayed same said see you in 3 months for your next nct as the previous owner never nct.ed it. full of eastern european mafia.....not an irish person in sight and the economy going down the jacks,,,,,,,,,,:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bearcat wrote: »
    the b's made my life misery last night....jipped and failed me over inner sections of alloy wheels not visible
    eh? do you mean the wheel nuts were covered? If so then this is normal and they are just doing their job
    when i displayed same said see you in 3 months for your next nct as the previous owner never nct.ed it.
    If it is due another test in 3 months then it is due another test - again not their fault! However, as you can do a test up to three months early, I suspect then that your current one has more than 3 months to go before it expires!
    full of eastern european mafia.....not an irish person in sight and the economy going down the jacks,,,,,,,,,,:mad:
    STFU
    Were you aiming to be racist or retarded? Maybe you are trying to be both!?!?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

full of eastern european mafia.....not an irish person in sight and the economy going down the jacks,,,,,,,,,,:mad:
    I suspect that's because Irish people weren't willing to work for the wages being offered. I don't know what the testers are paid, but I'd imagine that during the cetic tiger anyone with mechanical skills/qualifications could get paid a lot more working as a mechanic in a dealer/garage or as an independant. Hence that's what all the Irish people did, leaving nobody but eastern europeans applying for the roles.

Nice derail there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jameswburke

BostonB wrote: »

You'll be interested to know that they are still at it in 2012. Yesterday I had an NCT at Kilkenny. One of my tiny parking lights was "too dim". I got an new one and returned, only to find them all filing out to lunch. Their list of opening hours does not mention lunch hours. I had to sit and wait while several people tried the locked door. As you suggest, can they not stagger their lunches, at least for 'visual' inspections?. Would it happen in a real business? I think not. A whole morning wasted. Up the fecking cats!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement