Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friendly Leap Card Agents (where to buy or top-up a leapcard)

• 13-12-2011 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

This is coming up a lot now so think we need a separate thread.
    If people could post places where they successfully bought or topped up a leapcard. Not all agents are up to speed on the system yet so some just refuse to deal with sale.

Please don't debate the leapcard or post issues here. There's a separate thread for that.
    A sticky would be nice.

http://forum.railusers.ie confirmed these as working last week
    Station House, Dundrum Luas Stop
    Reynolds, Abbey St
    Stanleys, Abbey St
    Students Union Shop, Trinity College
    Easons, Heuston Station

Centra, Ranelagh
    Centra, Marine Rd Dun Laoghaire

Mace, South Circular Rd Rear of James Hospital

Londis, St Stephen's Green
    Londis, 2-3 College Green
    Londis, Westmoreland Street

Spar, Fairview. SilverLiningOK reported refusal.
    Spar, Swords
    Spar, Tallaght Cross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

Spar at Philipsburgh Avenue in Marino don't have them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Londis on Ballyfermot Road have them for sale.

Centra on Ballyfermot Road successfully processed a top up for me this afternoon.

In both cases staff said I was the first customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Spar, Lower Grafton Street.

Spar, Fairview from above list refused to sell me one, saying they didn't know how to top it up.

Got one from C & T Supermaket, Philipsburgh Ave, Marino - who were completely up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Spar, Fairview from above list refused to sell me one, saying they didn't know how to top it up.

Cheers. Struck them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Maguires, bottom of Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I got one in Fresh on Wexford/Camden St.
    They weren't fully sure how it worked. Took a few minutes but they figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moyet

I tried in Londis on New street yesterday and they couldn't figure out how to work it the machine so i left empty handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Saw someone getting one earlier today in Jeffs londis in Palmerstown.

Judging by earlier comments about agents unsure about procedure, the fella in this shop seemed to know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I picked up my online top-up on Monday in Centra on Parnell Street, near the top of Moore Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I'd say this list will also be dependent on who happens to be on the till when you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Topped mine up successfully just there in Centra opposite Marlay Pk on Grange Road, no problems chap seemed to know what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is an approximate list of locations, based on the Payzone website on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Victor wrote: »
    This is an approximate list of locations, based on the Payzone website on Wednesday.

Unfortunately most of these agents aren't yet issuing Leap Cards for a variety of reasons. Machine not connected, LEAP cards locked away somewhere or not arrived and the main one, staff not trained how to do it.

I'm hoping to get a list of shops posted here, where people have been successful.

robd wrote: »
    Unfortunately most of these agents aren't yet issuing Leap Cards for a variety of reasons. Machine not connected, LEAP cards locked away somewhere or not arrived and the main one, staff not trained how to do it.

I'm hoping to get a list of shops posted here, where people have been successful.

Agree. So far I can only trust one of my local shops, which doesn't open the extended hours of other "convenience" stores. The Leap is still a bit of a rarity in it's first week. The shops would want to get their act together before the bus fares go up, then there will be a rush on Leap. It's not the staff's fault from talking to some. The cards were just dropped off and no training on how to top up.

Even the Payzone list show that there areas of the city centre that have little coverage of top-up/purchase locations. For this to be a success, it has to easy available and buying credit needs to be straightforward.

We need feedback here on the successes with agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Clearly the 'training' that went on with Payzone agents was as comprehensive as it was with Dublin Bus drivers i.e. non-existent.

I was one of the 500 people who got Leap Cards in advance of it's general availability to the general public. The literature which came with my card said to check www.payzone.ie to see which Payzone agents could handle Leap Cards. I checked the website and it said that a local newsagent could do Leap topup so off I went and asked for a €10 topup.

Despite dealing with a very intelligent young lady, she was adamant that the shop was not yet doing Leap and she (politely) refused my request for a topup. When I e-mailed the folk at Leap for a comment, they then gave me a list of just nine merchants in the whole of Dublin county (Swords to Dundrum) who could do Leap topup. Clearly this was a complete contradiction of the information I was given when I got the card.

A few days after the Leap Card became generally available, I went into another local shop with a Payzone logo on the door. This time one of the more experienced shop assistants dealt with my request for a topup and when doing so she called over two of her colleagues to show them what she was doing. Obviously this was part of the 'extensive' training that we've come to expect from the €58,000,000 that's been spent on the project.

I used Spar Kenilworth today. Cashier didn't have a clue what I was ttalking about, but wanted to buy one himself.

While he was learning on the go, he was able to top it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I used Spar Kenilworth today. Cashier didn't have a clue what I was ttalking about, but wanted to buy one himself.

While he was learning on the go, he was able to top it up.

MY TRAINING was me interogating the delivery man who arrived with the cards, added to what I read on boards. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not very good !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

No problem today topping up in Spar on Ballyfermot Road.

Ballyfermot seems like the centre of the Leap Card movement ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i went into one of the tom stanleys in the blanchardstown shopping centre to topup. the lady knew exactly what i wanted. no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I bought and topped up a Leap card on Dame Street in Londis this week and it was grand.

Better experience than when I tried to get one in Temple Bar Centra a few days ago!
    Me: "Do you sell bus tickets?"
    Cashier: "Yes we do."
    Me (foolishly optimistic) "Grand. Do you have the Leap cards, those bus tickets you can top-up?"
    Him (surly): "What? NO!" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Why is the first one on the list in Kerry?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why is the first one on the list in Kerry?

Kerry x2 and Carbury in Kildare which don't have Leap services...

I have no idea why there are Kerry-based agents ahead of Dublin-based agents. They are first in that list as it is sorted alphabetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Why don't payzone do not display places like Dundrum, Ballybrack, Clontarf or even Tallaght to buy a leapcard yet?

I am using Google Chrome now and they are still not there.

I think this payzone list is an absolute joke at the minute not showing every main location in Dublin.:mad:

I think it may be down to making sure all the equipment is fitted, the software installed and the cards delivered.

Certainly the ~263 listed doesn't come near the 400+ claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

Why don't payzone do not display places like Dundrum, Ballybrack, Clontarf or even Tallaght to buy a leapcard yet?

Dundrum is listed under Dublin 14 for some reason. I presume that shops in the other areas will be added soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Perhaps because Dundrum is in Dublin 14?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

lxflyer wrote: »
    Perhaps because Dundrum is in Dublin 14?

Someone should tell Dundrum Town Centre that they're using the wrong postcode then. An Post should also be notified because they deliver all my post to Dundrum, D16 without any of the Wrong Postcode warning labels that they're so fond of :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well Dundrum Village itself is in Dublin 14. That's where the shop is.

Like Rathfarnham, the greater Dundrum area has addresses in both Dublin 14 and Dublin 16.

Advertisement