Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air hostess requirements

• 29-07-2007 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hello. I'm just wondering what qualifications are required to be come an air hostess? I heard you need a portfolio or something. Can anyone help?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not nessecarily. Take a look at the recruitment sections of different airlines and see the requirements. Generally there are some height/weight requirements, clean background, valid passport etc. You'll probably be required to send a photo with your application, but portfolio..no.

www.pprune.org also has a whole forum dedicated to cabin crew that is worth checking out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Yep, http://www.pprune.org for all your questions.
    It's a tough job, by the way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It should be listed in the recruitment ads for the jobs.
    There are no qualifications a such needed for the job,just that you can be pleasant and can present yourself well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭scitpo

An ability to live on 10K a year is always a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ability to swim always seems to come up....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Oriel wrote:
    Yep, http://www.pprune.org for all your questions.
    It's a tough job, by the way.

I'm just curious! :) In what sense?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

People tend to think it's all just looking pretty and dishing out vodkas and food on a tray. They forget the long hours, the constant paperwork, the harassing passengers, the screaming kids, lecherous blokes, the safety of the passangers and low-to-moderate pay amongst many other downsides. Again pprune is your friend..many tales of woe there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

youtube has many cabin crew training videos....I remember a turkish airlines one

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

BuffyBot wrote:
    People tend to think it's all just looking pretty and dishing out vodkas and food on a tray. They forget the long hours, the constant paperwork, the harassing passengers, the screaming kids, lecherous blokes, the safety of the passangers and low-to-moderate pay amongst many other downsides. Again pprune is your friend..many tales of woe there ;)

I know a few air hostessess that work or have worked for 5 different air lines.

It does vary airline to airline but

The long hours are definately more then balanced out by the amount of days worked.They have much shorter working hours then those of us in office jobs.
    Alot of the pay is tax free and in the end it works out to be quite good especially for someone very young going in to it.
    In the first year the money can be pretty crap but on top of that you do get your extra money for over nights etc so you can live on it.
    I have noticed though that a few of the airlines seem to be outsourcing to agencies in countries with cheaper labour

There is little room for promotion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shebechris

hey, i just went to a interview for cabin crew, the company is dalmac and they train crew for ryanair. the website is www.dalmac.ie Good Luck! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement