Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epic fail by Telegraph.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

'Tis aweful Joe!

For God's sake. Woman decides not to become a prostitute. Fine. Woman fails to find employment, and in line with the law that applies to everyone else, she may have her benefit cut.

I don't see the big deal?
    Millions of women everyday decide not to become prostitutes.:confused:

The Telegraph is slowly turning into an awful rag that spins crap so fast it flies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This is from 2005 and it was due to an error in the system
    afaik they have fixed it since
    that's what i remember reading, can't really google it at work

LOL, this can't be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

bluewolf wrote: »
    +1
    http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/brothel.asp

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bluewolf wrote: »

They actually voted it into law rather then admit that there could be a mistake in the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

Surely they cant make women work in brothels just because there are no other jobs!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Larleane28

People interested in this ought to dig a little deeper than whatever they can find on snoops.com

I remember that story. Several German women were threatened with withdrawal of their social welfare benefits prior to that story breaking, and other German women were forced to attend interviews for nude modelling and sex phone line work. One German woman, a lawyer and activist, was very vocal about it at the time, and I remember her saying 'there is now nothing in the law to stop German women being forced into the sex industry' or words to that effect.

The reason all this happened was because Germany legalised prostitution and in doing so found themselves in a legal positon where they could not treat pimps and madams any differently from proprieters of launderettes and cafes. The legal loophole was sewn up after a brothel owner took the bid for his 'rights' as a legitimate employer as far as he could in a German court. The judge ruled that the purpose of legalisation had been to protect the workers, not to further the industry itself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Were these companies not then subject to the same equal employment laws as everyone else? Were/are they allowed cherry pick the candidates while the workers had no such choice? What exactly are the qualifications required for these jobs?

Advertisement