Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What dentist work does my medical card cover?!!

• 27-09-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi all!

I'm in the process of booking a dentist appointment and want to know what is covered by my medical card?

I will probably need a few fillings, cleaning, and might get whitened.

I also need 4 wisdom teeth taken out (eventually, - for braces), but last I heard the waiting time is around two years!!

Any information on the medical card / dental protocols would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Hi all!

I'm in the process of booking a dentist appointment and want to know what is covered by my medical card?

I will probably need a few fillings, cleaning, and might get whitened.

I also need 4 wisdom teeth taken out (eventually, - for braces), but last I heard the waiting time is around two years!!

Any information on the medical card / dental protocols would be greatly appreciated!

It does not cover a lot now, you are entitled to 2 fillings per year, they will do extractions for free if the tooth is rotten, they don't allow any more cleaning you will have to pay to get that done,

So thats about it really anything else you need doing you will have to fork out or do without

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

gustafo wrote: »
    It does not cover a lot now, you are entitled to 2 fillings per year, they will do extractions for free if the tooth is rotten, they don't allow any more cleaning you will have to pay to get that done,

So thats about it really anything else you need doing you will have to fork out or do without

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

Just a thought but if you want to get a check up and cleaning done you might be better off trying the colgate deal thats on at the moment which entitles you to both when you buy 3 of their products as the medical card doesn't cover much in the dental dept. unless it's an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

emzibob wrote: »
    Just a thought but if you want to get a check up and cleaning done you might be better off trying the colgate deal thats on at the moment which entitles you to both when you buy 3 of their products as the medical card doesn't cover much in the dental dept. unless it's an emergency.

Whats the colgate deal ?? never heard of it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

http://www.colgate.ie/app/OralHealthMonth/IE/Home.cvsp

If you buy a mouthwash,2 x toothbrushes and toothpaste I think, colgate will pay up to €65 towards your check up or scale and polish. So you could get your free medical card dental check up (once a year) and then have your teeth cleaned for free :) The products cost about €15 to buy which is much cheaper than paying to have your teeth cleaned. Have a look in the deals section on here they should have more info! hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

I doubt they will take out wisdom teeth for braces. The medical card only covers essential treatment no cosmetic treatments such as whitening and braces. I would guess "emergency" extractions would only cover decayed teeth or impacting teeth not to take out teeth to make room for braces. Thread would be better moved to dental issues for more detailed responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It will cover fillings, cleaning,whitened and tooth removel

Advertisement