Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat Low on power

• 19-03-2010 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey all,

Noticed a drop in power the past few days on the motor way. Find tath the car is struggling up hills a bit, Normally i would never have the pedal to the floor and there is loads of power there. I understand that it is impossible to diagnose from this description. But there are no warning lights coming on. it seems to beonly in the higher gears that the "go" is not there. Its a 1.9TDI (No Red anything)
    I am afraid it might be a turbo issue. I haven't ruled out dirty diesel but I don't know what the symptoms of dirty diesel and the garage I get my fuel form is the same as always

any advise would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hey all,

Noticed a drop in power the past few days on the motor way. Find tath the car is struggling up hills a bit, Normally i would never have the pedal to the floor and there is loads of power there. I understand that it is impossible to diagnose from this description. But there are no warning lights coming on. it seems to beonly in the higher gears that the "go" is not there. Its a 1.9TDI (No Red anything)
    I am afraid it might be a turbo issue. I haven't ruled out dirty diesel but I don't know what the symptoms of dirty diesel and the garage I get my fuel form is the same as always

any advise would be great

Mightn't necessarily be the Turbo, could be alot of things , you need a diagnostic really.

I had a similar problem with my 1.9 TDI Skoda, turned out to be the mass airflow meter.

Its connected to the Airbox, disconnect it and see if that makes any difference.

If it does its probably that.

tis about 130 euros for a new one, or you can clean your existing one:
    http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/46010-guide-how-to-clean-your-maf-sensor/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

A leaky turbo pipe? have someone rev the car with the bonnet open and listen for air escaping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭mcnewberson

ya I can do that, would a leaky turbo pipe mean that there would be a hissing sound or something?

Still having some problems here with his guys,notice that at times the power is there and then next time I start the car it might not be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭GavMan

If its in warranty, get it down to a dealer.

Uncle had a similar issue with a petrol version. Airflow sounds familiar but cant recall what the cause was for sure.

Took a couple of visits to the dealer to sort out.

• Advertisement

No its not in Warranty - got it hooked up to a computer to check and it seems that a "VW Boost regulator Valve - P1549" message came up and something about lympo mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

limp-home mode i'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭macrubicon

The MAF on the VAG diesels is a common thing to go - so it's not always a turbo problem. That said when mine have gone in the past it never went into limp mode.

Best bet is to get it to a garage and see what the issue is - if it's in limp mode you will be getting very little power out of it compared to the norm.

A quick google suggests an exhaust gas sensor problem with that error code.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

i have a 2001 passat the 1.6 petrol version.ive noticed in the last month or so that the heater doesnt seem to be blowing as strong as it normally was or getting as hot.i was just wondering what the problem could be?

Advertisement