Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most depressing Dunnes in Ireland?

• 23-04-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Is it the grimy lino? The constant, arhythmically blinky flourescent lights? Perhaps it's the miserable looking pastry or the general, all permeating sense of despair that radiates from each and every staff member into the very metal of the shelves themselves? Maybe it's simply the invariable, almost visibly tangible sense of big-fish-in-a-small-pond lunacy all the supervisors always generate.

Regardless, it simply wouldn't be a Dunnes Stores experience without that nagging, leaching, unfailing sense of melancholy characteristic to every branch.

The question is - which is the most depressing Dunnes Stores in Ireland? Which is the one Dunnes that makes you want to close one of the freezers after you, or cry right into a handful of Cuisine De France?

Personally, I'm inclined to suggest the one in Stephen's Green. I think it's that "abandoned fallout shelter" vibe that really gives it the edge, but I want to know what you guys think.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Tom Dunne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

The one in the Square is quite chipper!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ballina.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

SSG is pretty awful alright, Wexford- Redmond Sq is just a dump imho too much crap in too little space and the floor is many different floor types- none clean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

The one with Irelands' smallest lingerie department.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Thats a lovely poem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Nutgrove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Dunnes is dunnes and hardly Brown Thomas.

They serves their purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

thank your lucky stars they bought out H.williams, who had bought out crazy prices... who had bought out tesco after their first foray into the irish market..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

44leto wrote: »
    Dunnes is dunnes and hardly Brown Thomas.

They serves their purpose.

Am I the only one who thinks Dunnes have became dearer over the years?

Remember years ago when kids were ashamed to be seen in Dunnes clothes etc.

Anyways...

The Dunnes in Enniscorthy before they opened the new one.

I hope someone else remembers that... The one in St.Stephen's green was like Harrod's food hall compared to this horror of a grocery section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

How could you forget the music? Maybe I'm especially sensitive as I worked there for quite a while and it slowly drove me to the brink of insanity. Don't know where they get it, exactly the same songs pumped through every store and it is the most tuneless miserable crap ever recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,101 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The one in the Swan centre is a dump. And the one in Clondalkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anyone remember the downstairs in the old dunnes on north earl street? it looked like a nazi bomb shelter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Out of all the Dunnes Stores that I've worked in,the North Earl Street and Rathmines stores were the most depressing.Kilnamanagh isn't much better either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Personally, I'm inclined to suggest the one in Stephen's Green. I think it's that "abandoned fallout shelter" vibe that really gives it the edge, but I want to know what you guys think.

And they are always out of Nuka Cola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

thank your lucky stars they bought out H.williams, who had bought out crazy prices... who had bought out tesco after their first foray into the irish market..
    It's a shop, within a shop, within a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Yeah coz Tesco is fun fun fun..

It's a shop, within a shop, within a shop.

Inshoption

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Dunnes is for old people anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I love Dunnes, there layout there food etc, if your looking for a depressing cheap and skanky supermarket i suggest you go visit any Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Kevski

Dunnes in Crumlin Shopping Centre is a fairly depressing spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Is the Tesco in that crappy little shopping centre in Roscrea closed since the big new Tesco opened? That was without doubt THE most depressing supermarket in Ireland.

Although to be fair, Roscrea in general is depressing so it just fitted in with the general air of the place. As someone described to me before, Roscrea is both figuratively and literally a hole- all roads out of it go uphill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

KeithM89 wrote: »
    The one with Irelands' smallest lingerie department.
    BRAvo for that post Keith. Of corset's true in Dunnes you'd need to be a big suspender sorry spender these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Regardless, it simply wouldn't be a Dunnes Stores experience without that nagging, leaching, unfailing sense of melancholy characteristic to every branch.
    Op by the sounds of it you have never been to lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Is the one in the Ilac centre still open? Mind you that whole place is depressing.:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

skinny90 wrote: »
    Op by the sounds of it you have never been to lidl

Nothing wrong with Lidl.

Farf better than any other BigBrand shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The question is - which is the most depressing Dunnes Stores in Ireland? Which is the one Dunnes that makes you want to close one of the freezers after you, or cry right into a handful of Cuisine De France?

Dunnes Stores in Portlaoise is particularly grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Most depressing Dunnes in Ireland?

The one I work in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

RayM wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores in Portlaoise is particularly grim.
    Fits in well with the rest of the town so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Azures

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Ballina.

/thread
    I agree - that description was pure Ballina!

Advertisement