Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCA Single Extension

• 29-05-2012 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an amp and sub that are connected by a single rca connection.

The cable's not long enough.

I have a left and right rca extension cable (male to female)...

My question is can I use one side of that cable (i.e. the red or white) to extend the single one and if so, will it affect sound quality?

I've searched but can't sem to find an answer...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you mean split the cable lengthwise and plugging one half into the other to make it longer - go for it. Shouldn't affect the sound quality at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

sin0city wrote: »

My question is can I use one side of that cable (i.e. the red or white) to extend the single one and if so, will it affect sound quality?

No problem at all. Rather than split the cable (it might be useful in the future) just use red or white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    No problem at all. Rather than split the cable (it might be useful in the future) just use red or white.

Grand, I was just concerned that the red and white were like 2 halves of the one whereas the single cable had all in one and I'd lose something by using just the red or white of the extension...

But is it the case that all 3 (the single, the red and the white) are really all the exact same cable i.e. that they are all interchangeable and the colour coding is for nothing more than to make it easier to connect stuff up??

Sorry if that isn't explained very well.

But is it the case that all 3 (the single, the red and the white) are really all the exact same cable i.e. that they are all interchangeable and the colour coding is for nothing more than to make it easier to connect stuff up??

Pretty much. A dedicated sub woofer cable would usually be a heavier gauge wire to carry the lower frequencies (and I'm not getting into a cable debate with anyone on this!) where as the left & right RCA cable could be any grade.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Pretty much. A dedicated sub woofer cable would usually be a heavier gauge wire to carry the lower frequencies (and I'm not getting into a cable debate with anyone on this!) where as the left & right RCA cable could be any grade.

Okay, great. Safe to say that I'd have to be listening very carefully to tell the difference between a heavier gauge cable and a standard one?

• Advertisement

Safe to say you wouldn't hear a difference no matter how carefully you listen. Skinny little headphone cables have no problem getting bass frequencies to your ears.

Okay, thanks all. One final question, does it make a difference that the extension cable I have isn't shieled. (It's 5M rca with gold connectors)

Okay, thanks all. One final question, does it make a difference that the extension cable I have isn't shieled. (It's 5M rca with gold connectors)

It probably is shielded. Gold makes no difference unless the entire cable run and every solder is gold too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

cnocbui wrote: »
    Safe to say you wouldn't hear a difference no matter how carefully you listen. Skinny little headphone cables have no problem getting bass frequencies to your ears.

"Skinny little headphone cables" are carrying milliwatt's!

earpiece wrote: »
    "Skinny little headphone cables" are carrying milliwatt's!

Power handling wasn't the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

This is going way off the topic of the OP's question.

There's a stickey about cables at the top of every HE forum for a good reason - the usual nonsense and trolling about cables the inevitably arises.

Any further trolling about cables will create a holiday from the HE Forums for the person who posts it.

If you have any questions about this, do not derail the thread by posting them here, raise the matter with me by PM.

Thanks,

Ritz.

Advertisement