Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

xperia mini

Comments

if you want to unlock it for use on another network it's $20 from fastgsm.com for the unlock. the unlock is a bit trickier than normal tho - you need to connect 2 points on the phone with a wire or paperclip as you connect the usb to the pc but a bit of googling and it's no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

There is also €10 cash back for speak easy upgrades or €15 for new customers through fatcheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

I asked over on the Bargain Request form if anybody has a working discount coupon for O2 as the 'O2COUPON' now comes up as expired. If anyone has a coupon that is working I'd be would be much obliged if they could post it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I got €22.50 back from fatcheese for buying this!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

BigCon wrote: »
    I got €22.50 back from fatcheese for buying this!

I thought it would only be €15 ... how did you manage to bump it up to €22.50. Thanks!

OP - thanks too - will be looking into this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

I need to unlock this to work with Meteor.
    From FastGSM......
    "These models require to connect TP (test point) to GND (ground). In such case just short the TP to the ground using metal clip, wire or tweezers and plug the USB cable to the phone. Disconnect TP once software to do so."

Any youtube links for this?

What about the many shops in town offering this service, are they ok?
    glasso wrote: »
    if you want to unlock it for use on another network it's $20 from fastgsm.com for the unlock. the unlock is a bit trickier than normal tho - you need to connect 2 points on the phone with a wire or paperclip as you connect the usb to the pc but a bit of googling and it's no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

There is also a 10%off code around somewhere too which always works.

Was thinking of the samsung Y but this looks much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

A word of warning; there's a 62 page thread on the Sony Ericsson website detailing what's wrong with this phone. It overheats and the screen becomes unusable. The only solution is to bring it to a Sony Ericsson approved service centre and have it 'calibrated'. There are reports of people still having issues with the phone, even after this calibration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have a mini and have had no problems yet touch wood. That said I wouldn't be using it that heavily, I don't do much demanding stuff on it. I really like it thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Fidelis wrote: »
    A word of warning; there's a 62 page thread on the Sony Ericsson website detailing what's wrong with this phone. It overheats and the screen becomes unusable. The only solution is to bring it to a Sony Ericsson approved service centre and have it 'calibrated'. There are reports of people still having issues with the phone, even after this calibration.

Work in an o2 store, and I've never had one of these back with problems.

• Advertisement

Pick any phone and you'll find somewhere on the web with a list of problem. At least SE are trying to fix the problem. Perhaps not many have bought them yet on O2, I've only mine a couple of months.

Frank11 wrote: »
    I need to unlock this to work with Meteor.
    From FastGSM......
    "These models require to connect TP (test point) to GND (ground). In such case just short the TP to the ground using metal clip, wire or tweezers and plug the USB cable to the phone. Disconnect TP once software to do so."

Any youtube links for this?

What about the many shops in town offering this service, are they ok?

http://androidflip.com/test-points-for-xperia-devices-xperia-arc-active-mini-mini-pro-neo-play-pro-ray/

on this page you'll see a pic for the mini (st15). you need to peel back the sticker under the battery to find it. it will be on the bottom 1/2, slightly on the right. then get a wire and put a safety pin on one end to hit the test point. put the other end to the ground - see st18 pic. these need to be connected as you connect the phone by usb to the pc. keep the battery out. you can't screw your phone up doing this - don't worry. just get the right point tho.

steps in order.

1. buy 1 credit from gsm unlock - 20 dollars. must register with them.
    2. download software from their site for unlock.
    3. login to software with registration info.
    4. should show the credit you have. select unlock
    5. when asked to connect phone do so by connecting test points to ground first and keep connected. then put in usb.
    6. keep connected until unlock software tells u to do so.
    7. will say unlock successful. done. disconnect phone and turn off and on. use whatever sim you want.

there is no youtube for this - I had to piece this together myself so enjoy the benefit of my research!

BostonB wrote: »
    Pick any phone and you'll find somewhere on the web with a list of problem. At least SE are trying to fix the problem. Perhaps not many have bought them yet on O2, I've only mine a couple of months.

exactly. if there is overheating on your phone there is a script fix using gscript - google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I was only trying to be helpful, folks.
    if there is overheating on your phone there is a script fix using gscript - google it.

The more prevalent touchscreen issue, which renders your phone useless, needs to be fixed in a service centre - google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

if there is overheating on your phone there is a script fix using gscript - google it.

The more prevalent touchscreen issue, which renders your phone useless, needs to be fixed in a service centre - google it.

I also have the phone and haven't had a bit of bother with it, perhaps the issue was fixed by an update.
    I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

well there's a solution then - they fix it if necessary!
    as the guy in the O2 shop said he's never seen one back.
    if I typed "problem with [insert name of any phone here] phone" into google I'd get plenty of results.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

johnwd wrote: »
    I thought it would only be €15 ... how did you manage to bump it up to €22.50. Thanks!

OP - thanks too - will be looking into this!

I don't know. I registered with fatcheese for the first time, searched for O2 offers, clicked on the prepay offer which took me to the O2 site (a page about a galaxy or something).
    Then I just navigated to the mini and bought it.
    I wasn't sure that I would get anything back but about a day after buying it the €22.50 shows up in my fatcheese a/c under O2 (it says I should get it in March)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

I have the mini pro... Never had a problem with it, but the camera (which I assume is the same in the mini) is terrible. So if you want a good camera look elsewhere

Personally I think the camera is decent. Its vastly better than the E71 I had before and better than the old X10 Mini. It not as good as some of the 8mp but then its a lot cheaper.

What phone has a better camera for €99 or less?

5mp, autofocus, focus mode, touch capture, white balance, geo tagging and image stabilization, face detection and smile shot, flash, 720p Video with continuous autofocus.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

TheDriver wrote: »
    There is also a 10%off code around somewhere too which always works.

Was thinking of the samsung Y but this looks much better

I think you might be thinking of the 'O2COUPON' which sadly no longer works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Looking to get a nice Android myself, and this seems ideal. How is the battery life for you? Also, can Android be updated..? Thanks in advance ;)

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Looking to get a nice Android myself, and this seems ideal. How is the battery life for you? Also, can Android be updated..? Thanks in advance ;)

battery life is decent - like any android phone if you are using games, apps and the internet a lot it will drain the battery quicker. if used just as a phone it will last 3 days easy.

there are over the air official updates on the phone but the sony ericsson version of android 2.3 on this is pretty good. if you want to get technical you can root the phone and install a custom version of android but that takes a bit of tech no-how - no real reason to do tho imo.

SE said they will bring all their 2011 phones to 4.0 eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

Thanks op, getting mine tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

I have one and love it, amazing little phone and ideal if you want a sexy machine that is not as big as an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Just got mine now. Are you meant to get a couple of replacement covers for the back of the phone?

None with mine anyway.

dog_pig wrote: »
    Just got mine now. Are you meant to get a couple of replacement covers for the back of the phone?

don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How do people find texting with this?

with the smaller size im worried my fat fingers wont be able to cope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

naughtb4 wrote: »
    How do people find texting with this?

with the smaller size im worried my fat fingers wont be able to cope

It's fiddly in portrait but in landscape it's fine, i've fat fingers too and I found it very easy to do.

Advertisement