Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Bad lane etiquette

• 29-03-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Experienced a rare case of bad lane etiquette in a coached swim set in a 50m pool last night. Female asked to go out ahead of me and i said no probs. Touched her feet a couple of lengths later and she ate the head of me and told me she was on the feet of the lead guy. When i said she should lead the lane out if being held up she stuck her nose up. a few of us normally take our turns on the front. She doesnt. I then overtook her in a timed 100m sprint. But then let her go ahead in a 50 easy at the end of which she turned with a face on her and steam coming out of her ears..waved me on with a stiff arm lose wrist and seething at the lips. What a biach i thought as i walked past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ettiquette is one of the key parts of our sport that is not properly taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I am VERY new to swimming, and would love to know what the etiquette is.

I was swimming last week, and when I get hit on the heels, I pull over and let the person past, but when I come up on somebody, i could do 6 or 8 lengths hitting feet all the time, and no budge. Do I need to force an overtake, or should the other person just allow?

Whats right, and whats wrong???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Overtake. If it's a group session I'd let them by at the wall if they were still right on my tail, they should be overtaking you in a club session though. What are they going to do in a race? wait patiently behind you? What would you do in OW ? wait patiently behind them? Overtake. :)

People who can't do breaststroke properly are the worst, don't even realise I'm on top of them till I'm nearly punching them in the back because their feet are just flailing about near the bottom of the pool and you don't even feel them in front of you.

Listen to me. I'm a crap swimmer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

It happens in most clubs I reckon. Some swimmers don't like to admit that there are people faster than them so don't pull over when feet are tapped. If the lane is busy enough sometmes there isn't the room to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

OP if you were on her feet and she was not getting dropped by lead guy but happy to stay there then shouldn't you have just taken over her and the lead guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

smcgui wrote: »
    OP if you were on her feet and she was not getting dropped by lead guy but happy to stay there then shouldn't you have just taken over her and the lead guy?

I had just done my turn on the front and slotted into third were i would have been on seconds feet until i moved to the front again(3 of us take turns). She was unwilling to do a turn on the front so should have been happy in fourth. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

Ah ok I get you now. Then I'd have just told her to suck it up! ;)

Advertisement