Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goody bags!

• 17-06-2009 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

hi,

i'm interested to know peoples feelings on run /triathlon goodybags.
    What do you really want?

i like a good t-shirt (adidas race series,connemarathon, carlingford triathlon e.g.), a nice wicking fabric.
    A sports drink is also nice, energy bar maybe, but other than that
    i'm not particularly interested in Flyers, Keyrings, Mugs, moisturisers etc.

What is the origin of goodybags anyway??

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

No goody bag, cheaper entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think most of the stuff in goody bags are generally promotional items from the race sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Haven't got a decent goody bag since the raheny 5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

A decent technical t-shirt in a SMALL size. My father and brother-in-law have a wide variety of sporting t-shirts.

Like the mugs.

Thought that the shampoo and conditioner in Kilkee last year was fantastic. :D

Key rings also nice as well.

Those small pull string bags are always great (Paris marathon had nice ones).

Things you can eat and drink.

Hate getting a goodie bag full of paper.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Last night Dunboyne AC were giving out goody bags. Entry fee was 10 euro and at the end you got a lucozade sport, bannana and nutra grain bar, just what I needed for the trip home as I didn't have dinner so I could race this. I was delighted as the goody bag was a bit unexpected, they also had sandwiches aswell. Thanks for a great race Dunboyne AC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

For the love of god no more feckin Cheerios please........
    What do you really want?
    Depends on the price of entry. For a high price event like Connemara a really good quality t-shirt is expected; for most Tri's you get a cheap cotton t-shirt which are handy for wearing at race starts and throwing away later. An energy bar and drink is also nice.

TriAthy's 'goody' bag was a box of cheerios and a few leaflets:rolleyes:
    Haven't got a decent goody bag since the raheny 5
    Agree. Nothing like a pack of tayto and a bottle of lucozade after a race:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

cfitz wrote: »
    No goody bag, cheaper entry fee.

Should the bag not drive the price of the race down though? If everything that's inside is being provided by the sponsors then there should essentially be no charge being pushed onto the participants. The only thing I think that would bring the cost up would be if a technical t-shirt is being provided and not fully covered by the sponsors. The organisers should be making money off the likes of flyer inserts, while energy drinks, bars, etc I'd have imagined would go in for free.

griffin100 wrote: »

Was very disappointing. Hopefully we're due to get a Tri-athy cycling top in the post though.

Was very disappointing. Hopefully we're due to get a Tri-athy cycling top in the post though.

Hopefully this one doesn't dissapear in the post like may Kilcock one;)

Oh? Have they said anything more on that? Maybe all the tops are from the same supplier who's causing problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

For the love of god no more feckin Cheerios please........

Depends on the price of entry. For a high price event like Connemara a really good quality t-shirt is expected; for most Tri's you get a cheap cotton t-shirt which are handy for wearing at race starts and throwing away later. An energy bar and drink is also nice.

Agree. Nothing like a pack of tayto and a bottle of lucozade after a race:)

+1 If the entry fee is small then a bottle of water and a bar is always nice after a run but if you are paying a price then a decent bag with a nice technical top and sure throw
    anything else in.. even the Cheerios :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No problem with the flyers being in the bag, it saves you having to deal with quite so many people trying to shove them in your hands at the finish line when your not quite with it. A good techinical t-shirt is always good, the Adidas ones are excellent for the price of doing the race series, I was surpised to get one last weekend though in a race that only cost £12 GBP, would have only been a tenner if BAC was UK registered. ;)

Not interested in the boxes of cereals that keep appearing in them, but a drink and banana and a few other sweets or things to munch on whilst hanging around at the finish is good. I've also found a few mini deodorant things in goody bags recently which have come in handy when flying Ryanair with hand luggage only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Should the bag not drive the price of the race down though? If everything that's inside is being provided by the sponsors then there should essentially be no charge being pushed onto the participants. The only thing I think that would bring the cost up would be if a technical t-shirt is being provided and not fully covered by the sponsors. The organisers should be making money off the likes of flyer inserts, while energy drinks, bars, etc I'd have imagined would go in for free.

Good point. But I'm not sure it applies to most of the stuff in a goody bag. Kellogs/Nestle/Evian etc wouldn't be sponsoring many races here, so their products are being paid for by someone who would otherwise be investing in the actual event. Even for gimmicks with company names printed on them - how much would a race organiser expect to get from the company to include those products in a goody bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I do a good few races that are only €5 with loads of team and cake after, That does the job for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

If you're paying a hefty entry fee for a prestige race, then a good tech T is great, with the event logo on it. I *HATE* race T's that cover themselves in advertising logos- Dublin Marathon's got a great long-sleeved tech top, with a nice "Finisher" design, but they cover the back of it with logos of about a dozen sponsors, which just cheapens it. It's a commemorative top for the event, not an advertising space!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

Another option is to do a "Michael O'Leary" on it, and just charge extra for the optional items, like the technical T, the race medal (I really don't need any more Dublin marathon medals), the goody bag even. That would help to keep the price down for people who don't want this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 theFinishLine

shels4ever wrote: »
    I do a good few races that are only €5 with loads of team and cake after, That does the job for me.

"team and cake after"? don't tell me that after race they eat one of the slower teams :D a mug of tea or coffee would be more down my street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

plodder wrote: »
    Another option is to do a "Michael O'Leary" on it, and just charge extra for the optional items, like the technical T, the race medal (I really don't need any more Dublin marathon medals), the goody bag even. That would help to keep the price down for people who don't want this stuff.

I agree with this idea, but practially, it may be a huge overhead. How will you determine those finishers who didn't paid for a medal and then want one once they are finished, or those who didn't want a medal when they registered, but do once they are finished?

Perhaps having two levels of entry- one for entry only, and one for entry plus goody bag (with t-shirt, drink bottle, energy gels or whatever).

I think the Amsterdam marathon do something whereby the half marathoner pay the half entry fee of €22, and for €20 extra (or similar) you get the technical t-shirt that the full marathoners get for the full entry fee (around €55).

This isn't practical for some races, but in ones such as the connemarathon, it would be fairly easy to implement, with its multiple events on the same day.

Any organisers with any opnions out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i like a good t-shirt and if its a priecy event it needs to be a technical one. I like them to remind me of the actual race. I've loads that i use training and can always do with more.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

A technical tee is the zenith but like Woddle said earlier the lucozade sport, banana & bar in Dunboyne last night takes some beating. Did anyone ever get a feedback form in your goodie bag?

• Advertisement

If you're paying a hefty entry fee for a prestige race, then a good tech T is great, with the event logo on it. I *HATE* race T's that cover themselves in advertising logos- Dublin Marathon's got a great long-sleeved tech top, with a nice "Finisher" design, but they cover the back of it with logos of about a dozen sponsors, which just cheapens it. It's a commemorative top for the event, not an advertising space!

Yes this is why I don't wear my Adidas race series t-shirts. I look like a bloody billboard wearing them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't mind the Adidas ones with the ads on the back actually. If that's what it takes to mean I have a good supply of good new t-shirts for running in then so be it. Just annoyed that I'm missing out on collecting this years set.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

A technical Tee is a must. God the Cork City Marathon one was a disgrace. HTF can you get away with that?

The Novartis 5K has a better Tee than that. Cork to Cobh is better.

I treasure the Tee more than the medal as I don't usually go out running with a medal around my neck. The marathon technical Tee IS the badge of honour. that is the reward for the miles.

In Rotterdam the entry was only about €35 -€50 and the Tee is top quality.

All the rest of the stuff is just 20 cent samples donated by reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

I really didn't need the hair gel down at Joey, good job on the haribos though, none of the tris Ive done since have either given goodie bags, or Ive been too late

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Personally i don't like the DCM 08 shirt.I prefer the adidas race series ones and preferably last yrs blue half marathon one followed by the white 5 miler from 2007.This yrs Great Ireland was ok but for the price it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

I agree with this idea, but practially, it may be a huge overhead. How will you determine those finishers who didn't paid for a medal and then want one once they are finished, or those who didn't want a medal when they registered, but do once they are finished?

Perhaps having two levels of entry- one for entry only, and one for entry plus goody bag (with t-shirt, drink bottle, energy gels or whatever).
    You could do something with the race numbers. Odd numbers for the cheap-skates (like me) who don't want the extras, and even numbers for the others. Or you could print something extra on the race numbers. I agree it would be a hassle though.

What I've found the most frustrating thing about the technical T-shirts, is I never get the right size.

Oh? Have they said anything more on that? Maybe all the tops are from the same supplier who's causing problems.

Athy said supplier problems were the issue.
    Kilcock said the jerseys were stuck in Pakistan. Mine was posted about two weeks ago I have been told but no sign of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Athy said supplier problems were the issue.
    Kilcock said the jerseys were stuck in Pakistan. Mine was posted about two weeks ago I have been told but no sign of it yet.

Still waiting on mine too.. better have the Skerries one on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ Maisie Wide Family

I always thought a decent wrist/sweat band would be a nice cheap, but useful item to get in one of those bags.
    Never seen them though. Perfect for merchandising, I would have thought!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

robinph wrote: »
    I don't mind the Adidas ones with the ads on the back actually. If that's what it takes to mean I have a good supply of good new t-shirts for running in then so be it.

But the entry fee is high enough to cover a commemorative tee? You should learn to fight the power, advertising is an insipid monster that is luring sonambulators into uniform logoland. Being forced to wear advertising all over a finishers shirt, when I went through the pain of suffering 26 miles, is the greatest injustice. Ever.;)
    RJC wrote: »
    In Rotterdam the entry was only about €35 -€50 and the Tee is top quality.

€32 entry for a great T, with a discreet logo of the main sponsor, and the apparel sponsor. Them Dutch lads know how to do things right.:D

Advertisement