Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All GMIT accommodation related stuff thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

City -> School

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah I remember queing in the Sq on a rainy Wednesday afternoon with a few hundred other souls for the accomadation list

No daft.ie back then I tell ya!

Gleann Rua in Renmore has lots of rental proporties and some lovely houses.
    The estate between GMIT and Flannerys is nice too, I forget the name

There are two close options for you

The student village across the road is convienant but run by sharks, you can kiss your deposit goodbye and they'll plunder it even if you were the perfect tenant

However, if you want to go with a student village Cuirt Na Rasai up in Ballybrit is nice, I stayed there a year
    It's a bit further away, handy cycle, or steady 20 minute walk
    Lovely flats and shops close by
    Used to walk through Castlepark every night and no bother, the place has a reputation it doesn't deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mr.boombastic

Have accepted my place already so may aswell get cracking sorting out accomodation!staying well away from student villages, house share with professionals or other mature students would be ideal!!
    Do you reckon its possible to arrange accomodation now with landlords for september, just presuming most would want to fill any vacant rooms immediately?

Apologies for the novicey questions & appreciate the tips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Welcome mb20064. Just going to merge this with the big thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ah I remember queing in the Sq on a rainy Wednesday afternoon with a few hundred other souls for the accomadation list

No daft.ie back then I tell ya!

Gleann Rua in Renmore has lots of rental proporties and some lovely houses.
    The estate between GMIT and Flannerys is nice too, I forget the name

There are two close options for you

The student village across the road is convienant but run by sharks, you can kiss your deposit goodbye and they'll plunder it even if you were the perfect tenant

However, if you want to go with a student village Cuirt Na Rasai up in Ballybrit is nice, I stayed there a year
    It's a bit further away, handy cycle, or steady 20 minute walk
    Lovely flats and shops close by
    Used to walk through Castlepark every night and no bother, the place has a reputation it doesn't deserve.
    Belmont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 pizza_saur_rex

I am a mature student (27) seeking accommodation as close to GMIT as possible (...lazy walker). Anyone know of any other mature students who are renting out a room, pm me please! THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mr.boombastic

Sorry to hijack your post pizza_saur_rex!!Also a mature student (27) returning to college in GMIT!Have been looking for accomodation last few weeks but based in kildare so still to get up to galway to view anywhere!anyone else looking for a lodger let me know...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

looking for a place myself up there, mature student too (27)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 red_poppy

Hey, Moving to Galway in September to start in GMIT. Looking for accommodation at the moment but am gearing more towards a house share rather than student accommodation as I'm 23 and there isn't much in the line of student accommodation that has interested me so far. Would like to get reasonably priced accommodation as close to college as possible but don't have a group to share with so if anyone is looking for flatmates pm me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 katmcf

Hi
    I am doing my work placement in Galway from the end of August to December out the GMIT direction and I can't get anywhere to take me cause its only for a few months.. Anyone have any suggestions or know anybody who might be on placement too and want to swop?? Im a mature student and very tidy :)
    Kat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gary85

Hey im a mature student 26 goin to GMIT looking for other students to rent a house with. Have found a place already 5 min walk away but the landlords looking for a minimum of 2 people to rent to so anyone interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 katmcf

Gary85 wrote: »
    Hey im a mature student 26 goin to GMIT looking for other students to rent a house with. Have found a place already 5 min walk away but the landlords looking for a minimum of 2 people to rent to so anyone interested?

Hey, Where is the house and what is the rent like? Id definatly be interested but it wud only be till dec

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Gary85 wrote: »

Sent ya a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭DaBomb

Hey my friend (Female) has a single room available near GMIT (5 minute walk) available if anyone is interested. It is €65 a week and this includes internet and bins. Its oil heated and has been newly insulated so shouldn't take too much! :) There are currently 3 girls in the house.

PM me if interested or you have any questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gd194

does anyone know the best place to stay around gmit? ranging between fun, location and security? :cool:

Keep all accommodation stuff in this thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Hi there, this will be my 1st year at GMIT and I have questions about accommodation. My friend and I are both going to college in Galway and we want to get an apartment or a house together, I'm going to GMIT and he is going to NUI, where would be the best place to look at.

Anyone who could help me could they please PM me.

Hi there, this will be my 1st year at GMIT and I have questions about accommodation. My friend and I are both going to college in Galway and we want to get an apartment or a house together, I'm going to GMIT and he is going to NUI, where would be the best place to look at.

Anyone who could help me could they please PM me.

Somewhere around College Road or maybe Bohermore. Not the shortest of walks but it's a good halfway point for both of ye.

Thanks for the reply,
    I think now I'm gonna go somewhere closer to GMIT on my own or with another mate of mine thats going to GMIT, what is peoples opinion on the cuirt na rasai accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

Anyone have any information/reviews on Tir Na GCapall ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 jasonadolan

Hello I dont know much about accommodation in Galway so was wondering where would the best place to get on campus GMIT accommodation??

And also looking to share so if someone else is looking for accommodation in Galway and wants to share as I dont know that much people in Galway , Private message me... :D

I'm a first year student and I'm most likely going to Tir na gCapall, it looks like a nice place on the website, but that's all I can tell you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EvanGlas7

i was looking at glasans website and it says u have to pay 1st payment before 31st of august and its around 2000 just wondering are you able to pay that monthly or do you have to pay it all in 1 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MaryGorm

Student house to rent. Five Minutes from GMIT. 3 bedroom Semi-detached, Two Bathrooms, Spacious kitchen/dining room, separate living room, Off road parking. House completely refurbished. Oil fired central heating. Beside shops. Rent €750 pm to include refuse charges.

EvanGlas7 wrote: »
    i was looking at glasans website and it says u have to pay 1st payment before 31st of august and its around 2000 just wondering are you able to pay that monthly or do you have to pay it all in 1 ?

I'm sure that if you ring them and ask they can give you three options

1.) Pay for the whole year before 31st August.

2.) Pay it in two installments (each semester) 1st payment probably needed to be payed before 31st August(1st semester) then the 2nd payment before the 2nd semester starts.

3.) you can pay monthly by standing order through your bank account.

These were the options given to me but i'm not going to Glasan, but i'm sure Glasan should give you these options too.

Hope this helps you :)

From now on if I have to move a thread because somebody didn't read the rules they'll be warned. Really annoying at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EvanGlas7

@csallmighty thanks i wanted to pay it monthly by standing order.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Glasan is the best for first years, most lively and right across the road from the college.

Cuirt na Rasai and Tir na gcapall are too far away from the college really, think its around a 30 minute walk so can be very annoying if your walking, there is a shuttle bus service now though which brings you right to the college so that would be a lot better.

Glasan is really the main spot, the other two would be quite and out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jasonadolan

Im a first year at GMIT and was wondering should I get accommodation in Tir na gcapall or Glasan?

I know that Tir na gcapall is a little far out from the college but theres a shuttle bus that runs to and from GMIT.
    Glasan is right beside GMIT but i heard that security there is very bad and theres often break ins etc.

So which would i be better of choosing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Im a first year at GMIT and was wondering should I get accommodation in Tir na gcapall or Glasan?

I know that Tir na gcapall is a little far out from the college but theres a shuttle bus that runs to and from GMIT.
    Glasan is right beside GMIT but i heard that security there is very bad and theres often break ins etc.

So which would i be better of choosing?

Glasan - If you want to fully enjoy the first year experience, its better for going out, more lively, always loads of people around and house partys every night. Don't no who's been telling you about the break ins but the two years I lived there I didn't have any trouble.

Tir na gCapall - If you want piece and quite, think it could be cheaper aswell. For me its too far away though, glasan is way handier.

Advertisement