Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning contributions - Extension in Co. Meath

• 21-02-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

OK so I realise there are some threads elsewhere about planning contributions but I have a specific query that hopefully someone has the answer to.

I was asked the question by a client with a small house in Meath. If applying for an extension will he be liable for planning contributions. I rang the council and asked the girl who answered this question and she told me that it was liable for contributions at the same rate as a new build. This was different than what I had thought it would be so I checked the Meath Co. council website. I found there the schedule of charges link here
    In the relevant section here (Meath County Council as opposed to any of the town councils) it states on page 15 under the section on residential development "House extensions shall be exempt."

All of which has left me looking for someone with a definitive view on this.
    Is a house extesion exempt from contributions in Meath or not?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OK so I realise there are some threads elsewhere about planning contributions but I have a specific query that hopefully someone has the answer to.

I was asked the question by a client with a small house in Meath. If applying for an extension will he be liable for planning contributions. I rang the council and asked the girl who answered this question and she told me that it was liable for contributions at the same rate as a new build. This was different than what I had thought it would be so I checked the Meath Co. council website. I found there the schedule of charges link here
    In the relevant section here (Meath County Council as opposed to any of the town councils) it states on page 15 under the section on residential development "House extensions shall be exempt."

The 1st 40msq is free after that the council can charge contributions.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BryanF wrote: »
    The 1st 40msq is free after that the council can charge contributions.

That would seem to go against their started policy in the document above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

In 2010 I obtained PP in Meath for a190m2 house extension . No contribution was attached to the permision.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

sinnerboy wrote: »
    In 2010 I obtained PP in Meath for a190m2 house extension . No contribution was attached to the permision.
    I havnt looked at the Meath contribution scheme yet, but Even if it is applied and may be incorrect you can appeal that condition only to an bord pleanala for a smallish fee. The whole application won't be reassed.
    I've saved people near 1 million euro over the years in such cases, mainly bigger developments, but a few small ones like yours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sydthebeat wrote: »

That would seem to go against their started policy in the document above?
    I hadn't looked at it. The 1st 40m2 free ( presmuably related to exemptt area) that's the way it is down south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The problem that the public face when ringing their local planning office is that the phone is answered by admin staff who would be familiar with the various regs and schemes but only in a general sense. I recall a case here locally where a guy went to the planning office and asked if he needed permission to build an extension to the rear of his house and he was told by "the girl at the counter" that he could build up to 40 sq. m without planning.

So in good faith he carried on and built his 2 storey extension to the rear of his mid-terrace house - 20m2 down and 20m2 up with one wall on the boundary and 2 windows in that wall upstairs :eek:

So to answer your query OP always go by the written documentation and not by what someone told you over the phone.

The domestic extensions are exempt in your case just as they are here in Donegal.

BryanF wrote: »
    I hadn't looked at it. The 1st 40m2 free ( presmuably related to exemptt area) that's the way it is down south
    Devp. contributions for domestic extensions appear to vary from Council to Council. Some charge, some dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Thanks for the assistance. I explained to client that to the best of my knowledge extensions are exempt. At the same time there is the nagging thought in the back of my mind that maybe in 6 or 7 months time I could be making an awkward phone call to explain how the council are actually trying to get a contribution!!

Thanks for the assistance. I explained to client that to the best of my knowledge extensions are exempt. At the same time there is the nagging thought in the back of my mind that maybe in 6 or 7 months time I could be making an awkward phone call to explain how the council are actually trying to get a contribution!!
    Councils are notorious for changing things at the drop of a hat regardless of whether it breaks regs or not. If you're worried in any way there are several ways to cover your ass.

Set the client down in front of the PC and show him the details on the website.
    Email him a link to the development charges
    Print it off and and give him a copy.
    Email the planning office by way of a general query and ask for confirmation.

Advertisement