Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview segment on Ear To The Ground.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

I also heard that the independant filmcrew were told that you were a member of one of the 3 recognised bodies,

P.S. have you got any sky cards going ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

watty wrote: »
    Door to Door should be banned.
    agree watty but many are desperate.

[*]It makes crime easier (Distraction Theft)
    [*]It exploits the Door to Door salespeople. They do it a short while and give up as you have to lie to make the sales to get adequate commission. Huge turn-over in "staff". The sales per person on average simply isn't there to pay a sensible salary, so they always offer attractive sounding commission.
    [*]It exploits the vulnerable. Less vulnerable people will rarely ever buy off a Door to Door person.
    agree with all of that but pity the honest people trying to earn a crust.

Direct phone selling should be illegal too
    i don't know if direct phone selling is illegal but at least with Eircom(don't know other providers rules) by ringing 1901 you can have yourself removed from cold calling.
    it's only bloody Irish tv,which for the most part is rubbish no matter how good the picture is.

Is it really zerks?surprising that the ratings do not show that so:confused:

terrible video full of flaws as people have pointed out.

i have in the past got annoyed at the assumption that old people are too out of touch to understand or embrace saorview,seems some people of all ages are prone to it though.

i wonder is it too late now for RTE/nl to educate community groups,meals on wheels etc to carry around a saorview box to check out peoples aerials and tell them if they will need a new aerial or not?

even being able to tell them that if they have a good picture from their UHF aerial should be enough to stop them being fooled by any cowboys and reassure them that they will only need a new box for ASO.

is that too sensible too for those responsible for educating the mass's about something that is quite easy to understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Extinction wrote: »
    Why didn't you use the relevant health and safety equipment required for working at heights?

How does one become 'more than qualified to install aerials'? That sounds to me as if you think aerial riggers are somehow below your standards. Can I point out that an experienced aerial rigger would never have appeared on the show without the health and safety equipment required, you had none of these, fall arrest kit, safety helmet, eye protection, ear protection, you were missing the basics required by law for your profession but you say you are more than qualified. The requirements for me, a lowly aerial installer, also apply to you who is more than qualified. You can have as much insurance as you want but any insurance company will look for reasons not to pay out if you had an accident and had you fallen from the ladder in those circumstances they would not have paid a single cent.

The way you went about your job on the show was an insult to installers who are knowledgeable about all aspects of their job, not just the aspects of fitting an aerial. There is a lot more to our job than you seem to realise.

I'd also ask as scaller did, why have you got saorview logos on your website when it is not permitted for an installer to use them? Are you not also aware that part of your job is to be aware of the codes of practice regarding logo usage? Or do you feel that being 'more than qualified' makes you exempt from this too?

timesnap wrote: »
    agree watty but many are desperate.

agree with all of that but pity the honest people trying to earn a crust.

i don't know if direct phone selling is illegal but at least with Eircom(don't know other providers rules) by ringing 1901 you can have yourself removed from cold calling.

Is it really zerks?surprising that the ratings do not show that so:confused:

terrible video full of flaws as people have pointed out.

i have in the past got annoyed at the assumption that old people are too out of touch to understand or embrace saorview,seems some people of all ages are prone to it though.

i wonder is it too late now for RTE/nl to educate community groups,meals on wheels etc to carry around a saorview box to check out peoples aerials and tell them if they will need a new aerial or not?

even being able to tell them that if they have a good picture from their UHF aerial should be enough to stop them being fooled by any cowboys and reassure them that they will only need a new box for ASO.

is that too sensible too for those responsible for educating the mass's about something that is quite easy to understand?

RTE have a fool proof plan Timesnap, they've told the GAA all about Saorview, everything will be just fine now that football and hurling players are going installing Saorview :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

RTE have a fool proof plan Timesnap, they've told the GAA all about Saorview, everything will be just fine now that football and hurling players are going installing Saorview :D:D

Ye gads sure most of them cannot direct a ball between two wide bars or kick a small ball into a hugh net,how on earth could they point an aerial at a mountain?:pac::)

• Advertisement

scaller wrote: »
    What id like to know is why you have the saorview logo on your website and the saorview name on your van. when RTE/saorview says that installers are not permitted to do this.
    Do you know If you were a registered/recognised installer with any of the 3 trade bodies you would have permission to use a combined logo.

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/installers/

I will have to Edit my post now to say What id like to know is why DID you have the saorview logo on your website up till 11pm tonight and now its been removed.

Still has the RTE channel logos though, I was told by Saorview that they are copyright of RTE and we installers cant use them either.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Still has the RTE channel logos though, I was told by Saorview that they are copyright of RTE and we installers cant use them either.

RTE/Saorview Should contact this company and ask them to remove the RTE channels logos from their map of Installers site. http://www.saortvinstallers.ie/index.html

RTE/Saorview Should contact this company and ask them to remove the RTE channels logos from their map of Installers site.

I think it would be better if RTE Saorview admitted that they are unable to police their logo and allow all installers to use their logo, at least that way we who are playing by the rules could advertise our services properly, the limitations on us regarding the use of the saorview logo is making it impossible to compete with those who are not following the terms and conditions of logo use. It would then be up to the customer to choose if they want an installer who is registered or one who is not. By giving us a level playing field we could compete for business properly and fairly instead of being wiped out by those who are doing whatever they want and getting away with it so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

damo42 wrote: »
    Quote From the installer on Ear To The Ground

I didn't forget the cable! this piece was shot to show people that it wasn't a big deal to have an aerial mounted on their house.

it was used as a demonstration ! and not as an installers training Video !

The aerial and bracket were removed from the house, as were the 3 existing aerials!! and the house holder was left with a new aerial on a loft bracket in his attic! and saorview working on his 4 tv's without the need to run any cables around his house ! The house holder agreed to let me put an aerial and bracket on the wall of his house,for the demonstration as requested by the film crew.
    A demonstration of how not to do it! Any oul gob****e can hang out of a ladder & throw up an aerial.Your "demonstration" showed unsuspecting people that it appears to be okay to climb a ladder without any regard to health & safety just hang your hammer & bracket on the ladder while climbing up drill with no safety glasses ,hard hat or mask. Sure if your insured it doesn't matter,famous last words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

homelink wrote: »
    Your "demonstration" showed unsuspecting people that it appears to be okay to climb a ladder without any regard to health & safety just hang your hammer & bracket on the ladder while climbing up drill with no safety glasses ,hard hat or mask.
    I'm not sure many installers would use a hard hat, goggles and mask to climb 8 or 9 steps of a ladder to drill 4 holes in a wall. Seems like a bit of overkill to me.

• Advertisement

cast_iron wrote: »
    I'm not sure many installers would use a hard hat, goggles and mask to climb 8 or 9 steps of a ladder to drill 4 holes in a wall. Seems like a bit of overkill to me.

on public Television in a HSA sponsered program ?

from the HSA

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Construction/Using_Ladders_Safely_-_Information_Sheet.pdf

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Retail/Gen_Apps_Work_at_Height.pdf

A show that's sponsored by the HSA, And RTE use a Unregistered installer who is/was using the Saorview and RTE channel logos on his website and in this show he has no safety gear at all on him. How could this guy attempt to drill holes in masonry with out Eye protection. Or how could he attempt to climb a ladder without having first secured the ladder. No hard hat or steel toe capped boots on him either.

Saorview wants to work with the local installer

Yeah Right

Well Saorview its 11 months later

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

In fairness, the guy in Irwin's made the point (though many people may have a different type of UHF aerial to the one he showed).
    that point was made. The point was made simply too - ie. if you have a UHF aerial, then you didn't need a new aerial.

It wasn't supposed to be an education lesson on aerials and rogue installers. The putting up of an aerial also did a good job in simply relaying what an installer should be putting up.

How was the point simply made? Michael Irwin has one aerial in each hand, a "old VHF style aerial" and a "new UHF style aerial" and states clearly that if you look up at your chimney, and see this old VHF style aerial, you need to call out your local TV installer, and he'll install the new UHF style aerial.

Is this not utter nonsense? What has a VHF aerial got to do with anything???? Is this type of aerial not for VHF FM radio? Are all transmitters not using UHF for TV channels?
    What am I missing here?

He goes on to suggest that if your remote says "DTV", then the TV should be ok to receive Saorview.
    Very, very few remote controls say "DTV", and a more likely reference on the remote would be "Guide" or "EPG". Even if it does say any of these, it's possibly only an MPEG2 tuner.

And how utterly stupid to illustrate the installation of a new aerial, with a chimney full of aerial's in the background....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A show that's sponsored by the HSA, And RTE use a Unregistered installer in the show who has no safety gear at all on him. How could this guy attempt to drill holes in Masonry with out Eye protection. Or how could he attempt to climb a ladder without having first secured the ladder. No hard hat or steel toe capped boots either.

I've spent years in construction and you can't piss now for some kind of HSA regulation,the basic gear and safe practice were ignored in the segment,also this show is aimed at farmers where H & S is a big thing with the amount of accidents in the agricultural sector.The least the installer could have done was wear the right gear for the job just to show a good example.

This guy was a H & S instructor and didn't use the proper gear on camera......look what happened.

Any guy who climbs a ladder for a living should at least have 1 of these in their van

solutionStopper.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

mickko wrote: »
    How was the point simply made? Michael Irwin has one aerial in each hand, a "old VHF style aerial" and a "new UHF style aerial" and states clearly that if you look up at your chimney, and see this old VHF style aerial, you need to call out your local TV installer, and he'll install the new UHF style aerial.

Is this not utter nonsense? What has a VHF aerial got to do with anything???? Is this type of aerial not for VHF FM radio? Are all transmitters not using UHF for TV channels?
    What am I missing here?

He goes on to suggest that if your remote says "DTV", then the TV should be ok to receive Saorview.
    Very, very few remote controls say "DTV", and a more likely reference on the remote would be "Guide" or "EPG". Even if it does say any of these, it's possibly only an MPEG2 tuner.

And how utterly stupid to illustrate the installation of a new aerial, with a chimney full of aerial's in the background....

Got it! RTE1 and 2 in VHF from Mount Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 limerick.

i like it where can i get one of them and how much!

limerick. wrote: »
    i like it where can i get one of them and how much!

You can get them here http://www.ladders.ie/stabilising.html

Its called a Rojak plate, I prefer a different piece of equipment called a ladder mate

http://www.valentineladders.ie/accessories.php

Overkill?????

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/man-falls-to-death-while-installing-tv-antenna-in-gladstone-park/story-e6frf7jo-1225795188418

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2011/coi-ldn-1512.htm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2009/e09079.htm

a freind of mine who owns a prominent installation company, fell from 2 rungs up,
    badly dislocated his shoulder.

and had to sub his work out for 7 months, and he was HSE compliant,
    even the safety equip did not save him,

so if you fall from a hieght, its over.

USE THE SAFETY GEAR !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 limerick.

You can get them here http://www.ladders.ie/stabilising.html

Its called a Rojak plate, I prefer a different piece of equipment called a ladder mate

http://www.valentineladders.ie/accessories.php

Thanks , ya i have a ladder mate but i thought the mat would be handier , would it be as good.

Limerick. The Rojak ladder stop is a Brilliant device to have. I have 1 for about 5 years now and I couldn't fault 1 bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Limerick. The Rojak ladder stop is a Brilliant device to have. I have 1 for about 5 years now and I couldn't fault 1 bit.

I've seen ladder supports on sale in petrol stations & co-ops nationwide,pretty cheap and no excuse not to have one.Better than lying in a heap injured or dead after a fall.

But in tv land they're not needed,I think that install was all done by cgi so no humans were in danger:rolleyes:

a freind of mine who owns a prominent installation company, fell from 2 rungs up,
    badly dislocated his shoulder.
    You kind of made my point for me. I also know someone who fell from 2 rungs of a 6 foot A frame ladder and broke his arm.
    No amount of safety gear in either of these cases would have been any use. Sometimes there really isn't alot you can do. And any amount of safety gear while up 2 rungs can only be overkill for that very reason.

You kind of made my point for me. I also know someone who fell from 2 rungs of a 6 foot A frame ladder and broke his arm.
    No amount of safety gear in either of these cases would have been any use. Sometimes there really isn't alot you can do. And any amount of safety gear while up 2 rungs can only be overkill for that very reason.

yer man on the TV was more than 2 rungs up with zero safety equip,
    he did not even manage to maintain 3 points of contact while up there

if he had of managed to fall, damage his eyesight, etc, on a HSA sponsered program there would be some red faces.

yer man on the TV was more than 2 rungs up with zero safety equip,
    he did not even manage to maintain 3 points of contact while up there

if he had of managed to fall, damage his eyesight, etc, on a HSA sponsered program there would be some red faces.
    I agree it was not exactly a great showing of health and safety. Especially with it being filmed for tv. I'm sticking to my point about some of it being overkill though.

I agree it was not exactly a great showing of health and safety. Especially with it being filmed for tv. I'm sticking to my point about some of it being overkill though.

Which points raised in this thread regarding the lack of health and safety equipment used by the installer on the show do you think are overkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

How is equipment that can save your eyesight,lungs or indeed your life overkill. Why would anyone just go up 2 rungs of a ladder unless they are on route to a higher position.Nobody has said that using the correct equipment such as fall arrest & PPE will fully protect you from injury but it is certainly not overkill.
    Why not talk to a consultant surgeon & see if they agree with you . You either have no experience of ladder work or you are very lucky, but I have known colleagues that have been seriously injured from falls & others that have received permanent eye damage from not using a pair of cheap & readily available safety glasses.

And any amount of safety gear while up 2 rungs can only be overkill for that very reason.

no one gets a ladder out to work 2 rungs up, usually a ladder is used for higher work where the 2m rule applies.

anyone falling from 2 rungs up whilst ascending from a greater a hieght wearing safety gear or not, is an accident, but anyone working above 2m (serious risk of injury or death hieght) on a ladder should be wearing and using saftey equipment, especially on a HSA sponsered TV show.

• Advertisement

no one gets a ladder out to work 2 rungs up, usually a ladder is used for higher work where the 2m rule applies.

anyone falling from 2 rungs up whilst ascending from a greater a hieght wearing safety gear or not, is an accident, but anyone working above 2m (serious risk of injury or death hieght) on a ladder should be wearing and using saftey equipment, especially on a HSA sponsered TV show.

It also wasn't a personal choice for the installer to use health and safety equipment, there are regulations as in the post above regarding the 2 meter rule. You cant just choose to ignore health and safety laws because you think its overkill.

Advertisement