Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I give way to car reversing from parking space?

• 26-07-2011 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

If I am driving on industrial estate road and somebody is reversing from parking space and after seeing my car approaching is not stopping, but proceeding to reverse - should I stop and give way or beep to warn?
    I was arguing with my friend today about that after something like this happen.
    May I have your advice please?
    In general I am giving way, letting people go first etc, but that was different - woman in that car saw my car coming and she did not stop and that's why I beeped to let her know I am not stopping, there was also car driving behind me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

As a rule the reversing car should give way to traffic already on the road as that has the right of.

If the drivers visibility is hindered (eg in a van) they might be chancing their arm and waiting on the good of the passing cars to stop and let him\her out.

If the vehicle is blocking your lane though you will have to slow and stop if necessary so you don't drift or move out in to the oncoming one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Its a very quiet street and she could see everything clearly, so in that case have I done the right think or was it rude (like according to my friend)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Technically, you have right of way, but be careful (especially in car parks, there can be some seriously poor driving in carparks) - those that choose to drive straight into a space (not as safe as reversing) sometimes can't see what's coming on the 'road' unless they reverse out a bit, so anticipate that a car will reverse out regardless of whether you are there or not until they see you.

Sometimes letting a car out is good manners - it is an unsafe manouever (it's much safer to reverse in and drive straight out), and also once you let them out you can then take their parking space if you wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

softmee wrote: »
    Its a very quiet street and she could see everything clearly, so in that case have I done the right think or was it rude (like according to my friend)?

It could be the magic of L-plates :) (if you display them). Some people are just arrogant and rude to learner drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

If it was a test I'm guessing beeping and proceeding would be a mark against you under reaction to hazards.

Just because you have right of way doesnt mean you should keep going when someone else decides to be a prick

• Advertisement

If it was a test I'm guessing beeping and proceeding would be a mark against you under reaction to hazards.

Just because you have right of way doesnt mean you should keep going when someone else decides to be a prick

Well, I slowed downed of course, but why she continued to reverse when she saw me clearly? I would have stopped but there was a car close to me behind and that's why my reaction was to beep and drive..
    -I am not saying I did the right think, just dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

If I was reversing and I thought I wouldn't make it out in time and be gone by the time an oncoming car reached me I would definitely stop reversing. However I think the vast majority of people (male and female!) would just keep reversing and assume you will stop and wait for them. This is my experience anyway. Were you rude to beep, not sure. I wouldn't usually beeb if I saw them in good time but if someone started reversing out without even looking and were almost causing a collision I would certainly beep. Otherwise I would try to be courteous and let them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Technically, you have right of way, but be careful (especially in car parks, there can be some seriously poor driving in carparks) - those that choose to drive straight into a space (not as safe as reversing) sometimes can't see what's coming on the 'road' unless they reverse out a bit, so anticipate that a car will reverse out regardless of whether you are there or not until they see you.

Sometimes letting a car out is good manners - it is an unsafe manouever (it's much safer to reverse in and drive straight out), and also once you let them out you can then take their parking space if you wish!

Not always true.... In the herringbone parking in Liffey Valley Driving out of a space means you are having to change direction approx 135 degrees to not be going against the flow of traffic. There is a one way system in operation there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mary28 wrote: »
    If I was reversing and I thought I wouldn't make it out in time and be gone by the time an oncoming car reached me I would definitely stop reversing. However I think the vast majority of people (male and female!) would just keep reversing and assume you will stop and wait for them. This is my experience anyway. Were you rude to beep, not sure. I wouldn't usually beeb if I saw them in good time but if someone started reversing out without even looking and were almost causing a collision I would certainly beep. Otherwise I would try to be courteous and let them out.

This is what causes accidents.

The OP has right of way over a car joining the throughway from a minor area - in this case from a parking space. There is no requirement for the OP to yield. It might, however be wise to do so, but a blast of the horn to warn the other is perfectly suitable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

gatecrash wrote: »
    Not always true.... In the herringbone parking in Liffey Valley Driving out of a space means you are having to change direction approx 135 degrees to not be going against the flow of traffic. There is a one way system in operation there.

Diagonal parking is different. The design of herringbone car parks are to make the process of parking quicker. Usually these spaces are at 45 degrees, so (as you say) its much safer to drive straight in, and reverse out. But because of the angle of the parking spaces combined with the one way systems, it's easier to see when you are reversing back, so it's not all that "dangerous" (although there is a danger element to all reversing, be very alert for things like children in car parks).

I don't personally like those 45 degree spaces because you lose 2 spaces in each row, and it's harder to see at a glance where the free spaces are.

But again, use common sense. I know that reversing into a car parking space is nearly always safer with typical 90 degree spaces, but if I was going grocery shopping, it's also hugely inconvenient in terms of loading the boot - so sometimes I'd just drive straight in, and make sure to be extremely vigilant while reversing out!

• Advertisement

I still don't know what would be the best think to do on driving test. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dweezel

In the Driving Test, I would definately slow down, prepare to stop and let the driver continue to reverse especially if they do not look like they are stopping. If they continued to drive out in front of you and you had to brake suddenly, you would definately get a grade 2 fault.
    You should let you driving tester see that you can react efficiently to unexpected hazards.
    Something similiar enough happened in my test!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I still don't know what would be the best think to do on driving test. :(
    Err on the side of caution.

As a general rule, it's best to assume that all other drivers will always take the stupidest possible course of action. That means that all the surprises will be good ones.

Dweezel wrote: »
    In the Driving Test, I would definately slow down, prepare to stop and let the driver continue to reverse especially if they do not look like they are stopping. If they continued to drive out in front of you and you had to brake suddenly, you would definately get a grade 2 fault.
    You should let you driving tester see that you can react efficiently to unexpected hazards.
    Something similiar enough happened in my test!!

Thanks, I am just not sure if slowing down and beeping wouldnt be enough? But yes, I guess no harm to stop in situation like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I beeped to let her know I am not stopping
    Yeah, that would go down well with the guard who's called out. 'Of course its her fault; I saw here reversing into my path, so I beeped and rammed her car'.

As a general rule of survival its best to avoid running into other cars, even if you do have right of way.

Gurgle wrote: »
    Yeah, that would go down well with the guard who's called out. 'Of course its her fault; I saw here reversing into my path, so I beeped and rammed her car'.

As a general rule of survival its best to avoid running into other cars, even if you do have right of way.

Mark you, she moved a bit - looked at me and continued to reverse. It was a bit annoying. :( Hence my reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Mmmm...always presume a reversing car has not seen you.

So, in your situation, although you did have right of way, I would have come to a full halt until I had made eye contact with the other driver and there was no ambiguity about who was going to go on.

And yes a toot of the horn to get her to look around was not inappropriate.

On another note, this is why people should reverse into parking spaces like proper drivers - much better to do the reverse on the way in than on the way out. I never understand why people opt to reverse out because they lack confidence performing a reverse - you're making your life 10 times harder and greatly increasing the chances of an accident.

Reloc8 wrote: »
    I would have come to a full halt until I had made eye contact with the other driver .

-as I mentioned before, I made eye contact with that driver -100% and she saw me coming. no idea why she decided to continue to reverse, she definately saw me.

Advertisement