Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I have to say, The Flutt was right some months back when predicted that Murray's auld Dubbelin drawl would get on one's wick. It's gettin on mine. That and his unfunny comedy n'clips schtick at the top of the show has me heading towards Ivan Yeats and his clever boy servant (Chris I think) on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭tampopo

No, I like it.

Missed all of September, so he's got into his swing a bit now. Thankfully Tubs and JFK is gone!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I have to say, The Flutt was right some months back when predicted that Murray's auld Dubbelin drawl would get on one's wick. It's gettin on mine. That and his unfunny comedy n'clips schtick at the top of the show has me heading towards Ivan Yeats and his clever boy servant (Chris I think) on Newstalk.

Don't say I didn't tell you, :Gave it a bit of a go for the first week,and couldn't take any more of Dubbelin John shouting down the mike.

NT between 09 and 10 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I started listening to Tubs on 2FM, but have changed in the last week or so to John Murray - I am sick of Tubs and his tweeting and G1 & G2 talk! John Murray is definitely less annoying and has some interesting guests & topics. And I kinda like his jokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Hippo

I've been really disappointed with Murray. I liked him on Morning Ireland and the business show, but this is just lightweight, unfunny rubbish. He can do a lot better, but he's not at all suited to this role imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I've reserved judgement until now, and I hate to say it but I have to agree. I genuinely thought that Murray would be good on the show, but he sounds uncomfortable, and unable to connect with some of the guests. At times it just sounds awkward, like this morning when he was talking to the Op Trans people. It's like he's trying to draw out the interview, and it doesn't sound natural in any way. It's all a bit dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

tampopo wrote: »
    No, I like it.

Missed all of September, so he's got into his swing a bit now. Thankfully Tubs and JFK is gone!!!!

i like his show too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah possibly, although I've always thought that the hour was to give the PK Show researchers time to get reaction to the days news events. I'd prefer an hour of light music and chat with one presenter, all that talk from 7am till 12 noon is heavy going. I don't get the "lets have an hour of giddy talk radio from 9 to 10am" thing, who's idea was that? Who ever it is they need to realise it's not working.

Oracle wrote: »
    Yeah possibly, although I've always thought that the hour was to give the PK Show researchers time to get reaction to the days news events. I'd prefer an hour of light music and chat with one presenter, all that talk from 7am till 12 noon is heavy going. I don't get the "lets have an hour of giddy talk radio from 9 to 10am" thing, who's idea was that? Who ever it is they need to realise it's not working.

No it's not working because Murray is the wrong person for the job.

MI get the plugs in early and Murray himself comes on just before the news, that is something that Tubs never had to do.

NT have stolen a march with the extension to 1000 of Ivan and the other geezer.

Murray should stop shouting at the mic. and speak normally.

Doesn't hack it, total failure imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I have to say I find the "funny" bits at the top of the show absolutely unfunny 90% of the time. John himself is ok but he was definitely more suited to the business end of Morning Ireland

Kalimah wrote: »
    I have to say I find the "funny" bits at the top of the show absolutely unfunny 90% of the time. John himself is ok but he was definitely more suited to the business end of Morning Ireland

The only reason Murray got that slot was to give Seoirse Lee the Saturday business slot.

Murray's Doob accent burns the fcuking bollix off me, but he is not suited to that programme.

Everybody but RTE realises that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

His humour reminds me of a father trying to crack jokes with his teenage son and friends.. Disappointed in John, thought the show would be a lot better... still far better than Tubridy, but even Kathryn Thomas was better when she stood in while Tubridy was moonlighting..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Kalimah wrote: »

I agree. He is better suited to a more serious show. Although as I've said, I think that kind of giddy show, in that time slot, is a mistake. Forced giddiness, especially at that hour, is really irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

His humour reminds me of a father trying to crack jokes with his teenage son and friends.. Disappointed in John, thought the show would be a lot better... still far better than Tubridy, but even Kathryn Thomas was better when she stood in while Tubridy was moonlighting..
    +1
    Its pretty cringeworthy alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Murray got shafted from his Saturday slot to give George Lee something to do on a Saturday.
    Katherine Thomas got shafted to give Murray something to do.

George Lee should never have got that slot - he's a lame duck, he has to dodge any topic that is too critical of the government/Fianna Fail.

I thought Murray was suited to his Saturday morning slot - and Katherine Thomas was doing grand with the light-hearted stuff between Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny.

RTE cocked up by giving George that slot - they are not really sure what they can do with him. Perhaps when Fine Gael are in power it will be ok for him to criticise the government again ??!

Anyone still listening to RTE1 between 09 and 10?

Total rubbish in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭telekon

Nope. havent since gaybo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Unfortunately there's nothing better on anywhere else at that time, imo.

Cole wrote: »
    Unfortunately there's nothing better on anywhere else at that time, imo.

Newstalk between 09 and 10 is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Each to their own but I find Ivan Yates straight talking, politically incorrect persona contrived. I used to listen but he just irritates me now.

Cole wrote: »
    Each to their own but I find Ivan Yates straight talking, politically incorrect persona contrived. I used to listen but he just irritates me now.

Yes,I could see you have something there.

Small doses, I would suggest, like most NT personae.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Nope and I would've been one to be looking forward to seeing how he'd crack on in the slot. But I seldom tuned in after the 1st week. It's not that the programme annoys me, it doesn't. But it hasn't attracted me at all at all. I don't avoid the programme, I just don't bother.

Not sure if it's the production, pitch or presentation of the show that's failing, probably an unhealthy mix of the three. Either way, the sum of its parts appears to limply fall between the two stools Engagement and Ennui.

Pity really...fairly big hole between 9 and 10. The extra blob of news that Newstalk offer at that time is a good idea and works well but it's not my cuppa at that hour. Fact is I've become institutionalised over the years and need my lighter medication at that time. Nurse!!

humberklog wrote: »
    Nope and I would've been one to be looking forward to seeing how he'd crack on in the slot. But I seldom tuned in after the 1st week. It's not that the programme annoys me, it doesn't. But it hasn't attracted me at all at all. I don't avoid the programme, I just don't bother.

Not sure if it's the production, pitch or presentation of the show that's failing, probably an unhealthy mix of the three. Either way, the sum of its parts appears to limply fall between the two stools Engagement and Ennui.

Pity really...fairly big hole between 9 and 10. The extra blob of news that Newstalk offer at that time is a good idea and works well but it's not my cuppa at that hour. Fact is I've become institutionalised over the years and need my lighter medication at that time. Nurse!!

That sums it up well, just doesn't seem to connect.

Murray's delivery is very straining at a time when we need to relax.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That sums it up well, just doesn't seem to connect.

Murray's delivery is very straining at a time when we need to relax.

His delivery gets more annoying with each week. What with being a north inner city Dub myself I'd have a fairly good ear for imposters and Murray puts on a lot of the "ol' shegotia". 'Tis a pity that one of the few flat accents on RTE feels the need to ham it down a touch and exaggerate it.

You got it pretty spot on at the beginning of thread FB. Mystic Bantam;).

Desert Islands Discs this morning is it?

That "interview" with Daisy Gogarty was cringeworthy.. similar to the "interview" he did with Obama for the promo... What is it about RTE, do people lose all sense of humour when they walk through the doors or something... John was good on the business show and he was good when he filled in for Rachel (sorry, I mean Marian) on The Marian Finucane Show earlier this year.. But he is trying to be funny all the time on this show. It seems like every question is asked in a jocose manner..

Do it straight, cut out the humour, or gtfo John Murray..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i listen to it sometimes but i dont warm to the presenter. the "funny" few intro bits at the start of the show are not funny and should be cut like yesterday. i just dont warm to this guy. kathryn thomas was brilliant filling in for tubbs i thought before.

Shane10 wrote: »
    i just dont warm to this guy. kathryn thomas was brilliant filling in for tubbs i thought before.

+1 I dont like her on the telly, but she was waaaaay better than both Tubridy and John Murray when she was filled in.. she's seems to have a natural talent for it.. and she's a real person..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Was anyone else listening to that guitar intro that girl was playing, and expecting Hotel California???

:confused:

Advertisement