Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for the Hayfever Sufferers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Amazingly I havent had to use any medication so far this year and i've moved to the countryside!!
    Maybe the traffic fumes in the Dublin suburbs made my symptoms worse or something, am very suprised to be honest.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

Get honey from your local area, and have a tablespoon a day in your cereal,smoothie, coffee etc. i know a girl who started this treatment and now she is rocking in the hayfever season,no symptoms at all.
    she started doing it last year and swears by it. worth a try as honey is less than €3 a jar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Have you tried using Sap sheets?

http://www.kenrico.com/sapsheet.html

They're fantastic! My other half has hay fever but using these last few weeks and no sniffles yet this year.

Put one sheet on the underside of the toes to detox sinuses) on each foot every night or every few nights.

Kenrico (Japanese company) make the best ones (get the gold ones TRMX2) and they're sold all over the world under different brands (but will say manufactured by Kenrico). They'll cost you a fortune if you buy them in health food shop in Ireland (E36 for a pack of 14 in under the name Crystal something), but you can order them in batches from America for 100 sheets for approximately E62 including the delivery, (I did that and they arrived a week later). The company was called Health Marvels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Longfield wrote:
    Amazingly I havent had to use any medication so far this year and i've moved to the countryside!!
    Maybe the traffic fumes in the Dublin suburbs made my symptoms worse or something, am very suprised to be honest.

My other half would get symptoms when walking anywhere near Guinness brewery. The smell of the hops would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Even though Clarityn is marketed as one a day you can take one every 10 to 12 hours if you find that one isn't enough, and as the pollen count tends to be highest in the evening if you take one at 7am and one at 7pm that should sort you out.

You can take Beconase or Flixonase Nasal spray in conjunction with an anti-histamine, four sprays in the morning and four at night and you're sorted! But it's more preventative than anything else so it may take a while to build up even though I found it worked instantly for me.

Also when you come home at the end of the day (especially if you've been outside a lot) change out of your clothes and wash them, you'll have pollen spores in your clothes that can get into the air in your house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭TheJoker

Believe me when I say this....

Having an auld "tommy tank" can get rid of the symptoms for a few hours.

This is not a joke....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Longfield wrote:
    My hayfever only got really bad when I moved into the city centre for college. You tend to be constantly exposed living in the country, whereas in the city, there's no pollen for ages, and then all of a sudden in April/May, you're bombarded. Makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Eat local honey to build up your immune system to the pollen.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Piste wrote:
    Even though Clarityn is marketed as one a day you can take one every 10 to 12 hours if you find that one isn't enough, and as the pollen count tends to be highest in the evening if you take one at 7am and one at 7pm that should sort you out.
    Be careful with exceeding stated dosagesa nd only do so under medical supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Does anyone use eye drops - if so which ones? I use Otrivine and they burn my eyes out for about 5 mins after taking thm :( My doc prescribed me Nasonex and it works treat but I still have to use eye drops sometimes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

hey, i heard that if you take "mixed pollen" as a homeopathic remedy it should build your immunity against pollen. now, they do warn it's meant to get worse before better. i started taking them about 2 months ago, but i found it was causing me to sneeze after taking it most of the time :D it being exam season in college i thought i'd stop trying, but has anyone had any success with the homeopathic remedy???

i don't really like taking tablets for the hayfever, so on bad days i try to shower if i've been outside and the pollen is high, and to change my clothes. strangely enough, i find that eating yoghurt always soothed the symptoms.

i'm intrigued about the honey, but being a vegan i can't try it. on the plus side i hope the absence of dairy for the past year will help my symptoms!!

where do you get the pollen stuff?

erm, you should be able to buy the mixed pollen homeopathic remedy from most chemists (made by WELEDA). or healthfood shops. the one i got was in a "hayfever survival set" http://www.weleda.co.uk/products/name/hayfever-survival-kit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

A teaspoon of honey (ideally from your local area) in a cup of chamomile tea is very good for hayfever and clearing your sinuses. Something else also worth doing is to dry your clothes but particularly your bed clothes inside rather than outside on a clothes line as the pollen gets trapped in them and then you wear them all day or sleep in them at night and so never escape the pollen.

erm, you should be able to buy the mixed pollen homeopathic remedy from most chemists (made by WELEDA). or healthfood shops. the one i got was in a "hayfever survival set" http://www.weleda.co.uk/products/name/hayfever-survival-kit :D
    Thanks I might try it - i've been taking medicine on and off since the Feb and I'm just tired of it at this stage I can't even wear my lenses anymore and have to wear my dorky glasses instead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The worst part for me is the eternally itching eyes which just get itchier and itchier the more i scratch.

it has been psychologically disturbing at times. really.

however, i went to my gp a couple of years ago and basically begged for help.

I had taken all anti-histamines, nasal sprays etc in the past and the steroid injection (Depo-medrone) worked for about 5 years but in the last 3/4 years that hadn't worked.

So, desparate and down, he prescribed me tablets and nasal spray and eye drops to try and attack it from all angles.

The eyedrops were and still are the business. They are called Opticrom and they are available over the counter for less than €10.

They really did wonders for me.

Hope they do for you!

the only problem with the homeopathic remedy is that it isn't a quick fix. don't forget the internet has a wealth of information about hayfever!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I use Clarityn or Piriton. It really depends on the person. I've used the nasal spray before but I didn't find them effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

hey, i heard that if you take "mixed pollen" as a homeopathic remedy it should build your immunity against pollen. now, they do warn it's meant to get worse before better. i started taking them about 2 months ago, but i found it was causing me to sneeze after taking it most of the time :D it being exam season in college i thought i'd stop trying, but has anyone had any success with the homeopathic remedy???

Nelsons on Duke St Dublin should be able to help you get a remedy that works for you. They're a homepathic pharmacy, I find that most health food shops haven't a clue about homeopathy or how it works.

I dont' have hayfever (thank god :)) but I've taken remedies for other things and they've worked great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭kieranmcg1

I heard this a while back but my hyfever has never been bad enough to try it but iv heard something that is sipposed to help hay fever sufferers is to share a kiss with a lover . it would be the kind of thing you would try if you were cought off guard . worth a try if it helps at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Smileylynz wrote:
    Piriton, , Hope I spelt that right, Excellent Tablets, Cheap too, Get them n any chemist! They dont make me drowsy, but nearly made the girl I work with fall asleep yesterday!!!

Nothing helps me ecept for these tablets. I got an injection last year and it looks like i need one again this year as my nose is really itchy :(

kieranmcg1 wrote:
    I heard this a while back but my hyfever has never been bad enough to try it but iv heard something that is sipposed to help hay fever sufferers is to share a kiss with a lover . it would be the kind of thing you would try if you were cought off guard . worth a try if it helps at all
    A kiss eh?? Any volunteers? :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Dudess wrote:
    Just another point on the antihistamines: the non-drowsy ones are non-drowsy because they contain a stimulant so don't take them before going to sleep.

I know it's an old thread but because people are reading it again I just thought I'd point out that that isn't true and you can take them before going to bed, they won't keep you awake!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Today is the first day I've gotten it all year. I'm dying. I went and got my neo-clarityn prescription and took one.
    Its the sinius pain that kills me. Bah. I can't work like this all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

tk123 wrote:
    Does anyone use eye drops - if so which ones? I use Otrivine and they burn my eyes out for about 5 mins after taking thm :( My doc prescribed me Nasonex and it works treat but I still have to use eye drops sometimes...

Opticrom.. not sure if they're prescription or not.. but they're amazing!

I also use Neoclarityn tablets and Flixonase Nasel spray.

A tablet, a spray and a drop in each eye in the morning and I dont get any symptoms for the whole day!

If they do flare up, a spray or eye drops depending on what flares does the trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I developed severe hayfever almost overnight when I was in my late twenties.
    Since then, I'v tried almost everything.
    Went the homeopathic route, lots of honey, weleda pollen supplements, etc.. with no success.

Got the Kenalog injection from my gp - you need to get it ideally about 3/4 weeks before the start of the pollen season - however, its not great stuff to have injected into your body, and can cause necrosis & puckering of muscle at the injection site, not to mention bone thinning, and other lovely side effects. So, made a decision not to go down that route after three seasons.

Nasal sprays are only ok in the short term - prolonged use can cause them to become ineffective, as well as making your nose bleed. Most nasal sprays are topical steroids, which will eventually thin nasal tissue.

The only thing that works for me is Zirtek, and on an especially bad day, I will take a 2nd tablet. An earlier poster mentioned milk too - spot on, cut down completely on all dairy products.

BTW: Mods - could this be put in the long term illness forum as a sticky for the hayfever season? Would make more sense to have it there, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Today is the first day I've gotten it all year. I'm dying. I went and got my neo-clarityn prescription and took one.
    Its the sinius pain that kills me. Bah. I can't work like this all summer.

It's the rash that gets me. Beconase/Flixonase/Zirtek etc are fine once the pollen count isn't too high but some days they just don't do enough and I end up breaking out in a rash and getting the eyes, sinus pain etc. The rash is worse than the sinus pain for me most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well, the pollen count seemed to jump up about two days ago in this part of Cork. Up till then it was fine really. :(

Advertisement