Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky "No Satellite Signal Being Received"

• 03-04-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

In my workplace, there's a chap with a Sky box in his office, that is connected to a satellite on the roof. He's getting the dreaded "No Satellite Signal Being Received" on some channels, such as RTE One, RTE Two, TG4, etc, but he is getting channels such as Sky News and CNN.

I've consulted Sky's website (http://business.sky.com/czone_technical_qa.asp), and i've tried their suggestions. I've done a LNB Reset, and I've confirmed that all connections are secure. I suspect the dish is out of alignment. Does anyone know whether RTE One, etc are aligned vertically or horizontally?

The dish is up on the roof of the premises, so it's not easily accessible. Does anyone have any suggestions short of getting a technician to come and have a look?

Many thanks

dnc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

unplug it for 10 seconds and reconnect. that should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Unplugged the Sky box for about 30 seconds, and plugged it back in again. Still only getting some channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

have you ever recieved the irish channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Horizontal polarity.

Film 4 and Film 4 +1 are on the same transponder - are you getting them?

If not, dish may need a tweek. Some of the more weaker channels on 28.2E from my experience are Film24, Movies4Men, and Zone Horror (all horizontal BTW). If those 3 are coming in, then your dish is probably aligned ok.

http://www.flysat.com/28east.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

I have the exact opposite of this problem lately!

Im getting the Irish channels grand, but Sky One,Two, Three,
    Sky Sports wont work.

SKy news is working fine however.

The UKtv channels work grand, Paramount Bravo etc... fine, just the sky ones are causing the No satelite Signal message to come up.

I checked the Signal Strength, and its constantly on 3/4s like it has being since we ever bought the box.

Weather conditions are perfect down here, its never really caused a problem before.

I tried removing the card, unplugging it for a while and plugging it back in, but still have the same problem.

It seems to work when it wants to and is progressively getting more frequent.

It tends to go pixelated and glitchy before it does this.

Is my box on the way out do ye think?

We've had it quite a while now, oh and throughout the years the odd time, the Screen would start flickering, including the search and scan banner, which was solved by unplugging the box and plugging it back in, it happened very rarely but still happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

Test the dish system with a different Digibox. This is always the first (and easiest) thing to do when you are uncertain what is causing the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

biologikal wrote: »
    Horizontal polarity.

Film 4 and Film 4 +1 are on the same transponder - are you getting them?

If not, dish may need a tweek. Some of the more weaker channels on 28.2E from my experience are Film24, Movies4Men, and Zone Horror (all horizontal BTW). If those 3 are coming in, then your dish is probably aligned ok.

http://www.flysat.com/28east.php

Ah that makes sense, my fathers Sky was getting terrible break up on RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TNAG, Film24, Movies4Men, and Zone Horror. I couldnt understand why all other channels were coming in fine. I eventually put a sat meter on the LNB and everything came back fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Forgot to check back to this thread.

Sky man came today, showed him the problem, so he replaced the LNB on the dish saying that it was probably gone.

When we turned the box on there was a increase in signal strenghth & quality.
    THe channels were working fine again.
    He then did a firmware upgrade, by tunring off the power, and holding the backup button for 15 seconds after he plugged it back in.

That took about 10 mins. Anyways when i turned it back on after the upgrade i got the No satelite signal being recieved on the Customer channel and sky one, ran out and called him just before he headed.

It came back on by time he came back in, so anyways in the end he put in a new box, and the signal strenghth improved yet again. is almost full on both bars now, havent had a problem with the sky channels yet.

Long story short, it was the box that was the problem id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 anxie

:confused:
    Hi all.

I setup an old non HD/Plus box in my bedroom and wired up the room via a free port on the dish.
    After many checks on my cabling the long long story shortened is...

I kept getting the 'no satellite signal...'

In an act of desperation I changed TV connected to the box and lo and behold it worked fine, good signal and all stations working fine.
    I thought I was going nuts, so I did some other checks and the summary now is:

a . using 2 different Sky boxes and 2 different small CRT screens I always get "no satellite signal..."

b. If I switch to a LCD screen with either box, all is OK
    c. If i connect the CRT again and connect the LCD via the second scart connector, the signal is OK and I can view stations on both screens.

d. I have the same problem with my other Sky connection when I connect my CRT to it. (I just never noticed this as it always had the LCD connected to it).

Is it possible that there is some interference from the CRT's, or some bad cabling that I have laid that causes this?

anxie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I can't help you - very strange problem, but some of the more experienced hands on the forum may have come across this before. What I would suggest is that you delete your post and start a new thread as this one is over two years old and has probably no relation to your issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Are you using a scart or an RF cable to connect from the box to the tv ?

anxie wrote: »
    :confused:
    Hi all.

I setup an old non HD/Plus box in my bedroom and wired up the room via a free port on the dish.
    After many checks on my cabling the long long story shortened is...

I kept getting the 'no satellite signal...'

In an act of desperation I changed TV connected to the box and lo and behold it worked fine, good signal and all stations working fine.
    I thought I was going nuts, so I did some other checks and the summary now is:

a . using 2 different Sky boxes and 2 different small CRT screens I always get "no satellite signal..."

b. If I switch to a LCD screen with either box, all is OK
    c. If i connect the CRT again and connect the LCD via the second scart connector, the signal is OK and I can view stations on both screens.

d. I have the same problem with my other Sky connection when I connect my CRT to it. (I just never noticed this as it always had the LCD connected to it).

Is it possible that there is some interference from the CRT's, or some bad cabling that I have laid that causes this?

anxie

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Are you sure its just not a dodgy connection at the "f" connector and just by chance with the fiddling around with different tv's, it's causing an intermittent signal loss?
    Have you wired the room directly from dish to box, or it is going to a wallplate first before it hits the box?

Hi folks, thank you for the replies. apologies for not moving to a new thread before the kind responses appeared.

To answer the questions:

Tony wrote: »
    Are you using a scart or an RF cable to connect from the box to the tv ?

Scarts for both TV's Tony.

I am going from dish to box with one joint using 2 fconnectors, no wall plate.
    (plus Fconnector at the end of the line to the sky box obviously)
    kbell wrote: »
    Are you sure its just not a dodgy connection at the "f" connector and just by chance...

Although I made the connections myself, I don't think that it is signal loss due to temorarily broken connection, because as mentioned earlier if I connect two TVs it works, if I remove the scart from the LCD TV it drops instantly on the CRT and comes back instantly upon reconnection of the LCD

Thank you very much for the response guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you have a bad earth/screen connection.

RF will pass a "crack", corrosion, bad connection or disconnection in coax outer. The 22kHz and DC to LNB needs a good connection. It must be getting it via one of the TVs when you connect SCART?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

anxie wrote: »
    Hi folks, thank you for the replies. apologies for not moving to a new thread before the kind responses appeared.

To answer the questions:

Scarts for both TV's Tony.

I am going from dish to box with one joint using 2 fconnectors, no wall plate.
    (plus Fconnector at the end of the line to the sky box obviously)

Although I made the connections myself, I don't think that it is signal loss due to temorarily broken connection, because as mentioned earlier if I connect two TVs it works, if I remove the scart from the LCD TV it drops instantly on the CRT and comes back instantly upon reconnection of the LCD

Thank you very much for the response guys.
    Sounds to me like some kind of earthing problem. Some interaction between the SCART screen and the SKY box which is dropping the LNB signal or DC to the LNB. What make model are the CRT TVs? It's odd that the LCD TVs will work, but the CRTs won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Try using the RF out from the sky box

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Thanks very much for the suggestions guys. I will try some of these suggestions and update the CRT models.

Hi all,

The CRTs are a small Walker DVD/TV combo and the other is a ZX803 VHS/TV combo. The LCD is also a Walker.
    I tried the RF cable, but no change in the situation.

Anyway, I have some progress, when I go into
    Services > System Setup
    and go into the installer menu 0,1, Select
    > LNB Setup
    and turn the 22 KHz command to off
    I get signal.
    The only problems are:
    a. many channels have 'technical fault with this channel' (all stations up to 109 and some others)
    b. I have no idea what else this might effect, or if it is a good idea :-)

For anyone else who stumbles upon this thread....
    I have noticed since all of this that sometimes I lose signal on my main Sky box.
    If I fiddle with the connections on the other boxes in the house (one in particular) the main one comes back without me touching the two feeds going to it.
    While I don't pretend to understand why, I do believe that this is down to my poor cabling causing a circuit problem as watty suggested above.
    If anyone can advise hacks like me how to test or correct this, I'll gladly take the advice and post my experience on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

With no 22kHz, you get about 1/2 the channels.

There are four groups of channels, only one group at a time on coax.
    22KHz off, 13V (low band vertical)
    22KHz off, 18V (low band Horizontal)
    22KHz on 13V (high band vertical)
    22KHz on, 18V (high band Horizontal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Currently getting no satellite signal on Sky+ HD Box (think error 25 and then error 29 comes on screen) have unplugged all plugs, leads and scarts and put back together and still no satellite signal should I call Sky directly?

Any advice greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

getting this now

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Hi folks came home to this on my tv this evening "your sky box isn't getting a signal"

Ok I checked all the leads they are ok tightened them up
    I took in and out the sky card
    I turned it on and off
    I plugged it out from the wall and waited a few mins plugged it back in no joy.
    I rang sky and girl asked me to go settings menu and then signal menu , all this menu shows no signal coming in.

There sending someone out on Feb13 th !!!!!!!! At a cost of €100 of course

Is there anything I can do guys. I would appreciate some advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    Is there anything I can do guys. I would appreciate some advice here.

In the strong wind last night the dish may have moved slightly out of alignment. You could try realigning it with someone looking at the Sky box signal meter if you're so inclined. If not a local aerial installer with a proper meter will be able to sort it. Someone I know got a dish realigned for €40 after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Got out my ladder went to the dish and one of the two cables attached to the dish had come loose with the wind!!!!!!. I was never so happy to ring back a company and tell them keep there call out engineer where he is. And by the way it's €120 not €100 as I said in earlier post. Sky eh classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Signal went last night :( What are the chances of the signal returning after the wind and rain dies down?
    The dish is only installed since November. There's no way I'm ringing Sky to realign it, I'll have to try and get a third party installer :(

Stephen P wrote: »
    Signal went last night :( What are the chances of the signal returning after the wind and rain dies down?
    The dish is only installed since November.

Most likey no chance. Would the installation be under guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

The Cush wrote: »
    Most likey no chance. Would the installation be under guarantee?

No, only 30 days guarantee with the installation :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kalel76

hi guys, looking for a bit of help if anyone can spare some time. i have two sky boxes.
    Box a. is subscribtion sky+hd.
    box b. is my old white sky box.
    up to a week ago all was good untill suddenly box b says no satelite signal recieved.
    i called sky and told them box a was loosing signal randomly ( only way to get a free visit as box a is under wauranty)
    the engineer called while i was out. he moved the dish up higher and replaced the lnb.box b still has no satelite signal. the cable from the dish seems ok. i swapped the boxes then box a will say no signal so it seems the box is not the issue.
    so thats the info hope someone can help. thanks.

• Advertisement

kalel76 wrote: »
    i have two sky boxes.
    Box a. is subscribtion sky+hd.
    box b. is my old white sky box.
    up to a week ago all was good untill suddenly box b says no satelite signal recieved.
    i called sky and told them box a was loosing signal randomly ( only way to get a free visit as box a is under wauranty)
    the engineer called while i was out. he moved the dish up higher and replaced the lnb.box b still has no satelite signal. the cable from the dish seems ok. i swapped the boxes then box a will say no signal so it seems the box is not the issue.

Is box b being used as a FTA satellite receiver, i.e. no Sky subscription?
    Did the Sky technician check to feed to box b?
    Have you tested box b at the box a point?
    Have you checked the f-connector on the cable to ensure the connector is secure on the cable?
    Can you swap over the cables on the lnb?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement