Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time To End Internment - Release Marian Price and Martin Corey

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They should have brought a habeas corpus rather than JR. In JR they have to prove the decision was wrong, in a habeas, the State have to prove that the detention was lawful. If they don't have any documents about her being released then they can't prove that she was released on licence or what the terms of that licence were.

But again, it is presumably something that the Home Office will have a copy of, they tend to keep record of such things.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Price’s lawyers say that it is unreasonable to expect her to have retained a legal document from 30 years ago and that the fact that she didn’t should not be used against her.
    Yeah, if I had received a royal pardon that guaranteed my freedom, I'd probably shred it the next day. Why would you want to hold on to something like that?

That article makes it clear that there are two conflicting claims. It's evidence of disagreement, not evidence of the truth of either claim. And yet, you and others clearly believe - with unshakable conviction - that her side of the story is the only possible truth.

That sounds like confirmation bias to me - you choose to believe things that support your existing beliefs, and to deny things that contradict them - but if there's any actual evidence to support her claim, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Pand

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yeah, if I had received a royal pardon that guaranteed my freedom, I'd probably shred it the next day. Why would you want to hold on to something like that?

Surely you think the proof of existence of an important legal document like a Royal Pardon would be less likely to be "lost or shredded" by the Northern Ireland Office than by an individual who for all means and purposes should't require it anymore? But then I suppose, a lot of documents went missing in those days ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Some might have noticed that he was released on compassionate grounds to attend his brothers funeral on condition he was accompanied by two senior SF figures.
    Corey released to attend brother’s funeral

Published on Friday 25 May 2012 10:26

LURGAN republican Martin Corey was allowed temporary release to attend his brother’s funeral on Thursday after originally being barred from doing so.

http://www.lurganmail.co.uk/news/local/corey-released-to-attend-brother-s-funeral-1-3882130

Martin Corey's imprisonment is in my opinion the greatest injustice of the post GFA era. He was imprisoned for life for killing two RUC men and spent twenty years behind bars, he was released in 1992.

However in 2010 the Brit Secretary of State revoked his license, why? Here's the kicker, he won't say. Merely said it was "closed material". This means that Martin can't appeal to get the decision judicially reviewed because he doesn't know why he is in jail. No charges, nothing.

This is a disgraceful violation of his human rights. Human rights are universal, otherwise they mean nothing, they can't be applied selectively.

Is a despicable situation where a man can be imprisoned and not even a reason given.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭bon ami

"Human rights are universal, otherwise they mean nothing, they can't be applied selectively"

Could not agree more Human rights are universal. OOPs did he deny the two RUC men the most basic human right when he murdered them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

ah yes the auld mitchell principles again! he is being held like marian cos his views are anti establishment, tow the line or else.............shamefull reallly that pfs support such things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Was I the only one to think this thread was about Martin Corry? (for those of you who never heard of him a quick perusal of that page will give you an idea of his, em, interesting solutions to British occupation)

Two IRA men with strikingly similar names. What are the odds!

bon ami wrote: »
    "Human rights are universal, otherwise they mean nothing, they can't be applied selectively"

Could not agree more Human rights are universal. OOPs did he deny the two RUC men the most basic human right when he murdered them?

This is a rather pointless road to go down...

You could say the those RUC men and their organization collectively denied the rights of tens of thousands of people. As I said a rather pointless side track. But if an ex RUC man was imprisoned, or a loyalist, Unionist, fascist or whatever was imprisoned under the same circumstances as Martin Corey I would call for their release because their incarceration is an unjust one. Imprisoning someone and not even giving a reason is something which should not be allowed. The licensing system is being blatantly abused by a political figure, for political reasons. In a free society that should not happen.

Seen as I am a republican obviously I'd be more familiar with Martin Corey's case, but if you know of others imprisoned in the same manner I'd love to know of them.

The thing with human rights you see is that they don't apply only if a person lived a "good" life.

Good to hear Gerry Adams expressly call for her immediate release in his presidential address.

The British Secretary of State has also made a number of unhelpful and unwarranted interventions, including his decision to revoke the licences of Martin Corey and Marian Price.

The British Secretary of State should go back to England where he belongs.

Marion Price and Martin Corey and Gerry McGeough, should be released immediately.

From Gerry Adams presidential address at the SF Ard Fheis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Good to hear Gerry Adams expressly call for her immediate release in his presidential address.

It is good but it came much too late.

better late then never, them political prisionors have been interned for over a yr each and only now beardy speaks out:rolleyes: he's been shamed into speaking out imo. psf were looking very badly out of all this,especially to grassroots.

It is good but it came much too late.

tbh its way way too late. its a face saving exercise by beardy cos psf were looking pretty bad on this one. he been shamed into speaking out really.

tbh its way way too late. its a face saving exercise by beardy cos psf were looking pretty bad on this one. he been shamed into speaking out really.
    I'd view it as a positive tbh, I dont know if he would speak out like this if he wasnt confident on movement... or maybe SF have just got fed up with the softly softly approach.

Either way I think republicans should focus on the prisoners rather than giving out about who should have done what and when. I agree it should have happened sooner, but the important thing is that it has. Its a positive development and should be welcomed as such.

"softly softly approach":rolleyes: come on seriously like is that what they've been at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

You don't say! Old team mates eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

My own view is that people like her who have both used terrorism and expouse terrorism should be confined.
    There is no place in a civilised society for the likes of her and her fellow travellers.

The best place for murderers and terrorists is in jail, what reasonable person could disagree.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    My own view is that people like her who have both used terrorism and expouse terrorism should be confined.
    There is no place in a civilised society for the likes of her and her fellow travellers.

So lock up everyone who doesn't oppose armed struggle?

So lock up everyone who doesn't oppose armed struggle?
    Don't be so silly, I said those who have used and expoused the use of terrorism deserve to be in prison.
    I for one am quite happy to see this woman stay behind bars rather than have her running around inciting terrorism.

• Advertisement

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Don't be so silly, I said those who have used and expoused the use of terrorism deserve to be in prison.
    I for one am quite happy to see this woman stay behind bars rather than have her running around inciting terrorism.

Inciting terrorism? She held a piece of paper during a political speech. During the '70s '80s and early '90s nearly everyone from the Nationalist side went to these rallies and Easter Commemorations but now you can be locked up indefinitely for "Inciting terrorism"

The charges were dismissed anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

Why would the leader of The SDLPII want to see an 'enemy of the island of Ireland' released back into the community?

SF had better watch themselves - if they get too close to these clowns, it might jeopardise their own strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

This is a rather pointless road to go down...

You could say the those RUC men and their organization collectively denied the rights of tens of thousands of people . . . etc blah blah

You've just (feebly) attempted to justify the slaughter.
    Well done, you. Real classy. Its as if people, with conveniently short memories or being too young to actually know what it was like, miss the old days.

JustinDee wrote: »
    You've just (feebly) attempted to justify the slaughter.
    Well done, you. Real classy. Its as if people, with conveniently short memories or being too young to actually know what it was like, miss the old days.
    I broadly agree with the PIRAs definition of legitimate targets. Certainly in the case of the RUC.

Not that it matters one jot. However I certainly don't want the "old days" back, I support the GFA.

ANy opinion at all on the topic of the thread or did you just come in to comment on my good self?

http://www.sharesnack.com/5AFC7D6BDC9/pzj8o93p

Very good turnout at the Marian Price rally in West Belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I broadly agree with the PIRAs definition of legitimate targets. Certainly in the case of the RUC.
    Like I said, you feebly attempted to justify the slaughter.
    Not that it matters one jot. However I certainly don't want the "old days" back, I support the GFA.
    ANy opinion at all on the topic of the thread or did you just come in to comment on my good self?
    I know nothing about you and am not actually bothered. I post on what an anonymous synonym posts.
    A supporter of any of that bloodshed knows little of human rights so when the pontificating about police officers being killed just for being police officers being a good thing is piped out, don't be surprised if taken up on it.
    I doubt you have specific privileged information yourself that would exonerate the person in question of any suspicions.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Like I said, you feebly attempted to justify the slaughter.

I know nothing about you and am not actually bothered. I post on what an anonymous synonym posts.
    A supporter of any of that bloodshed knows little of human rights so when the pontificating about police officers being killed just for being police officers being a good thing is piped out, don't be surprised if taken up on it.
    I doubt you have specific privileged information yourself that would exonerate the person in question of any suspicions.
    So you believe that it is acceptable to imprison people in this way, without disclosing the reason why, letting defense counsels see etc in effect preventing a meaningful appeal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Marian Price has been in jail for nearly a year now after her appearance at an Easter commemoration last year in which she held a piece of paper which a masked person read from.

I think Marian brought it on herself that would be my opinion. People like her and the real IRA men she was standing beside are not wanted in our society is that a fair comment? from reading some of your other posts I see you supports the GFA? then surely people like Marian and the people she stood beside on that day you would be against their mindset and what they want...

We have all tried to move on. Rational people on both sides have tried to move on nobody wants a return to the dark old days of murder misery bombs and racism jesus the thought of that doesnt bear thinking about. I think people who still preach violence and willfully put themselves in that position belong in jail. Marian made a conscience decision to be there that day she has no one to blame but herself. Those who still preach violence and hate will hurt us all if they ever are allowed get a foothold and they shouldnt be allowed. To many people have suffered on all sides. Preach peace not hate, Marian chose the latter when she stood there that day.

• Advertisement

WakeUp wrote: »
    I think Marian brought it on herself that would be my opinion. People like her and the real IRA men she was standing beside are not wanted in our society is that a fair comment? from reading some of your other posts I see you supports the GFA? then surely people like Marian and the people she stood beside on that day you would be against their mindset and what they want...

We have all tried to move on. Rational people on both sides have tried to move on nobody wants a return to the dark old days of murder misery bombs and racism jesus the thought of that doesnt bear thinking about. I think people who still preach violence and willfully put themselves in that position belong in jail. Marian made a conscience decision to be there that day she has no one to blame but herself. Those who still preach violence and hate will hurt us all if they ever are allowed get a foothold and they shouldnt be allowed. To many people have suffered on all sides. Preach peace not hate, Marian chose the latter when she stood there that day.

Indeed, Marian wouldn't even meet with SF when they visited the jail...

But I don't think people who disagree with me should be locked up just because of that. If they do something and thats proven in a court of law then thats entirely different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement