Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hob advice

• 15-02-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a new hob. I cook daily but nothing too exotic. A lot of meals would involve frying some meat (chicken breast, mince, steak pieces) adding some veg and a sauce. I find that the veg often ends up softer than I'd like. I'm blaming this on the fact that I cook on an electric hob which isn't reaching a high enough temperature. I thought the solution would be to buy a wok burner, but as I've never liked cooking on gas then to also get 2 electric rings for boiling spuds, rice , pasta etc.
    A shop assistant has also suggested an induction hob as a good compromise.

Any opinions from all you proper chefs on either idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Personally, I'd always go for gas. I have used induction hobs and they are lightning fast but I hate the controls.
    My sister has a hob with 2 gas burners and 2 induction rings - it is a pretty good compromise.
    Also remember that not all pots work on an induction hob.

Gas really is best once you're used to it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

We have an induction hob. It's incredibly quick to heat and very safe.

It can be a little fiddly but once you get to used to it, its great.

Some pans don't work on them too plus you can't let tin foil near it if the hob is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Its all about the gas. It gives the best heat control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Gas FTW. Induction can be very fiddly, and you’ll have to buy a new set of pots. What I find particularly annoying if you spill liquid on it or something boils over and the whole lot shuts down, sometimes without you noticing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wish someone other than me would speak ot my OH about gas cookers.

I hate cooking on electric.

Hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Having lived with both a Gas and Electric hob I would say go for Gas without a doubt. Much easier to cook with. Very easy to Control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

There are only two hobs I can cook well on gas or the top the Aga. Hate electric rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Cooking on electric rings makes me 'stabby'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It depends, for some things I need to simmer slowly for a long time I get on quite well with my electric ceramic hob, but if I need to do a stir-fry for example, or get a cast-iron griddle smoking hot I do long for a gas hob, I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kalinda

olaola wrote: »
    Gas FTW. Induction can be very fiddly, and you’ll have to buy a new set of pots. What I find particularly annoying if you spill liquid on it or something boils over and the whole lot shuts down, sometimes without you noticing it.

I agree re the above. Trackguy, did not know that about tín foil,thanks for the tip. You can test if your existing pots are suitable by placing a magnet on the bottom to check they are magnetic and therefore usable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Are induction hobs good for wok style cooking? or is gas your only man?

I have a ceramic hob and gave up trying to get maintain a high heat apart throughout apart from the tiny base. Made cooking meals for 5 a bit of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

noworries wrote: »
    Are induction hobs good for wok style cooking? or is gas your only man?

I have a ceramic hob and gave up trying to get maintain a high heat apart throughout apart from the tiny base. Made cooking meals for 5 a bit of a challenge.

You need flat bottomed wok if you don't have gas.
    Having said that the nature of a wok means that the base should be the hottest part so you can push things to the side where it's cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still puzzled though. According to all the bumpf induction is faster, more economical and more controlable than gas. This doesn't seem to be peoples experience here. (I'm only talking about induction, not regular electric) I do see the advantage of having the flames of a large gas ring licking up the sides of a wok, but as Beer Revolution says it can actually be handy to just have the bottom(of a flat bottomed wok) the hottest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

OP, gas all the way for me. It's much easier to control the heat and switch to a lower/higher heat quickly. Gas can be more intense than electric though, so watch out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Des wrote: »
    I wish someone other than me would speak ot my OH about gas cookers.

I hate cooking on electric.

Hate it.

Me too.

Whenever I'm looking for a new houseshare in which to rent a room, one of my musts is that the house has a gas hob. I am quite fussy about this and have been since my student days, much to the amusement of my friends and fella! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I have an induction hob and couldn’t cook with anything else. I think its great and get great heat out of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'd kill for a gas hob. I just moved into a house with an electric hob and it wrecks my head. I found gas so much easier for stir frying.

Also with gas it's so easy to bring something back from the boil at a flick of the dial, with the electric I have to move the pot until the hob cools down to stop it spilling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 itsalongday

Inductn just needs a little eating used to - you can buy a little single induction hob also I have 4 of them for different bits in work at € 90 eAch there great valu from kenwood- I do tv demos etc from induction no probs- check the pans alright - I also picked up a wok for € 45 designed for induction and it's fantastic - more economical but it also doesnt bring that extra heat up in front of you- doesn't burn pans like gas or regular electric I have my everyday set 6 now and counting so buy good ones it's well worth it and is also easier to cook on! Best of luck

Ok, so aesthetics tipped the balance in the end and we went for the induction. Then we discovered a problem that no one mentioned.
    I've tried 5 different brands of pot and they all buzz. It's not the cooling fan, it's def the pots. Research online suggests that this is a problem with some brands of pots but they all seem to do it.

The annoying thing is that none of the pot or hob sellers that I've spoken to seem to be aware of it. I finally persuaded one who kept telling me I was wrong to try it and lo and behold they buzzed on his hob too.

Abny ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ok, so aesthetics tipped the balance in the end and we went for the induction. Then we discovered a problem that no one mentioned.
    I've tried 5 different brands of pot and they all buzz. It's not the cooling fan, it's def the pots. Research online suggests that this is a problem with some brands of pots but they all seem to do it.

The annoying thing is that none of the pot or hob sellers that I've spoken to seem to be aware of it. I finally persuaded one who kept telling me I was wrong to try it and lo and behold they buzzed on his hob too.

Abny ideas anyone?
    It was mentioned about the pots you use on induction being an issue. Some don't work at all, others don't work too well. I'd rather buzzing over not heating. But thats the reason why I prefer gas.

Are they specifically designed for inducton hobs?
    Some hob manufacturers even make a range specifically for thier hobs. I've no idea if they actually work better or its just branding.

• Advertisement

All the ones I've tried are induction compatible. They heat up alright, it's just they make a mad buzzing noise while doing it. If you have the extract fan on you wouldn't hear it, but its annoying none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Gas is grand except when you want to simmer gently for a period of time, we changed back to gas recently and while the control is good at higher levels it is quite difficult to get a good low simmer without the burner going out particularly if you are cooking with the back door open and there is any kind of air movement.

That being said I still prefer gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fenris wrote: »
    Gas is grand except when you want to simmer gently for a period of time, we changed back to gas recently and while the control is good at higher levels it is quite difficult to get a good low simmer without the burner going out particularly if you are cooking with the back door open and there is any kind of air movement.

That being said I still prefer gas.

I'm tentatively looking at replacing my kitchen, and have seen modular systems (Ikea do one for example) where you can combine different types of hob into one unit, and have considered a setup with 2 gas burners, 1 gas wok burner, and 2 ceramic rings. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Those of you who hate electric, or couldnt do without gas......did you start off with gas?

When I lived at home it was gas. Then in my house it was electric. god I found it slow! But over time I have gotten really used to it. Have ceramic hob and fan oven for 15 years and would not go back. So easy to clean the hob!

To get quick heat on the bottom of pans I turn on the control to top heat put empty pot on for a few seconds or more, then cook. To cool down quickly, just move to an empty spot on the hob, then back again to simmer. I suppose I am just used to it.

The only thing I'd like gas for is flambé using the gas flame, but I do that with a match!

Advertisement