Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones - Season 2 [MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALL 5 BOOKS/US EPISODES - SEE POST 1]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Every time we went to see Theon last night, I kept having the chant: "Reek Reek, it rhymes with meek!" go through my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Anyone here think that the character of Stannis (at least in the books) is slightly autistic? The lack of flexibility or outside-the-box thinking, the fixation on 'justice' and right and wrong, and lack of any sort of humour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Anyone here think that the character of Stannis (at least in the books) is slightly autistic? The lack of flexibility or outside-the-box thinking, the fixation on 'justice' and right and wrong, and lack of any sort of humour?

I don't think that's autism otherwise you just diagnosed some major religious figures as autistic:D. He is also referred to by Ned Stark as one of the best military commanders in Westeros so he must be flexible in battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

I don't think that's autism otherwise you just diagnosed some major religious figures as autistic:D. He is also referred to by Ned Stark as one of the best military commanders in Westeros so he must be flexible in battle.

Ned Stark is an idiot though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A lot of messing with the plot lines, alright.

I don't see much of it haven't any grander impact on the main plot, however.
    The same things will happen just by slighter different (and more expedient) routes.

"Yara" Greyjoy was a let down. Not much spark there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Daith wrote: »
    Ned Stark is an idiot though.

Maybe, but I never knew the man to be wrong in matters of combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Just realised something horrible - no Reeds have been cast for the 2nd series have they?? They should be coming to Winterfell to Bran in season 2 I'd have thought? They are very important in Brans story and I love everything about them and their people. Their "Song of Ice and Fire" poem is really cool as well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Just realised something horrible - no Reeds have been cast for the 2nd series have they?? They should be coming to Winterfell to Bran in season 2 I'd have thought? They are very important in Brans story and I love everything about them and their people. Their "Song of Ice and Fire" poem is really cool as well :cool:

I have confidence the Reeds will appear in Season 3. The writers have strongly hinted that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I have confidence the Reeds will appear in Season 3. The writers have strongly hinted that is the case.

Sounds like a possibilty. Maybe Bran and Hodor meet them as they start their travels!

Much as I liked the Reeds and their characters, their story arc is liked with the interminable Bran/wolf thing which made me dread seeing a "Bran" charter in ADWD.

As the least Meera better be foxier than Asha Yara.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dades wrote: »

Isn't Meera supposed to be Bran's age? Anyway Episode 3. Fantastic I thought after a weakish episode 2. Loved the way they used Yoren as a way to introduce Arya's prayer. So next week's dramatic ending has to be the shadowy murder. Be interesting to see how that goes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I never really pictured Asha as foxy.....hard nosed bitch maybe,but not foxy. I think that actress was pretty much spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Starting to get going now. Brienne!

Feeling a bit sorry for Theon and don't recall that from the books. Can imagine it will only get worse a lot later down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yeah, Theon is definitely being played more sympathetically than I remember his character from the books.

Liking Margaery's character in this. She's certainly being portrayed as a younger (extremely sexy) version of the Queen of Thornes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

Sleepy wrote: »
    Liking Margaery's character in this. She's certainly being portrayed as a younger (extremely sexy) version of the Queen of Thornes! :)

Maybe my brother can help get you started. So messed up.

And Sansa is a right bitch in this...but you can kinda see her beginning to see through the lies.

And Sansa is a right bitch in this
    So she's exactly like in the books then...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

........but you can kinda see her beginning to see through the lies.
    She has realised that her fairytale is no more and that she is trapped in a nightmare with no escape in sight. She grew up with the notions of courtly love and chivalry in her mind. The stark reality of life has hit her quite hard, Arya is tougher and was able to fight back, Sansa will take longer to try to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

REally liked the added bit with Yoren's back story.

mewso wrote: »
    Isn't Meera supposed to be Bran's age?
    15, I think. But given everyone's age seems to have been increased by a factor, I very much doubt the reeds will be kids. Anyway, I've just read in a couple of places their storyline won't be kick-started until Season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭granturismo

But given everyone's age seems to have been increased by a factor, I very much doubt the reeds will be kids. .

Yep, some female characters in the book are having sex at 14 or getting married at the same age which made me a bit uncomfortable reading and I woudl guess would lead to a flood of complaints if Daenerys for eg was played by a teen actor reflecting her age in the book.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

15, I think. But given everyone's age seems to have been increased by a factor, I very much doubt the reeds will be kids. Anyway, I've just read in a couple of places their storyline won't be kick-started until Season 3.

They are going to have to change things around a bit not introducing them until season 3, although given where Bran's story goes I wouldn't be surprised with some changes for the tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I'm very disappointed with some of the direction of the show. They are failing to recreate the sense of epicness that the books do and that the LOTR managed to translate to its movies. We need to see more shots of places .. aerial shots of the iron islands, kings landing etc We also need to see them create a feeling of time passing .. Aryas trip to the wall for instance, we get no sense of how long or hard that journey is. She could be 5 miles or 500 miles from Kings Landing for all it shows in the show.

Playboy wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed with some of the direction of the show. They are failing to recreate the sense of epicness that the books do and that the LOTR managed to translate to its movies. We need to see more shots of places .. aerial shots of the iron islands, kings landing etc
    All of this costs money. The show is very expensive and you can't compare it to a multi-million dollar movie like LotR and have some of the same expectations. That's why battles have to be small or even off screen. It's annoying but that's the limits of a TV production.
    We also need to see them create a feeling of time passing .. Aryas trip to the wall for instance, we get no sense of how long or hard that journey is. She could be 5 miles or 500 miles from Kings Landing for all it shows in the show.
    While I understand where you're coming from and agree, how would you establish this? A montage sequence? A sign saying "Two months later"? An arrow moving across the map in the style of Indiana Jones?

It's a difficult one to manage in the time frame of a TV show. If you kept cutting to different scenes of Arya struggling then you'd also need to do the same to the other story-lines to keep the narrative going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You could do a couple "we've been on the road for weeks!" complaints or angry "we're still x miles from the wall", but it would only work once or twice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Or
    Episode 1
    'This huge block of cheese is to do us to the wall.' said Yoren

Episode 4
    'Oh look the cheese is half ate.' observed Arry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Or
    Episode 1
    'This huge block of cheese is to do us to the wall.' said Yoren

Episode 4
    'Oh look the cheese is half ate.' observed Arry

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Shadow baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Did anyone get that felling once Yoren started to reel off his backstory that things were gonna end for him pretty soon? I enjoyed his portrayal.

I'm enjoying the scenes of Theon. In the books they're undisclosed. Shows us how his eagerness to impress his family and become his own man has amounted to nothing, its a great visual impact to draw more live into the character for his 'turn'. Btw I think Alfie Allen is leading the Grammy nominations this season so far.

Does anybody think the Dinklage's accent slips every so often or that he tends to assume portions of the accent of the charaacter he's in a scene with.

Mrs Dades is officially *out* of Game of Thrones. The last episode put her over the edge. I had to watch loads of it with the volume down. She's over the torture bits and prostitute beating.

Next week I shall be watching it privately on the iPad. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Mrs Dades is officially *out* of Game of Thrones. The last episode put her over the edge. I had to watch loads of it with the volume down. She's over the torture bits and prostitute beating.

Next week I shall be watching it privately on the iPad. :pac:

How visualy graphic is it? Might have to give a warning myself.

Advertisement