Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lying Game - ABC Family [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

A-ha!...i knew this would get picked up, it's from Sara Shepard ala PLL:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/the-lying-game-nears-series-order-at-abc-family/

I saw Alexandra Chando guest star on Glory Daze, stunning looking girl!....looks a fair bit like Nina Dobrev.

As expected ABCF has officially picked up TLG for a 10 episode order, nice to see Kristen Prout (Amanda on Kyle XY - also on ABC Family) get a role:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/its-official-abc-family-picks-up-the-lying-game-to-series-keeps-jane-in-contention/

ABC Family has picked up an additional one-hour scripted drama, “The Lying Game.” The drama is in addition to the three previously announced series pick-ups, the one-hour dramas “The Nine Lives of Chloe King” and “Switched at Birth,” and the half-hour multi-cam comedy series, “The Great State of Georgia.”

“The Lying Game” follows Emma, a kind-hearted foster kid who learns she has an identical twin sister, Sutton. Sutton, unlike Emma, was adopted by wealthy parents and is seemingly living an ideal life. After their initial meeting, Sutton talks Emma into stepping into her life for a few days while she pursues a lead on the mysterious identity of their birth mother. After Sutton inexplicably fails to return to the girls’ designated meeting place, Emma must decide whether to come clean about her identity and risk her own safety in the hope of uncovering her twin sister’s whereabouts, along with the truth about why they were separated in the first place. “The Lying Game” stars Alexandra Chando (“As The World Turns”) as Emma/Sutton; Andy Buckley (“The Office”) as Ted; Helen Slater (“Supergirl”) as Kristin; Blair Redford (“90210”) as Garrett; Sharon Pierre-Louis (“Lincoln Heights”) as Nisha; Kirsten Prout (“Kyle XY”) as Char; Alice Greczyn (“Lincoln Heights”) as Mads; and Allie Gonino (“10 Things I Hate About You”) as Laurel. Charles Pratt, Jr. (“Ugly Betty”) serves as executive producer and writer; Leslie Morgenstein (“Pretty Little Liars”) and Gina Girolamo will serve as executive producers. Produced by Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Horizon Television, the series is based on the novel by author Sara Shepard.

ABC Family's newly picked up comedy series The Great State of Georgia is recasting one of the lead. Veteran Loretta Devine is joining the cast of the sitcom, which centers on Georgia (Raven Symone), an exuberant curvy performer from the south, and her science geek best friend Jo (Majandra Delfino) who try to make headway in New York City. Devine will play the flamboyantly effusive Aunt Honey, a Southern grande dame in a silk Open robe and fur-trimmed mules, who is Georgia and Jo's landlady and a dear friend of Georgia's late mother. Devine, who has been recurring on ABC's Grey's Anatomy, replaces Meagen Fay who played the role in the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,329 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I see Blair Redford (Oscar from 90210) is in the cast - I kinda liked him in 90210 would prefer he stayed in that tbh

:eek: The Lying Game = Ringer on CW :eek:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwrap/is_lying_game_ringer_ringer_c0CYMeuNCQlKeU9wvJV4rJ

tv.jpg

Interesting note as Liz said, Blair redford is a regular on The Lying Game but he's also been guest starring on Switched At Birth :confused: - so i guess this means Ty will be leaving that show and Bay will get a new love interest.

http://justjaredjr.buzznet.com/2011/06/29/the-lying-game-first-look/

lying-game-first-look.jpg

lying-game-first-look-04.jpg

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I see Blair Redford (Oscar from 90210) is in the cast - I kinda liked him in 90210 would prefer he stayed in that tbh

Liz....Blair left Switched At Birth on Mondays ep. - he went off join the army, he's now free for this show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,329 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

110712lyinggame1.jpg
    The Lying Game

A lost twin. A dark secret. A deadly game: That's the slogan for ABC Family's upcoming summer show The Lying Game

As said above the same as CW's show Ringer

Some fresh casting news [INCL. Alphas + Covert Affairs]: http://www.tvline.com/2011/07/casting-news-mader-alphas-affairs-lying-game/

ABC Family’s new summer sudser, The Lying Game — which follows recently reunited twins (played by Alexandra Chando) who swap lives for a day, until one mysteriously disappears — doesn’t debut until August 15, but it’s already adding to its cast: TVLine has learned that Step Up 3D‘s leading stud, Rick Malambri, has booked a multi-episode arc as Eduardo, a sexy choreographer at the Royal Ballet Studio in the series’ hometown of Scottsdale. It’s only fitting that Eduardo will become romantically involved with one of his students, but will the lucky lady be Lincoln Heights headturner Alice Greczyn’s Mads, or Kyle XY alum Kirsten Prout’s Char?

Sneak peak, hmmm....the acting from Alexandra ain't great in this scene, we'll see how it goes.
    Advance review: http://www.sidereel.com/posts/176615-news-the-lying-game-advanced-review-from-sidereels-yael

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I watched the pilot and I would have to say it was pretty average. I think the show does have potential and hopefully we will see the characters fleshed out a bit more as they all seemed very superficial and unlikable. I'm a bit confused by the part in the warehouse, was that Sutton's necklace she found, and if so why didn't she mention it to the boyfriend. It seems the show is trying to be like 90210 but with a bit of mystery thrown in with the sister not reappearing. I'll watch the next few episodes as I think the success of the show will depend on how the mystery progresses. Have to say that I am quite surprised by the low viewing figures, thought a lot of the PLL audience would tune in.

Detailed ratings breakdown, there is no positives in these numbers or demos....it's a massive flop, the lowest rated premiere in over three years:

Secret Life of an American Teenager (ABC Family, 8 PM)
    -1.45 A18-34
    -2.28 W18-34
    -2.75 W12-34

The Lying Game (ABC Family, 9 PM)
    -0.65 A18-34 (-55%)
    -1.10 W18-34 (-52%)
    -1.63 W12-34 (-41%)

The Lying Game (ABC Family, 10 PM)
    -0.606 million viewers
    -0.20 A18-49
    -0.28 A18-34
    -0.49 W18-34
    -0.75 W12-34

I'm considering waiting to see the next ep. of TLG before reviewing, i'm not sure that pilot is a strong indication of the tone and direction the show is going....but comments by showrunner Charles Prart do seem to mirror the pilots content.

This is interesting...and i suspected this would happen, TLG slightly increased in overall viewers this week. It didn't drop....i had a feeling last weeks numbers might be the result of people not knowing about the show.

Ep. 2 was better, i thought Pasdar was good as the unihnged and slightly creepy uncle. Emma/Sutton + Ethan...major chemistry!

THE LYING GAME

- 0.48 A18-49 (tied exactly with last week)
    - 1.470 million total viewers

TLG was better last night then the pilot, Adrian Pasdar added a certain gravitas to the show, they’ve finally mentioned what The Lying Game is or at least was alll about, the characters of Mads and Char were more fleshed out, fake Sutton and Ethan have actually very good screen chemistry, loved them ballroom dancing.

As for numbers, adding 100k is good but it’s still a nail biting time for everyone on the show and ABCF, if the next 2/3 weeks don’t show DEMO improvement it’s curtains for Sutton and her sis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Still unsure about this show but it still has enough going for it for me to tune into the next episode, still not loving any of the characters though.

• Advertisement

lindtee wrote: »
    Still unsure about this show but it still has enough going for it for me to tune into the next episode, still not loving any of the characters though.

I'm also undecided thus far, but as you say it's got *just* about enough to warrant future viewing, my issue is it's too teen drama and not enough mystery. It's basically a glossy Gossip Girl type show with a minor tagged on PLL type mystery.

Chando is good, it's interesting to note she auditioned for Elena on TVD...she looks ALOT like Nina Dobrev! :eek:

I like Sutton's sis, least she's noticing the differences and sussing out fake Sutton, there needs to be more of the dangers of Emma slipping up and being sussed out as not being the real Sutton, also....they *need* to fully introduce the actual Lying Game, not just talk about what the girls did in the past....or, do a PLL and have past Lying Games come back to haunt the girls.

Thoughts on ep. 3?....awaiting ratings to post. [update]> The Lying Game had a 0.5 adults 18-49 rating, even with last week and 1.310 million avg. viewers, down 160,000 vs. last week.

^ this ain't good...ABCF ran a mini marathon after last weeks episode of PLL, they showed the first two eps. of TLG right after PLL. So this means those that sampled it didn't impact positively on TLG ratings, in fact it went down from last week....160,000 lost viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Great episode!

Alex stealing Sutton's laptop and planting it on Ethan :eek: I wonder what he got off it beforehand... The Lying Games... Their birth mother search data :confused:

The whole mystery about the women that was paid off to put her name on the birth certificate.. Emma should have ended up in Beverly Hills and her real birth mother apparently turning up on the doorstep taking back the child :confused::confused:

So many questions! Alec knows more than he's letting on...also jumping back to episode Two, what was the secret bewtween Alec and Ted :confused::confused:

Can't wait for the next episode, I'm really enjoying it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

OMG! Just started watching this last night. So good! :)

I've got most of the day off tomorrow so I'll check out the other episodes! :)

Ok, I just finished the last episode what will I do till the next one?!

Ok, I just finished the last episode what will I do till the next one?!

I have ep. 3/4 to watch...it's on my list for tonight along with Revenge....you should check that out Squeeky!

I have ep. 3/4 to watch...it's on my list for tonight along with Revenge....you should check that out Squeeky!

OOOH! I love having some free time between classes for some TV time. I'm teaching a drama class on desperate housewives and I've not watched it before I'm really enjoying it! :)

Asphyxia wrote: »
    Great episode!

Alex stealing Sutton's laptop and planting it on Ethan :eek: I wonder what he got off it beforehand... The Lying Games... Their birth mother search data :confused:

The whole mystery about the women that was paid off to put her name on the birth certificate.. Emma should have ended up in Beverly Hills and her real birth mother apparently turning up on the doorstep taking back the child :confused::confused:

So many questions! Alec knows more than he's letting on...also jumping back to episode Two, what was the secret bewtween Alec and Ted :confused::confused:

Can't wait for the next episode, I'm really enjoying it :D:D

Just watched ep. 3/4 there...yeah there is quite alot of info being handed out, it's moving along at quite a pace, and unlike PLL the answers are coming.

Clearly the adults are harbouring alot of secrets, especially Ted and Alec....clearly they had an illegal adoption of the twins, or i suspect perhaps Ted had an affair and Annie Hobbs got pregnant and alot of skullduggery went down.

Best part of ep. 4 was Laurel walking in on the video chat! :eek: - woah!, how close was Emma/Sutton to being busted? :eek:
    Mads doing the ballet teacher?...kinda saw that coming, then we have Nisha pulling an A and snaping stalky pics ;)

Lots of lying and shenannigans going on, the thing is though....i don't feel a sense of threat or urgency you get on PLL, you see scenes of Emma as Sutton almost being caught out or her personality/behaviour being different to real Sutton, but there is no sense of real threat of being exposed as a fake.

Also, the whole twins/adoption/mother story while moving along dosen't quite grip you as much as the PLL arch. I hope they have something in store, is there more to this?, a few twists would be nice. TLG is watchable...it's getting better as it goes along but it's not a patch on PLL.

The bigger issue is the MASSIVE differences between the books and the tv show, books spoilers...they change one huge thing from the books
    very early on Sutton gets killed
    whereas in this show Sutton is being shown alot, more then expected.

I thought they'd focus solely on Emma as Sutton but they are clearly doing a major revamp of the books, also....The Lying Games, this was CENTRAL to the books, whereas the show just has them as something the girls previously did.

Pasdar as the creepy DA is great, he's the best thing about the show....i think Chando is doing a good job as well playing two different characters. I love Laurel....she's sassy and funny, props to her for taking the fall for the stolen laptop. As for Mads and Char....they just seem like minions...they need to flesh these characters out more.

I'll definately watch all 10, ratings are still poor so don't expect any resolution by ep. 10 and expect cancellation.

• Advertisement

Half way point tomorrow, be very interesting to see how TLG performs in the ratings tomorrow, with no lead-in from TSLOTAT...it moves to Monday@8pm from tomorrow and will face Gossip Girl from episode 7 onwards.

Advertisement