Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help bit torrent on Clearwire

• 24-08-2006 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    Downloaded bittorrent and started using it. Using Clearwire as ISP. I got bit torrent working but its downloading really slow. Can someone please help me? Im not that computer literate so please keep it simple.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

If im not mistaken its against the clearwire terms of service. (probably am)

The should be posted in the net/comms -> net/comms (admin will move it)

Bittorrent is dependant on the torrents seeder numbers and there bandwidth plus if i was ur isp id be throttleing bittorrent down.

So there is very little that be can be done to improve prformance bar opening a port in your router which as far as i can see makes bugger all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Indeed... their router probably analyses the traffic and identifies bittorrent, regardless of the ports that you are using. You could try encrypting the torrents, this is supported in Azureus, and change to non-standard ports also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ozoner

I also have MacAfee firewall running but not window, i think i managed to open a port on that but its still really slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nagidamt

D/L utorrent. Then goto Options >Preferences >Network
    choose Protocol encryption enabled and dont allow incoming legacy connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

How slowly is slowly? Can you give a typical speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Nagidamt wrote:
    D/L utorrent. Then goto Options >Preferences >Network
    choose Protocol encryption enabled and dont allow incoming legacy connections.

Dude, seriously, thanks for this! Its the only things thats worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Yup I know there is a bloke in clearwire that specializes in blocking torrents.

Stick it to the man tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

i use clearwire and yup its true clearwire block all p2p traffic, and for a strange reason it slows down something terrible at the months end , at first i thought this to be me over going the download limit but i was barely on this month and the same thing is happening!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dagmar

BitTorrent no longer seems to have this option (v6.1.1)

Does anyone have any other advice on using torrents on blocked systems or have blocking tightened up?

I thought I was paying my ISP for using the internet. not just the bit they let me use?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dagmar wrote: »
    BitTorrent no longer seems to have this option (v6.1.1)
    The newest version of utorrent is 1.81, the newest version of Azureus/Vuze is 4.0.0.4 so you can't be using either of those. Use one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 laughin'joe

It's all got to do with your connectionm speed anything over 6mb is grand below is rather slow I had 6 mb and it was slow enough now I have 12mb and it's ok but only a certain times of the day mostly in the morning is good...maybe it's got to do with everyone trying to download the same thing as you ?????? who knows but I know for sure it's got to do with you DL speed.
    ozoner wrote: »
    Hi,
    Downloaded bittorrent and started using it. Using Clearwire as ISP. I got bit torrent working but its downloading really slow. Can someone please help me? Im not that computer literate so please keep it simple.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FlynTrout

Acceptable Use Policy

2. Excess Utilization of Network Resources.
    The excessive use or abuse of Clearwire’s network resources by one subscriber may have a negative impact on all other subscribers. Accordingly, you may not use the Service or take any action, directly or indirectly, that will result in excessive consumption or utilization of the system or network resources, or which may weaken network performance, as determined in Clearwire’s sole discretion. Such prohibited actions include, but are not limited to: using the Service to host a web server site which attracts excessive traffic at your location, continuously uploading or downloading streaming video or audio, usenet hosting, or continuous FTP uploading or downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A lot of what is mirrored on torrent sites is also mirrored on binary newsgroups. If you are having trouble with torrents and cannot fix your problem with Clearwire, you might look into getting access to Newsgroups with access to binaries..

Most providers provide SSL encrypted access.

I don't know what thread to point you to, this recent one springs to mind:

boards.ie > Biz > Consumer > Bargain Alerts >

Usenet Deal 11Dollars

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055514225

---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Utorrent is definatly the best,Bittorent caved in about two years ago to pressure from copyright owners.Pirate bay owners have been given a hugh fine and a year in prison in Sweden,EU legislation is on the way to disconnect from torrent sites,France for one has almost backed it by legislation,it is a done deal,just the wording needs some changes to get through parliment,in Ireland eircom has accepted a 3 strikes and your out for pirate sites,an email warning,a written warning,then a ban.

So enjoy it while ya can,the Murdochs&Berlisconi etc can make or break a politicion with their vast ownership of the media.

I promise ya,ll filesharing days coming to an end:(

solution=move to Canada the only Country I know of were the top judges told the various objectors to go to hell!

lots of documentrys on Canadion torrent sites about Moose,snow&maple leafs :D (kidding)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ynotdu wrote: »
    Utorrent is definatly the best,Bittorent caved in about two years ago to pressure from copyright owners.

But BitTorrent bought uTorrent, so they now effectly the same company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

But BitTorrent bought uTorrent, so they now effectly the same company

thats true but bittorent bought it on a hands off basis,check it out on download.com.things are moving so quick now in the world of torrents it may not still/remain the same though fcuk it:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

first off this thread is three years old, second off we have a P2P thread for this stuff
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334444

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement