Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Shopping Centre

• 20-07-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

Well, I've put off the event off for years.

Having once worked in Dundrum 20 years ago, I ventured out today to check out Dundrum shopping centre.

Holy sh*te. I was like the Mammon mothership had landed in a small Southern Dublin Suberb and was proceeding to eat up the environs. John Carpenter would have been inspired.

I've been to the Bullring in Birmingham which at least does try and make aesthetic amends to it's former facility as a major hub-Royal Mail depot, but the Dundrum Shopping centre is something else again.

It's the 'f*ck you' of the Celtic Tiger ethos writ-large in prefab-concrete. Shoe-horned into the formed Pye-Centre is has, like Saturn, devoured it's children and gobbled up several neighbouring environs.

I'll be back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Dublin City

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

hardly customer issue tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Having once worked in Dundrum 20 years ago, I ventured out today to check out Dundrum shopping centre.

Holy sh*te. I was like the Mammon mothership had landed in a small Southern Dublin Suberb and was proceeding to eat up the environs. John Carpenter would have been inspired.

I've been to the Bullring in Birmingham which at least does try and make aesthetic amends to it's former facility as a major hub-Royal Mail depot, but the Dundrum Shopping centre is something else again.

It's the 'f*ck you' of the Celtic Tiger ethos writ-large in prefab-concrete. Shoe-horned into the formed Pye-Centre is has, like Saturn, devoured it's children and gobbled up several neighbouring environs.

I'll be back.
    You didn't go to the pub on your way home by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I worked there for 3 years and the place seems to get smaller and smaller as you spend more time there..... we had people in every day asking us how to get to some place including an exit!! Its a cool place though! I loved saying i worked there although it's been attracting a not so nice crowd the last year which is dragging the place down sadly! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've been there once and I absoluely hated it, felt very claustrophobic and badly laid out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

My OH and I went there once in winter. It was bloody cold so I was wearing a hat and he had his hood up. A security guy came up to us and told him that he had to either take down his hood or leave. Shocking! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I'll be back.

Dundrum Shopping Centre is the old shopping centre across from the Bank of Ireland and the shops.

Dundrum Town Centre is the new shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

phasers wrote: »
    I've been there once and I absoluely hated it, felt very claustrophobic and badly laid out.

It is a bit small; All the shops are very close together. There's loads of them, which is a good thing, but if there was more space between them, it'd be more comfortable for shoppers.

Although, I'm pretty sure 90% of people who shop there would rather have less space and more shops, if given the choice :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I didn't like the place personally, there's nothing really there for a man such as myself. I went to the cinema once too and it's really quite poor compared to the likes of Vue in Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

As someone who grew up in Dundrum/Sandyford, I can't stand to go back there now. I genuinely don't recognise the place. What was once a nice, quiet suburb is now a wasteland of concrete and apartment buildings with that hulking relic of the celtic tiger at the epicentre. Property developers tore down my childhood, basically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Been there once before. Really, every single person is a clone of the stereotypical D4 Ugg boot/ Orange faced/ Backcombed brigade. Mixed with over crowding and rudeness to boot. That was 3 years ago, haven't bothered heading back since. There are no shops there that arean't anywhere else. Except maybe the toy one. I might head along to look at that sometime if I can be bothered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I quite like it :(
    The restaurants, cinema and penneys are great!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The problem with the new town centre is that the original shopping centre built in 1971, lasted about 34 years and is now redundant. It might seem like a long time, but Pembroke Cottages (for example) were built in 1881 and are still in use today and form the last vestiges of the old village.

It just seems a shame to demolish so much for such a short bit of distraction...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

They do have a great Pennys, all the nice stuff seems to get shipped out there compared to likes of Blanch or Mary Street.. Good selection of restaurants aswel.. That Fangos place is a bit of a rip off though, I tend to avoid it when I'm out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,880 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

When you get down to it, there's not as much choice of shops as you'd think: plenty of them sell the same stuff, or the same kind of stuff. Case in point: how many fashion shops are there? How many do you need?

Also (and probably to be expected) it's choc-full of chain stores. I liked Dundrum, ten years ago, when it had four book shops, for example. Now, it has one. Eason's, and it's crap.

And the coffee shops are absolute RIP-OFFS!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I was going out with a scruffy anarchist when it first opened. We took a trip up there one day and he started hyperventilating and had to go outside for fresh air.He said he couldn't stand another minute in such a mecca of consumerism and capitalism! :)

Me,I love the Pennys in there. It always has all the new styles. Boots there is great too. I find it cheaper going to Dundrum then the city centre as the parkings only €2 for three hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dundrum Shopping Centre is the old shopping centre across from the Bank of Ireland and the shops.

Dundrum Town Centre is the new shopping centre.

I apologise - perhaps I made a Freudian slip confusing the two names?

Dundrum already had a Town Centre before the current shopping monstrosity went up. To me the old Shopping Centre was in the town centre, or perhaps I'm just confused because I'm a Northsider.
    DecentBee wrote:
    As someone who grew up in Dundrum/Sandyford, I can't stand to go back there now. I genuinely don't recognise the place. What was once a nice, quiet suburb is now a wasteland of concrete and apartment buildings with that hulking relic of the celtic tiger at the epicentre. Property developers tore down my childhood, basically.

I totally agree. What's been built there recently is totally unsympathetic to its environs. At least Blanchardstown SC and Liffey Valley were put on green field sites far away enough from nearby villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AineB

I live pretty close by and hate going over there - unless I need something urgently. Blanchardstown shopping centre all the way! Liffey Valley is a pile of crap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Pull and Bear and Bershka are the only two shops I'd visit when I'm there as I like that type of clothing but they have those in town anyway so I amn't too pushed about visiting the place to be honest, I find Liffey Valley much nice actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I've never set foot inside it, but I dropped the missus off there a few months back (she was meeting friends to go to a restaurant). Not knowing the layout of the place, or where the place was, we ended up in the car park, where I dropped herself into the centre and proceeded to the exit. Like an eejit, I had assumed that the parking was free up to a certain limit like most shopping centres, but ended up having to shell out for the privilege of spending two minutes in the car park. Fuckers. Lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i think dundrum is great!!

if you have been in mahon point in cork you will understand, dundrum it about 10 times bigger, a much better selection of shops, and places for guys to shop,

what i think is terrible is when you leave the m50 on the left hand side you have old housing estates then on the right those giant apartment blocks that had two bed apartments for €450k:eek:
    it looks terrible,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I like going to the flicks out there. I live SCR and it's a very handy drive out later in the evening. Handy cheap parking at that time.

Seldom use it for shopping and whenever I do I'm always left feeling scared of people. There's a certain type of hair-do that young women out there have. It's very long, kinda dirty looking and scraggly and tied back in the most unflattering way. This do gives me the heeby-jeebies. It's also very common in Castlenock. I avoid Castlenock for this (and other) reasons.

The theatre is very good too...ahem, ahem..I built it...ahem, ahem...so it must be good...ahem.

But on the whole it is a great big mothership of shlt, stock full of gaelgor mummies and their annoying little Saoirses brushing their hair into spooky shapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Never got the image as Dundrum as a real posh spot, the amount of scangers or wannabes (don't stick around to find out) hanging around outside McDonalds is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i prefer blanch or liffey valley, I dont understand the likes of river island and bt2 not having menswear sections when they do everywhere else-pisses me off!

good restaurant selection though,nandos/the counter-yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭stepinnman

WindSock wrote: »
    Been there once before. Really, every single person is a clone of the stereotypical D4 Ugg boot/ Orange faced/ Backcombed brigade.

I like to call these creatures 'Ugglettes' - One of the last vestiges of the Celtic Tiger. A species that seems to live exclusively in Dundrum Shopping Centre and outside most McDonalds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Great spot for 'milf spotting' tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I find Blanch is way betterfor shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭coletti

It is a bit small; All the shops are very close together. There's loads of them, which is a good thing, but if there was more space between them, it'd be more comfortable for shoppers.

Although, I'm pretty sure 90% of people who shop there would rather have less space and more shops, if given the choice :pac:

I thought Dundrum SC was one of the biggest shopping centres in Europe? Its a bit small compared to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

coletti wrote: »
    I thought Dundrum SC was one of the biggest shopping centres in Europe? Its a bit small compared to what?
    It is? It feels tiny.

Blanch and Liffey Valley feel much bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

DecentBee wrote: »
    And before the Dundrum Town Center it was a wasteland!
    Super Crazy Prices had a lovely store that was very eye catching. Oh and the Pye center was a thing of great beauty. Not!
    The location of the Dundrum Town Center is on what was a complete dump. A halting site would have been an improvement.

Advertisement