Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - Cabin Baggage Allowance

• 15-06-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

Hi,

Ryan Air cabin allowance is currently 55cmxx40cmxx20cm..... Does anyone know where I can buy a bag fitting these dimensions that does not weigh to much?

Just back from a flight and had they were checking the bag sizes, all boarding passengers had to fit their bags into the measuring thing they use. Had a struggle to get my current hand luggage in, and an even bigger one getting it out! I just made it, but life would be easier if I had the right bag.
    Anyone know where to get one?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭ronaneire

I noticed this too, what are they going to do if your bag won't fit in? As they only check as you leave to board the plane. I can't see them sending you back.
    But in fairness about time too, I have seen ppl board with rucksacks and suitcases when it's meant to be "hand luggage".

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

if your bag does not fit in, you have to pay to bring it on board. same if its overweight. i agree lots of people bring huge bags and took the p1ss. mine just fitted, and i was under the 10kg weight allowance.

i spent more time worrying about weight than the dimensions, as usually im just weighed. i really want the right sized bag as im heading to london with ryan air later this year, and also amsterdam. life will just be easier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've always carried a bag about this size which would never actually fit in the thing they use to check the measurements but I still get on no questions asked.

sportsBag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I have one of these: http://www.click4luggage.co.uk/acatalog/Delsey_Jungle_Urban_55cm_Cabin-Weekend_Duffle.html

A bit pricey, but if you take alot of short haul flights, it's money well spent. Delivered mine to the UK and saved on postage costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cruisy

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/RECEPT%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/RECEPT%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]I found a great bag in the States, looks a bit like this one:

http://www.packinglight.net/plight/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Rick+Steves+21-inch+Drop+Bottom+Duffel&pf_id=PAAAAALDHEEOLGGG&dept_id=3071

made by Columbia. One of the few carry on bags that doesnt have the wheels, but has back pack style straps instead, much lighter I think..

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Went to Stansted recently with a new Argos trolley suitcase, it's pretty much exactly Ryanair's dimensions and was a mere 16.79. Its product no. is 286/1962.

Two zip sections on the front for sticking documents in and fits perfectly into Ryanair's own cabin baggage frame things.

What's even better is that it's quite light; just under 2kg, leaving 8kg for your stuff. Stansted's own security weighed it as they were turning away loads of cabin bags, it was 9.65kg even with four changes of clothes, runners, 2 DVD boxsets and some magazines.

Only downside is that it's not too balanced, so it'll fall over easily if you don't keep a good hold of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

irish_goat wrote: »
    I've always carried a bag about this size which would never actually fit in the thing they use to check the measurements but I still get on no questions asked.

sportsBag.jpg

Yep me too. Thing is because it's soft it'll squash in to the measuring thingys they use no problem, and you still get a decent load of stuff in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cruisy

Am worried now after that stansted post, i'm over and back a lot and always have slightly over 10kg ...rebel that I am. :rolleyes: Better watch it, thanks for the warning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Went to Stansted recently with a new Argos trolley suitcase, it's pretty much exactly Ryanair's dimensions and was a mere 16.79. Its product no. is 286/1962.

Thanks for that, will pick up those.

Flying with them next week and got this yest.

=======================================
    Please note the following important information regarding cabin baggage:

• Strictly one item of cabin baggage is permitted per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (your handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc. must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage).

Click here for further information

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=cabinbaggageallowance

• IMPORTANT - If you arrive at the boarding gate with more than one item of cabin baggage or if the item exceeds the maximum permitted dimensions or weight, we reserve the right to either refuse carriage of the item or where available airport staff may charge a fee of Euro30/GBP 30 to check the bag into the hold of the aircraft. If you are unsure if your cabin bag complies with our maximum permitted cabin bag weight and dimensions, please check with the staff at the Bag Drop Desk, before going through security.

• Cabin baggage must contain no prohibited items – click below for details

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=prohibiteditems

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I was on a flight from Poland last week where most of the people had carry on luggage and the flight was booked out. There was not enough room in the luggage compartments to hold everyones luggage despite the Nazi esque attitude by the terminal staff on luggage size etc. Several people had to sit with luggage at their feet. In the event of an accident there would have been chaos as the people who could not stow their luggage were predominantly on the aisle seats. How the hell someone in the window seats was supposed to clamber over the baggage is beyond me. I think we will see more and more of this with ryanairs policies to get us to only bring cabin baggage. Seriously though, can you imagine sitting for 3 hours with a bag at your feet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Im flying with ryaniar to germany soon. Just wondering would I be able to carry on a tent or need to check it in. Is it worth risking with the stakes for holding the tent down?

Slunk wrote: »
    Im flying with ryaniar to germany soon. Just wondering would I be able to carry on a tent or need to check it in. Is it worth risking with the stakes for holding the tent down?

you'll def have to check that in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

M5 wrote: »
    you'll def have to check that in

agreed. no chance of getting that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

OK, also is it much hassle now to check a bag with ryaniar now they have no desks?

Slunk wrote: »
    OK, also is it much hassle now to check a bag with ryaniar now they have no desks?

Nah, its a breeze, same as before, you still go to the desk etc.... If you have checked in online before its much the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

i presume you can bring plugs on cabin luggage? :p:pac:

cork*girl wrote: »
    i presume you can bring plugs on cabin luggage? :p:pac:

I think i brought some without any hassle, you wont be allowed anything with an electrical cable though surely?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You can take electrical cables. How do you think people recharge their laptops when travelling with only carry on otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I have a potentially stupid question regarding the Ryan Air baggage measurements and i apologise in advance!! my bag measures, (standing up) 54cm high 36cm wide and 18 cm deep, which looks like its just under RA strict rules, (although they dont say which measurement is H, D & W)these measurements dont include the handle or the little legs that the bag stands on, can i assume that its OK given how strict they are? I'm flying to france on thursday and the other bag i have is considerably smaller..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

M5 wrote: »
    I was on a flight from Poland last week where most of the people had carry on luggage and the flight was booked out. There was not enough room in the luggage compartments to hold everyones luggage despite the Nazi esque attitude by the terminal staff on luggage size etc. Several people had to sit with luggage at their feet. In the event of an accident there would have been chaos as the people who could not stow their luggage were predominantly on the aisle seats. How the hell someone in the window seats was supposed to clamber over the baggage is beyond me. I think we will see more and more of this with ryanairs policies to get us to only bring cabin baggage. Seriously though, can you imagine sitting for 3 hours with a bag at your feet?

Meh, I usually sit with my bag under my feet anyway, as I'm sick to death of people who get on after me forcing their heavy suitcases where there's no space for them and damaging my stuff. I'd rather sit for three hours with my bag than get off the plane to discover food I'd brought as a present in bits and all my make-up broken. Really annoying when you're the one who has followed the rules and not brought on a 15 kg hard suitcase as 'hand baggage', but I like my stuff to be in one piece!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

How strict are they on baggage dimensions, i have a wheelie case with the width and depth just under their requirements but its 60 cm long, do they measure the length as well and is this strictly enforced or will they let it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

It must fit in the metal frame. If it does not fit then it goes into the hold and they will charge you.

Just get a bag which is within their specifications inc wheels/handles and you will be fine.

There really is no issue here if you follow the instructions instead of asking what if`s and will I get away with it unless you are willing to have to pay at the gate and then wait for it to come round the baggage belt at your destination.

If you stick to the rules then there are no questions, no stress and no arguments with gate staff when they tell you your bag is too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peteandjenn

I know this is a old post but I'll see what happens.

We are traveling with ryanair soon and decided to go down the hand luggage route too to save a few bob. The ryanair dimensions state 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, so I went looking for two bags with those dimensions and most bags were either way too big or way too small. I did get two bags in Dunnes Store measuring 60cm x 40cm x 20cm. I know the first measurement is 5cm too big (50mm) but I think I'll risk it. What do ye think?

I know the bag must fit into that thing at the airport and it will no problem but my worry would be if they are too strict on the overall length of the bag. 50mm isn't too much, if it was alot more I would understand.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It doesn't matter how "little" over it is: with Ryanair if it's over, it's over and if they see fit to charge you, you will have no choice but to pay if you want to travel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was on a Ryanair flight last night and they had two women at the door checking luggage.

Also, they walk up and down the queue so if you're borderline too big it's best not to stand in the queue, just be last on the plane or get priority boarding.

As for the 5cm, I think you'll be fine from what I saw last night, as long as people could get them in they didn't seem too bothered about how much was poking out the top. But you never know who you're going to get on the day. If you get someone on a bad day you'll have to pay 30 or 35 per person.

dory wrote: »
    I was on a Ryanair flight last night and they had two women at the door checking luggage.

Also, they walk up and down the queue so if you're borderline too big it's best not to stand in the queue, just be last on the plane or get priority boarding.

As for the 5cm, I think you'll be fine from what I saw last night, as long as people could get them in they didn't seem too bothered about how much was poking out the top. But you never know who you're going to get on the day. If you get someone on a bad day you'll have to pay 30 or 35 per person.

Thanks Dory. I was thinking the same. I might risk it alright as the bags aren't massive. I have also seen people getting on board with huge bags taking up all the space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Having flown on 17 different flights over the last 4 months I have literally thrashed both my suitcase and carryon, handles are loose and the leg has fallen off one. I just got a simple set in Argos but I will buy Samsonite next time as they really are the best quality and a good investment if you plan to travel often.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭irishbrain

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2863881/Trail/searchtext%3ESUITCASE.htm

Would anybody be able to tell me if this would be OK to take on Ryanair as cabin baggage?

Thanks!

irishbrain wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2863881/Trail/searchtext%3ESUITCASE.htm

Would anybody be able to tell me if this would be OK to take on Ryanair as cabin baggage?

Thanks!

Ryanair cabin baggage allowance is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm so that bag would have no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

I find soft bags are better,..give them a few thumps & they fit into any shape,..
    we got 2 of the £9.99 bags in the link below & they are the exact size ryanair allow. ebay link

Advertisement