Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job with religious organisation?

• 01-05-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

I'm not religious, and I've just been called for interview for an Admin intern role with a Catholic organisation

Can religious organisations discriminate against staff on religious grounds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

unreggd wrote: »
    I'm not religious, and I've just been called for interview for an Admin intern role with a Catholic organisation

a bunch of lads dressed in black, going around telling people how to live their lives. sounds like a bit of fascism to me. or maybe a cult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

unreggd wrote: »

being serious though, no they cant. or they would be in trouble, the same as everyone else. its not like they are asking you to say mass or anything, are they.

dont worry about it, they might want you based on your CV alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Although it may well have a Catolic ethos it doesn't mean there will be mass said every morning before work .
    Most people assume the Irish Catholic newspaper is published by the Church - nothing of the sort in fact , it's published by a profit-making commercial publisher that doesn't give a fiddlers about the religion of the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

They cannot discriminate against you, but on the flip-side you'll have to bear in mind the general ethos of the organisation and if you'd be a good fit for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

They cannot discriminate against you, but on the flip-side you'll have to bear in mind the general ethos of the organisation and if you'd be a good fit for them.
    This! I now attend a different Christian church but still do the odd bit of secretarial / reception work for my old Catholic parish church, and the full time secretary there is also a non-Catholic. As long as you're not undermining the ethos of the organisation, there shouldn't be an issue.
    Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Theoretically they can't discriminate against you but the fact of the matter is that it is likely that such an organisation will positively discriminate in favour of another candidate.

Think of it this way- the organisation has a Catholic ethos. Now lets imagine that there are two candidates who are equally matched in skill sets and experience and both impress equally at interview. However one of them wore a crucifix at the interview and states in their hobbies and interests on their CV that they walked the Camino de Santiago trek in 2011 and they enjoy visiting Lourdes. Now who do you think will get offered the job ?

Discrimination might be legislated for but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It is just more likely to manifest itself as positive discrimination than negative. It is a lot more subtle these days as to be otherwise would be breaking the law, but it does still go on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

If you were raised a Catholic just let on that you're still a practising catholic and go to mass on a semi regular basis.

I'm an atheist but I would have no problems whatsoever engaging in such a deceit if I thought it would get me a job.

If this is the difference between feeding your family aldi brand cornflakes for dinner or roast beef, then you'd be satanic to follow any other course of action!

Advertisement