Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stop Signing Me Out!!

• 03-11-2008 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Recently i keep getting automatically signed out.. I'd just view the next page or to back to a forum and then the page would come back up in the Original Blue background.. so i'd have to log in again...
    a small point but it annoys me no end!
    I'd understand if I had left the computer, made a cup of tea and sat back down again, but this can happen as i read 5-6 pages of a thread..
    Is there a way to keep me logged in for one session?
    I dont want to be signed in all the time as i'm on a family computer and i suspect that my brother secretly reads the Motors section of Boards, and boards quite often appears in Google searches so i dont really want family reading everything i post..
    Is this a new feature or are the mods having a laugh signing me out and forcing me to sign back in..??
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Click the remember me box and log out when you're finished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

It's been happening to me a little bit lately, kinda annoying but not really a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Not going to work Alanstrainor, as i'd be on the internet, my msn pops up telling me i have an email notification from Boards, so i'd log in but then i could get kicked off the computer 5 mins later as my father uses the computer for his work.. i wouldnt remember to log out!

Just got signed out.. did someone just play me?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mods can't log you out, it's just your cookies expiring. The only way around it that I can think of is to tick the remember me box but as you point out that isn't always practical.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

KatCookie wrote: »
    Not going to work Alanstrainor, as i'd be on the internet, my msn pops up telling me i have an email notification from Boards, so i'd log in but then i could get kicked off the computer 5 mins later as my father uses the computer for his work.. i wouldnt remember to log out!

Just got signed out.. did someone just play me?
    There's no way to keep yourself logged in without clicking the 'remember me' button. You'll just have to get used to being logged out the whole time, or else remember to logout when you're done.

If you use firefox, there's a setting to clear cookies at the end of each session that could be helpful to you, either.

• Advertisement

Nah, i'm using your basic Internet Explorer on XP

Is this a recent thing? because i've never noticed this before..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This has been happening to me too. It happens randomly, it's not me getting logged out after 10 minutes or whatever of inactivity. I could be actively clicking through threads and all of a sudden I notice I'm logged out.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No, it just depends on how long the cookies last before expiring. I don't really get it too well myself, but I used to have trouble on my work computer with it. It's annoying, but you'll get really fast at typing your password.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It's happening to me too, using firefox.

No, it just depends on how long the cookies last before expiring. I don't really get it too well myself, but I used to have trouble on my work computer with it. It's annoying, but you'll get really fast at typing your password.

I just got logged out 3 times in 1 minute. That's not normal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

use the remember me button and log out when you're finished.

make sure you are using 'boards.ie' as against 'www.boards.ie'.
    Same problem happens with phpbb and other forum software when the cookies aren't configured, and people put the www. behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

This is happening to me a lot over the past few days too on both Firefox and IE, same as Faith described, and I've never had to log out/use the remeber me button beofre :confused:

i'm using Boards.ie.. thought it redirected itself anyways..
    Why are the cookies expiring so quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Same happening to me with Firefox 3. It's not just boards though, all me 'remember me' things aren't working. Right pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yep, been finding it logging me out a lot quicker recently than usual. when you have the 40 posts a page thing on, in the time it takes to read one page, im often logged out again.
    only hte last couple of weeks it's been doing it... surely something must have happened, seeing as nothing's been changed on my computer, and other people are experiencing it too? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Same happening to me with Firefox 3. It's not just boards though, all me 'remember me' things aren't working. Right pain in the arse.
    This indeed seems to be a problem with FF3. Boards is fine for me, but a lot of other sites' cookies aren't held no matter what I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I wonder if BossArky gets logged out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

This is happening a huge amount to me lately too. There are certain posts I've been trying to thank, and every time I do so I get logged out. I tried to edit a post twice a short while ago and it wouldn't let me each time because I got automatically logged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah I noticed that this was happening a lot to me lately. It started to annoy me so I just started using the "remember me" option and clearing the cookies in Firefox (Ctrl+Shift+Del) when I was finished with my session. It's fairly handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭DenMan

Happens here as well too. Using Firefox. Not sure why it happens. May be an error in the HTML code or a browser bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

even just signing in, going to subscribed threads, clicking on them to open in new tabs...

and they open signed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

nkay1985 wrote: »
    and clearing the cookies in Firefox (Ctrl+Shift+Del) when I was finished with my session.

Can also configure FF to do this automatically (well, on prompt) in Tools/Options/Privacy when you close the session, in case you forget.

(Not worth starting a new thread so i'll bump my own..)

This problem is absolutely dire!
    I had to sign in at least 6 times while trying to post a single post! -and it wasnt even a long post!
    Has it got something to do with this being a busy time? It doesnt seem to happen later or earlier in the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Same thing is happening to me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Limerick City forum seems to be causing automatic log-out. I'm not having trouble on any other forum, but the links there (including Thanks, Quote and Reply) are proving troublesome over the past day or two. This week I've been mostly eating using Internet Explorer.

/edit

Ok, now it's happening with Soccer and Feedback as well. Not cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Keeps happening to me and I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

OK, so I'm still having this problem with:
    Win Vista, FF3, home, other home, café and college networks
    Win 2000, FF1.5, college network

Any idea what the problem is, it's very annoying.

It seems to be a firefox problem. I'm CONSTANTLY getting logged out at the moment, especially when I'm in private forums, but I was fine with Safari.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Happening to me a lot for weeks now. At the moment, happening every few seconds. Always on IE - I don't use anything else.

And also, sometimes if I try to thank a post, it doesn't register... but it DOES log me out.

Ticking the "remember me" box doesn't make any difference.

Advertisement