Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due January/February 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hey,
    a quick question. due to pains early on and brown discharge on and off ive had 3 scans and was offered another one for this thur just to make sure and to thoroughly check everything. i am due my normal one on the 8th of july. i am really nervous. i am 11 weeks 4 days today and worried that so many scans could somehow hurt the baby. but i couldnt take the risk of not having it in case it could tell that something is wrong. just looking for peoples views. hope everything is still ok. i was fine until they offered the scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

red i assume your getting the scans done in the same place, and if so i'm sure they'd tell you if your having to many. thurs is only two days away and this place is good for advice and reading peoples stories.the best thing you can do is when your up there on thurs ask them about the amount of scans you can have. we went to a local place to have an eight week scan. when that was over the doctor said we didn't need anymore with her and to make our twelve week with a maternity hospital which happens to be this day week. if the truth be known. after hearing the heart beats i wouldn't mind sending kit off to have weekly scans done just so i could hear them each time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Thanks Rylie, all is well today! :D So im officially the most pregnant ive ever been :o
    Really dying for my scan on monday to make sure there is a little heartbeat there.....:eek:

Red - ive never heard of any evidence to suggest that scans cause any harm to mother or baby, and if it were me....id get the scan...i know that the reassurance it would give me would greatly reduce my stress levels which in turn can only be good for the baby?! I think if i could afford it...id be a scanaholic!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sunray123

Hi all. how is everybody? im 6 weeks now and feel great, only my boobs, actually more nipples are little sore. and somtimes weel some small pain in a stomach.that all so far.im going to see some doctor today and hope that i get what i need...to sing up them and can start my precnancy as everybody else:)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Hi! I'm over 14 weeks now, all good. Not sick at all which is great, some days I nearly forget i'm pregnant!

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies. going for the scan tomorrow because if i dont ill blame myself if i could have prevented somethin. im feeling pretty ok the last few days. nausea on and off but much more manageable. ill be 12 weeks fri so really hopin everythin is fine tomorrow. ill let yas know. fingers crossed.

congrats on bein 14 weeks. must be excited to be that far! :)

thanks, yes it's good alright, but it's really not the same as the first time, running round after a 1.5 year old means I don't have as much time to think about this baby. The weeks do seem to be going faster this time!

Good luck with your scan tomorrow, hope all goes well.

Cottontail wrote: »
    thanks, yes it's good alright, but it's really not the same as the first time, running round after a 1.5 year old means I don't have as much time to think about this baby. The weeks do seem to be going faster this time!

Good luck with your scan tomorrow, hope all goes well.

Thanks. il post when i get home. hopefully all will be good!

yeh i was wondering how do you do it when you already have a child. deal with your tiredness, nausea and with your little person aswell!! maybe when you have one to look after you dont have as much time to feel the tiredness or something.

Thanks. il post when i get home. hopefully all will be good!

yeh i was wondering how do you do it when you already have a child. deal with your tiredness, nausea and with your little person aswell!! maybe when you have one to look after you dont have as much time to feel the tiredness or something.

Luckily I'm not nearly as sick or tired as I was with the first. I don't know how I'd manage if I was. Plus, I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful husband to help, I don't know how I'd do it without him! It can be tiring at times though but it will all be worth it!

Cottontail wrote: »
    Luckily I'm not nearly as sick or tired as I was with the first. I don't know how I'd manage if I was. Plus, I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful husband to help, I don't know how I'd do it without him! It can be tiring at times though but it will all be worth it!

thats good. a bit of help goes along way. ive been so tired and nauseous at times i havnt been able to cook or clean. only for my husband the place would be a tip!! hes also good at positive thinking :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

12 weeks today Yipppppeeeeeee! :D:D:D

Hope everyone is doing well, good luck tomoro Redfraggle

x

Quins5 wrote: »
    12 weeks today Yipppppeeeeeee! :D:D:D

Hope everyone is doing well, good luck tomoro Redfraggle

x

thanks a million.

congrats on being 12 weeks!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

Good luck today red fraggle!

Cottontail congrats on being 14 weeks, I've a busy (crazy) toddler as well and I'm finding this time around sooooo much harder!

Quins5 12 weeks- ya lucky duck!

I'm not sure what to do about telling work- I'm 100% showing, not just "has rylie put on a couple of pounds" but proper, sticky outy belly showing :eek: Should I just tell them now or wait till after my scan next week? I havent a hope of getting to 12 weeks without someone asking if I've any news :o
    I'm amazed how quickly I've popped this time around, cottontail are you finding the same or is it just me?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Very best of luck today Red Fraggle...hope everything goes okay xx

hey guys,

I had my scan and it showed everythin was fine with the baby.:D it was kicking like a right one!:D i wasnt expecting so much movement and its gotten so big! soooo happy. might tell the family tomorrow as i will be 12 weeks then. was gona wait til next week but i duno now.

well according to todays scan i could be 12 weeks 4 days today! but i know myself thats not really right i think 12 weeks tomorrow is pretty much bang on. so excited. gona try stop worrying now! she said usually brown discharge is my body dealing with the change and pink would be the baby.

thanks for all the supportive msgs. im glad my husband told me about this place. its so good to be able to share! :)

rylie wrote: »
    Good luck today red fraggle!

Cottontail congrats on being 14 weeks, I've a busy (crazy) toddler as well and I'm finding this time around sooooo much harder!

Quins5 12 weeks- ya lucky duck!

I'm not sure what to do about telling work- I'm 100% showing, not just "has rylie put on a couple of pounds" but proper, sticky outy belly showing :eek: Should I just tell them now or wait till after my scan next week? I havent a hope of getting to 12 weeks without someone asking if I've any news :o
    I'm amazed how quickly I've popped this time around, cottontail are you finding the same or is it just me?!

No, i'm still quite small, but then I didn't get too big at all when expecting number 1. I'll be 15 weeks tomorrow but with clothes on you'd hardly even notice!

hey guys,

I had my scan and it showed everythin was fine with the baby.:D it was kicking like a right one!:D i wasnt expecting so much movement and its gotten so big! soooo happy. might tell the family tomorrow as i will be 12 weeks then. was gona wait til next week but i duno now.

well according to todays scan i could be 12 weeks 4 days today! but i know myself thats not really right i think 12 weeks tomorrow is pretty much bang on. so excited. gona try stop worrying now! she said usually brown discharge is my body dealing with the change and pink would be the baby.

thanks for all the supportive msgs. im glad my husband told me about this place. its so good to be able to share! :)

That's great news, congrats!! It's lovely to see them kicking about! Not so nice when they're bigger and kicking you in the kidneys though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You cant back out on it now woman. We are telling people tomorrow. PLEASE.

I knew that you would find this place a help.

Thanks to all you girls that have given advice and answers to her questions.

Yay! That is fantastic news Red Fraggle, what a worrying time it's been for you. I'm so glad everything's okay. Bet you can't wait to tell people now :D

thanks hannibal and cottontail!!!

i look forward to feeling the kicks in the kidneys! ;)

really looking forward to telling people now. i think our families will explode. it will be the first grandchild and great grandchild on my side!!! my husband has wanted to tell people since we found out so he will be extra excited!!

• Advertisement

haahaa, I look forward to the 'grrr baby had me awake at 3 in the morning kicking the bejaysus out of me' posts :D

haahaa, I look forward to the 'grrr baby had me awake at 3 in the morning kicking the bejaysus out of me' posts :D

yeah im sure there will be plenty of them!:rolleyes: right now the baby is making me feel sick all day. Last night we had a visitor and i had to run to get sick out the window. (we live in a mobile so i could get right out there!) i think baby was telling me it doesnt like apples as id just had one and thats all that came up! happy times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Hooray! Thats great news red fraggle you must be over the moon!
    Ya I couldnt keep it in anymore and blurted it out at work yest, they were all soo happy!
    Enjoy the excitement!
    x:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

Yay red fraggle, that's great news!

Thanks for the reply cottontail- it must be just me so :o really didn't think I'd show this early!

How is everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Feb12

Had scan yesterday afternoon and consultant confirmed I am about seven and a half weeks pregnant. Was such a relief to hear that - not out of the woods yet and trying not to get v. excited but failing! Because of the previous miscarriages, I will get a scan yesterday two weeks and yesterday four weeks - didn't expect so many but delighted about that. Doc was showing the place on the u/s where the baby was but I couldn't see it - he asked me if I was doing a "Rachel"!! Gave us two photos and everything although to me still looks like a blur. Hubby could see it no problem! I already have a belly so it will be a miracle if I don't start getting questions in the coming weeks - hard to hide it and at almost eight weeks, didn't expect that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MiMi P

Hi ladies,

Logged on today and I'm smiling reading the posts from yesterday and today!!!! I'll be twelve weeks tomorrow and it seems such a huge milestone to reach.... we have only grandparents told yet and are trying to hold out another few weeks to tell everyone else but it's tough;) I'm finally starting to show - I never carry a tummy but there is definitely one there now - I can really notice it when I'm going swimming - think it may be time for a new cossie!!!! Most of the sickness and tiredness is gone but am still eating like a horse and my thighs are showing the effect!!!! Meeting the gynae on Weds so another scan - it will be interesting to see if there have been many changes in the last fortnight. I think the good weather is definitely helping my mood as i seem much more positive this week - Enjoy the weekend ladies - I've a feeling it's going to be a great one!!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Red-B

Hi everyone and Congratulations. I just found out last week that we're pregnant. I still can't believe it as we've been trying for 2 years. I'm afraid that it's just too good to be true. I was at my doc on Monday and she told me that i'm in very early stages. Technically 5 weeks (going on the date of last period) but she said i'm actuallly only 3 weeks gone so due Feb 29th....i'm looking at this as a good luck thing!!!
    Because i've been going through fertility treatment she said that i'm a high risk case (more chance of miscarriage and multiple pregnancy) so told me that I should go back to my consultant at 7 weeks for a scan to make sure everything's ok and in the meantime to take it easy. She also asked me if I wanted to go public or private. Have any of you gone private and can you tell me what I can expect? I'm thinking I should, seen as i'm a high risk case but does that mean i don't go back to my own GP and just stick with my consultant, or do I go to both. I'm seriously clueless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Okay, here's what I've gotten from my research.Now, this is assuming that you have the standard amount of health insurance (VHI Plan B or similar, though you should check exactly what benefits your plan covers).Private: You can either go private in public hospital, like Holles St, or in a private hospital like Mount Carmel.

From what I can see, going private costs about €8,000 (5,000 on consultants fees, 3,000 on private room for 3 nights), with your health insurance covering half that cost. When you claim back your tax on the remainder (@ 20%), you'd be paying in the region of €3,200. It's a bit cheaper to go private in a public hospital than in a private one.

Private gets you
    1) A near guarantee of seeing the same consultant throughout your pregnancy.
    2) A private room for 3 nights once the baby is born, or 5 nights if you have a C-section.

The purported benefits of going private are the consistency of care, the fact that a consultant is going to be better academically qualified and may pick up on a complication which would slip past a doctor on call or a midwife, and the fact that you get a private room. You can also have early scans if you want.

And the wait for appointments is not as long as in semi-private or public clinics.The drawbacks are;
    1) The cost
    2) Your consultant may be on holidays or off duty when you go into labour, so it may be a different consultant delivering your baby.
    3) If you are in a public hospital, there may be no private rooms available. They do not guarantee their availabilty. So you may end up spending a portion or the whole of your post-birth stay in a semi-private or public ward. You will still pay the same fees to the hospital.
    4) Specifically in relation to Mount Carmel, they do not have an emergency facility. Given that they regularly carry out c-sections, I don't really know what the true risk of this is, but I have heard stories of women having to be rushed to Holles St in emergency situations. Not ideal as you can imagine.

Semi Private
    You can go semi private in a public hospital, or indeed in a private hospital. Semi private costs vary. It's €900 altogether in Holles St (I don't know whether that's before or after the tax deduction). It's €1,300 in Mount Carmel, after the health insurance and tax deduction.

Semi private gets you;
    a) Clinic appointments with the consultant on call. The hospital will try to ensure that you have the same consultant on each visit and on delivery day, but don't guarantee it.
    b) Accomodation in a semi private ward, which varies from hospital to hospital. In Mount Carmel, there are two people and four people wards. In Holles St there are four people and six people wards.Drawbacks are:Again, no guarantee of consistency of care. And no guarantee of getting a semi private ward if the hospital is busy. This is less of an issue in MC as they don't have public wards.

Again, you still pay the fees if you end up in a public ward. The semi private clinics in public hospitals are usually just as busy as the public clinics (if not more so).Public:Now, this is I think how it works. You get seen by the public hospital midwives and the doctor on call at each appointment.

After the birth you are placed in a public ward, which usually has about 8 people in it. You have one scan at 20-ish weeks. You're not entitled to any further scans unless there is a problem with the pregnancy.

Labour ward midwives will deliver your baby, and a consultant will only attend at the very end of the delivery and usually only when there is a complication.
    Benefits;
    a) It's free
    b) From what I am told the standard of care is very high in the public clinics - not much different from the semi-private or private clinics.

Drawbacks
    a) No consistency of care
    b) Noisy and perhaps chaotic ward after the birth

Personally, I'm taking a fourth choice - the Domino Scheme. It's a midwives clinic that is attached to Holles St.
    All your appointments are with the midwives, with a consultant only getting involved if the midwives spot a problem.

The advantages are that;
    a) The clinics are less busy and therefore you don't have to wait for your appointment;
    b) The midwives have a huge bank of experience which, in my opinion, probably equals that of the consultants.
    c) You can take the option of the "early transfer home" scheme where you are (assuming a straightforward birth) discharged 6-12 hours after the birth and the midwives come and visit you every day for 10 days after the birth to assist you with breast feeding etc. This appeals to me as I hate hospitals.
    d) The ethos of the Domino Scheme is to anticipate a straightforward, natural birth. So they are quite happy for you to give birth in any position (rather than on a bed on your back, which is apparently the most uncomfortable but the easiest access), and are not so ready to induce/use forceps/c-section unless it is necessary, rather than being just "hospital policy" as happens in the main hospitals.

The Domino Scheme is only offered for certain cachement areas around the hospitals that provide it, so that is a drawback.

Hi Red B - congrats on your pregnancy! This is just copied from another thread I posted on a few days ago.

congrats to everyone on feelin good and bein pregnant! im 12 weeks today! wohoo!!!:D

hopin to tell family tomorrow. cant wait to not hide my nausea anymore!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Red-B

JDD wrote: »
    Hi Red B - congrats on your pregnancy! This is just copied from another thread I posted on a few days ago.

Thanks JDD. Much appreciate all the info and i'm sure a lot of people will benefit from reading that.

Advertisement