Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That just doesn't make sense!

1111213141517»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

i think part of that is they cant travel at maximum warp forever, only really in short bursts otherwise the Ent would be tearing around at 9.9 on every trip

Plus its human nature to say "At 60mph we'll be home in 2 hours time", even though the average speed of the car might only be 45 miles an hour. Maybe the warp-speed mathematics were easier if they rounded up to maximum warp.

Really, I don't see whats wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Worf defeats Gowron in DS9 epidode "tacking into the wind", to win the chancellorship, and promptly hands it to Martok.

This makes no sense. From an in universe pov or from a storytelling pov.

It was the perfect, if hammy, ending for Worf. The man alone becomes the leader of the Empire ... come on ... perfect!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So on a Galaxy Class (max sustainable cruise Warp 9.2) it takes 300 years to travel 2.7 million light years but an Intrepid Class, (max sustainable cruise Warp 9.975) it takes 70 years to travel 70000 light years. :confused:

Voyagers moveable pylons and magic deflector answers all these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Don't for get the Punching her way through Captain that deserved a court martial and not a promotion, on return home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Worf defeats Gowron in DS9 epidode "tacking into the wind", to win the chancellorship, and promptly hands it to Martok.

This makes no sense. From an in universe pov or from a storytelling pov.

It was the perfect, if hammy, ending for Worf. The man alone becomes the leader of the Empire ... come on ... perfect!!

Can't say I agree there. Worf is the ultimate Klingon, honour & duty are paramount to him. Form his perspective, he knew how much better for the empire it'd be for Gowron to lead the empire, as opposed to himself. Don't forget he grew up around humans too, & traits like that have certainly rubbed off on him...

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Can't say I agree there. Worf is the ultimate Klingon, honour & duty are paramount to him. Form his perspective, he knew how much better for the empire it'd be for Gowron to lead the empire, as opposed to himself. Don't forget he grew up around humans too, & traits like that have certainly rubbed off on him...

That's why it's all the better an ending for him. A lifetime living in the Federation where he is aggresivly accepted on merit, but he doesn't want to live in, and a lifetime of exclusion from the empire and society he wants to be a part of.

Worf is the only klingon you see that acts honourably at every turn, except for when "his klingon heart demands".

He is Kahless come again. Him becoming Chancellor was a pefect ending, and a much better fit than Nagus Rom.

Nope. If it is travelling at Warp then it is within the warp field, of the ship and only has to compensate as it leave that.
    If it is travelling at impulse then the shuttle is travelling at impulse already, relative with the ship that it is leaving.

That is nonsense. as soon as it leaves contact with the ship it is out of that system and has to avoid hitting it.

A good example of this is Sulus attempt to manually land a shuttle in Final Frontier.

Him becoming Chancellor was a pefect ending, and a much better fit than Nagus Rom.

I'll grant you that, I thought that was ridiculous actually. Re Worf though, it would have been a bit too 'fairytale' if you get me...I look at it in the sense that he saved the Empire that spurned him (by removing Gowron from power). Ever the man of honor.

That is nonsense. as soon as it leaves contact with the ship it is out of that system and has to avoid hitting it.

A good example of this is Sulus attempt to manually land a shuttle in Final Frontier.

I'm not sure, I'd be inclined to agree with norrie there. In space, all motion is relative, therefore if a shuttle left the front of a ship when the ship was at warp, the shuttle would emerge at warp speed relative to a stationary object. Remember the Enterprise-D saucer separation in Encounter at Farpoint? The saucer detached from the secondary hull & both remained at warp...the saucer would have fell out of warp speed not long after as it wouldn't have been able to sustain the speed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ezri does make the point that Worf was willing to accept a corrupt government in charge of the Empire. He defends Gowron during the civil war when a Klingon challenged him for the leadership, Worf called it madness then.

Nagus Rom is cringeworthy stuff.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Ezri does make the point that Worf was willing to accept a corrupt government in charge of the Empire. He defends Gowron during the civil war when a Klingon challenged him for the leadership, Worf called it madness then.

Ezris point is 100% right. Worf has consistently accepted a dishonourable and corrupt leadership to protect the overall honourable image of the empire.

For him to seize control and force the Empire to walk the walk honour wise instead of just talking it would have been a great end for the character.

As it stands, he is appointed Federation Ambassador to Quonos. A role I feel he is particularly ill suited to. He is completly mired in Klingon politics. He's directly influenced / caused the appointement of the current leadership. How can he represent Fed interests there in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

As it stands, he is appointed Federation Ambassador to Quonos. A role I feel he is particularly ill suited to. He is completly mired in Klingon politics. He's directly influenced / caused the appointement of the current leadership. How can he represent Fed interests there in any way?

Its not like the federation had a whole nest of Klingons with Federation-centric agendas to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I'd be inclined to agree with norrie there. In space, all motion is relative, therefore if a shuttle left the front of a ship when the ship was at warp, the shuttle would emerge at warp speed relative to a stationary object. Remember the Enterprise-D saucer separation in Encounter at Farpoint? The saucer detached from the secondary hull & both remained at warp...the saucer would have fell out of warp speed not long after as it wouldn't have been able to sustain the speed

Absolutely, the warp argument I see. As I understand the fictional technology of warp, while in a warp bubble the ship and its contents are for all effect stationary, its the warp bubble itself that is moving.

But what I was suggesting was any non faster than light motion would cause a forward exit from a ship difficult. As soon as the shuttle leaves the ship floor it is immediately stationary and under its own motion.

Imagine your standing on a train, if you jump your position on the train moves as it moves underneath you. If you jump on a starship you ship does not move underneath you because the ship is the source of your gravity. Thats why everyone doesnt get slammed into walls when the ship moves.

Once you maneuver a shuttle under its own power you are out of this gravity field, even speeds such as thrusters or an orbit would be problematic.

OK i really do not get you.
    If I am in a train and I jump, I land on the same spot. Why? Because I am moving at the same speed as the train. Relative to the train I am stationary, relative to the ground beneath the train I am moving at 70mph.

If I am standing on TOP of the train and I jump then air friction slows me down and the train (under its own propulsion moves faster than my new speed). If there were a vacuum there I would have landed in the spot that I jumped from as air friction is not present.
    example is how easy it is to move your hand forward in a car (moving at 100mph) open the window, stick your hand out and move it forward, air friction now makes that a much harder thing to do.

People don't get slammed to the wall as Trek has inertial dampeners. These things are only needed during speed changes of the ship. The equivalent is that you can comfortably travel at 400mph in a plane but you get slammed into your seat at take off as the plane accelerates.

It has nothing to do with the "gravity" field of the ship. If the ship is travelling at 1/2 impulse then the shuttle is travelling at 1/2 impulse, as is the air in the ship and everything else. If the shuttle begins to move forward, at 10kmh, it is travelling at a ship relative speed of 10kmh but outside the ship it is travelling at 1/2impulse+10kmh.
    If it continues out of the shuttle bay and there is no air friction to cause drag slowing it down it is still travelling at 1/2+10, just like if you are standing on something moving fast and throw something ahead of you. It will move faster that the object that you are standing on (untill air slows it down).
    Just because the shuttle can normally not travel at 1/2 impulse is not the point, the inertia to get to that speed has been provided for by the ship that it is leaving

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoG8UB4UkfZNhTzFt7xI_wYMtZoLVtKPi8FNq2XNSqV8Uk-kilaw

syklops wrote: »
    Its not like the federation had a whole nest of Klingons with Federation-centric agendas to choose from.

Yes but I'm sure they have a diplomatic core blocked full of diplomats who are not major players in high end politics in the empire

OK i really do not get you.
    If I am in a train and I jump, I land on the same spot. Why? Because I am moving at the same speed as the train. Relative to the train I am stationary, relative to the ground beneath the train I am moving at 70mph.

If I am standing on TOP of the train and I jump then air friction slows me down and the train (under its own propulsion moves faster than my new speed). If there were a vacuum there I would have landed in the spot that I jumped from as air friction is not present.
    example is how easy it is to move your hand forward in a car (moving at 100mph) open the window, stick your hand out and move it forward, air friction now makes that a much harder thing to do.

People don't get slammed to the wall as Trek has inertial dampeners. These things are only needed during speed changes of the ship. The equivalent is that you can comfortably travel at 400mph in a plane but you get slammed into your seat at take off as the plane accelerates.

It has nothing to do with the "gravity" field of the ship. If the ship is travelling at 1/2 impulse then the shuttle is travelling at 1/2 impulse, as is the air in the ship and everything else. If the shuttle begins to move forward, at 10kmh, it is travelling at a ship relative speed of 10kmh but outside the ship it is travelling at 1/2impulse+10kmh.
    If it continues out of the shuttle bay and there is no air friction to cause drag slowing it down it is still travelling at 1/2+10, just like if you are standing on something moving fast and throw something ahead of you. It will move faster that the object that you are standing on (untill air slows it down).
    Just because the shuttle can normally not travel at 1/2 impulse is not the point, the inertia to get to that speed has been provided for by the ship that it is leaving

If the shuttle flies up and the ship flies down they smash into each other.

Honestly Worf, given his family shunning, standing, shunning, absorption into Martok's family (a family of huge influence), his own standing as pretty much Martok's right hand and his relationship with Gowron, should have been posted as far from potential conflicts of interest and influence of/from the Klingon empire.

If the shuttle flies up and the ship flies down they smash into each other.

If the shuttle flies up and the ship stays where it is, they still smash into each other.
    If the ship is hovering and the ship flies down they don't, it will go with it (within reason, same force that stops people leaving their positions when the ship flies "down". There is no down in space/zero G :)). The Shuttle, to leave the decking of the ship has to generate thrust to counter the gravity of that decking, to a particular height, the gravity still has a hold on the Up/Down aspect of things (the inertial dampeners also act to prevent the ship moving in a way to change the position of the items within).
    It is only generating enough thrust to counter that amount of gravity, not to break away from it.

That is why people don't fly away from earth when they jump away from it, even though the earth is moving through space at an awesome speed.
    No on on earth is not moving. We are all moving at the speed on the Earth, if we are on the opposite side of the direction of earth's movement and jump we don't drift away. It still pulls us back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Lads, its science fiction. dont ruin my lovely perception of Star Trek by bogging it all down in physics. I failed physics in college. I really dont need ye to remind me why! :D

Back to the run through. I should be starting S5, but I should REALLY be doing college work. something else putting me off it is the Klingon / Romulan story line. urgh.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »

In saying that..... Nagus Zek goes to great lengths early in ds9 to demonstrate that the real power can be wielded from behind the throne. So maybe he really does see Quark as his successor.

Absolutely, the warp argument I see. As I understand the fictional technology of warp, while in a warp bubble the ship and its contents are for all effect stationary, its the warp bubble itself that is moving.

As I understand it, how warp drive in Star Trek works is by contracting space in front of the ship, & expanding space behind the ship. I think it still propels itself, & the warp bubble is taking care of the bending of space.
    But what I was suggesting was any non faster than light motion would cause a forward exit from a ship difficult. As soon as the shuttle leaves the ship floor it is immediately stationary and under its own motion.

Ah, I see...I thought you meant ftl speeds initially. However, even at sublight the argument holds up. If the shuttle were to lift up from the shuttle bay floor, it would remain at the ships current velocity. There is no gravity in space to 'drag' the shuttle to a stationary position., & even the shuttle bay floor has a warning about a variable gravity environment....so when a shuttle is about to be launched, the gravity on the shuttle landing area is turned off...& voila, ship & shuttle are at the same speed.
    Imagine your standing on a train, if you jump your position on the train moves as it moves underneath you. If you jump on a starship you ship does not move underneath you because the ship is the source of your gravity. Thats why everyone doesnt get slammed into walls when the ship moves.

On a train, there is gravity form the earth as you mention. On a ship, there is gravity from the deck plating, so unlike the Earth, the source of the gravity is also in motion with you while on a starship. Why would you hit the walls when you jump up, if the downward pull of gravity is also moving along too? The ship, & pull of gravity are synchronized, unlike the train. Inertia dampers are a different tech, & they prevent people from being smashed into walls when going to warp, or a situation where the relative movement of the ship would be large.
    Once you maneuver a shuttle under its own power you are out of this gravity field, even speeds such as thrusters or an orbit would be problematic.

If you were travelling along at 20k mph in space, & were able to put your arm out a window & let go of a ball...the ball will stay beside the window. Without friction, there's nothing to slow the ball down. The shuttle is exactly the same.

Advertisement