Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greece to shut down state broadcaster

• 11-06-2013 4:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In its latest austerity move, the Greek government is to close its State funded radio and television until further notice.
    More than 2,000 employees will be suspended until the company reopens as soon as possible. "ERT is a case of an exceptional lack of transparency and incredible extravagance. This ends now," government spokesman Simos Kedikoglou said, according to the AFP news agency. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22861577

Why can't we be as progressive in this country? Imagine all that taxpayer money we throw to fund RTE being freed up. We'd all benefit from a break from that overfunded propaganda-lite service. I would welcome this particular austerity move in this country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

snubbleste wrote: »
    In its latest austerity move, the Greek government is to close its State funded radio and television until further notice.
    More than 2,000 employees will be suspended until the company reopens as soon as possible. "ERT is a case of an exceptional lack of transparency and incredible extravagance. This ends now," government spokesman Simos Kedikoglou said, according to the AFP news agency. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22861577

Why can't we be as progressive in this country? Imagine all that taxpayer money we throw to fund RTE being freed up. We'd all benefit from a break from that overfunded propaganda-lite service. I would welcome this particular austerity move in this country.
    And be left with what?
    TV3?
    Fcuk no!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Imagine a world without ERT RTÉ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

sounds like communism to me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

But Pat Kenny would be snapped up by the BBC on a salary of 100 million pounds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Oh god NOOOOOOOOO
    the HORROR!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ah rte aint that bad, bar a few people being overpaid I dont get the hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Be great to see Tubridy,Kenny and Mir-e-yum etc attempt to get a fraction of their BS RTE salaries in England!

revz wrote: »

ah I would have liked to have seen that pic saved for something which deserved it, just change channel :confused: or unlees you only have rte then come out of the dark ages with your rabbit ears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure I'd really miss it. So much more and better on BBC/ITV/C4 networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Democracy is really taking a nosedive in Greece, hope the troika understand what they are creating. Presumably they do and just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Overall I think RTE is pretty alright for a state broadcaster in a small country like Ireland.

Could do with trimming further the salaries of a select few but all in all I think RTE provides decent entertainment. If it was gone we'd have no Irish broadcaster as TV3 is just ITV in a green wrapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

MadsL wrote: »
    But Pat Kenny would be snapped up by the BBC on a salary of 100 million pounds drachma!

There, you madman. FYP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

TV3 and it's wax faced women? Thank God I have the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While I have no time for the ludicrous RTE glitterati and I hardly watch a thing on the channel, it would be foolish to close it and then expect TV3 or NT (assuming RTE radio was also closed down) to take up the slack in any meaningful way. We'd just see the extra advertising money end up as more expensive frocks for the gals on xpose.

Con Logue wrote: »
    TV3 and it's wax faced women? Thank God I have the BBC.

in fairness you should probably thank the bbc not god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE does God, not the Beeb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Why can't we be as progressive in this country?

Yes that's what we should do, try and imitate Greece.

One of the few countries in the EU make Ireland look like some sort of economic Utopia when compared to the mess they are in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

Jeez, if they do away with OR TEE EEE, who'd lead the politicians by the nose / distract the people with 'talent' competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

One of the reasons TV3 is so crap is that RTE distorts the market - it only needs to sell €500,000 of ads to make €1,000,000 worth of TV; TV3 has to sell €1,000,000 of ads to make €1,000,000 worth of TV.

But that said, public service broadcasting is a good idea - a pity we don't have it, beyond tg4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If the RTE cash stops flowing,it might also be the final push that Grainne Seoige needs to enter the 'adult' industry!

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Zeke Zzypt

IM0 wrote: »
    in fairness you should probably thank the bbc not god

It's certainly a God worthy miracle of positioning near Britain that we get the BBC so TV3 and its general frockdom and political posing isn't rammed down the nation's collective throat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

To be fair there are benefits to having a state broadcaster in some guise. Saving money by shutting down a national tv network is relatively acceptable. But state radio is extremely beneficial in terms of getting general news but in particular during national emergencies for example. Greece is a country in political, social and economic strife due to this there is a distinct need to have national radio at the very least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Corkfeen wrote: »
    To be fair there are benefits to having a state broadcaster in some guise. Saving money by shutting down a national tv network is relatively acceptable. But state radio is extremely beneficial in terms of getting general news but in particular during national emergencies for example. Greece is a country in political, social and economic strife due to this there is a distinct need to have national radio at the very least.
    Greece has 10m people and numerous non State controlled television and radio stations. It's a bit different to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Having a State Broadcaster is fairly important. Venezuela was almost overthrown by a military coup largely down to control over television.

I would agree with gigantic cuts to "entertainment" broadcasting but the news needs to be good/better.

Greece has some serious issues coming and if there's no one to tell the people what's happening it could get ugly even faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

And be left with what?
    TV3?
    Fcuk no!!

TV3 has better shows on in one day than RTE manages for a whole month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Having a State Broadcaster is fairly important. Venezuela was almost overthrown by a military coup largely down to control over television.

I would agree with gigantic cuts to "entertainment" broadcasting but the news needs to be good/better.

Greece has some serious issues coming and if there's no one to tell the people what's happening it could get ugly even faster.

I just watched that documentary recently, for anyone who hasn't seen it, it is essential viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

sell rte off and keep the national lottery...at least then money earned from the lotto could still go to good causes here in ireland and we might actually get a half decent tv service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Do that many people really watch TV anymore? I don't even have a TV. My parents do but all they use it for is streaming stuff on netflicks and they're in their 50s!

Advertisement