Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports in Colour on RTÉ?

• 19-09-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Sport went Colour on RTÉ in what year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

1971 with the Railway Cup finals. The kit was already in place for the Eurovision Song Contest so it wasn't too difficult to get the loaned BBC OB unit out to Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

rlogue wrote: »
    1971 with the Railway Cup finals. The kit was already in place for the Eurovision Song Contest so it wasn't too difficult to get the loaned BBC OB unit out to Croker.

And then after that? Was it full time Colour for Indigenous Sports.

What about all the people in Black and White what did they do ;) You will really have to follow my line of though on this one lol.

I lived through that period and the picture from Channel 7 in glorious 405 lines was still in black and white on our telly at least. Should we have sent the TV back?

rlogue wrote: »
    I lived through that period and the picture from Channel 7 in glorious 405 lines was still in black and white on our telly at least. Should we have sent the TV back?

Only if you were watching a colour TV show (which was broadcast in colour) in Black and White on a colour TV set!

Back to my question did All of RTÉ's indigenous sport appear in colour from 1971.

We did not go Colour in our house until Christmas 1975 though we did switch to 625 in January 1974 so I can tell you all sport on RTE was in colour by then.

I would have thought GAA and Horse racing would have priority and I did watch the 1972 All-Ireland football final in colour at a pub in Lucan.

For your information I was seven years old at the time and drank a bottle of Cidona with some of Taytos finest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Yes! You were a man when you drank Cidona back then :D
    What about the Perri crisps:eek:

Oh yeah! What was the topic again?

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Yes! You were a man when you drank Cidona back then :D
    What about the Perri crisps:eek:

Oh yeah! What was the topic again?

Prob in a glass bottle as well. I remember getting a bottle of Club Orange for the first time with a packet of tayto and thinking this was posh, we only ever had TK and St. Bernard's Crisps.

BTW I wasn't around in 1972 so I can comment to the use of Glass bottles back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I remember when crisps had a blue bag of salt. Tayto invented flavoured crisps only very late 1950s and sold in N.I. from 1960s?
    In an idea originated by the Smiths Potato Crisps Company Ltd, formed in 1920, Frank Smith originally packaged a twist of salt with his crisps in greaseproof paper bags, which were then sold around London.

The potato chip remained otherwise unseasoned until an innovation by Joe "Spud" Murphy (1923–2001),[9] the owner of an Irish crisp company called Tayto, who developed a technology to add seasoning during manufacture in the 1950s. Though he had a small company, consisting almost entirely of his immediate family who prepared the crisps, the owner had long proved himself to be an innovator. After some trial and error, Murphy and his employee, Seamus Burke, produced the world's first seasoned crisps, Cheese & Onion and Salt & Vinegar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_chip
    The invention of the cheese and onion crisp in the late 1950s, however, was the coup of his career; the new flavour became a success both at home and abroad, and within two years the business had moved to larger premises. In 1960 it expanded yet again.

As the driving force behind Tayto, Murphy's genius was for marketing. He was, for example, one of the first businessmen to sponsor a programme on Radio Eireann: Cruising With Tayto was a half-hour talk show during which the only advertisements were for his own products.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1361491/Joe-Spud-Murphy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Elmo wrote: »
    Sport went Colour on RTÉ in what year?

All the timelines....footage in the online archives I am sure
    http://www.rte.ie/laweb/brc/brc_timeline.html

STB wrote: »
    All the timelines....footage in the online archives I am sure
    http://www.rte.ie/laweb/brc/brc_timeline.html

Just tells you about the rail way cup and

1973: RTÉ Annual Report publishes statistics reporting that 77% (542,000) of households in the Republic have a television set; 530,000 have a television licence and 27,000 have colour televisions.

Does tell my when Sports in Colour all the time. I ask as I am assuming that RTÉ changed Sports to colour before other services such as The Riordans which began broadcasting in colour in 1975.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

1973: RTÉ Annual Report publishes statistics reporting that 77% (542,000) of households in the Republic have a television set; 530,000 have a television licence .

542000 - 530000 = 12000 had unlicensed TV's

How were they able to arrive at these figures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Mike 1972 wrote: »

On subject of unlicensed TV's it was a running joke during the troubles that large estates and areas of N. Ireland had unlicensed TV's as it was too dangerous for detector vans to go anywhere near them!

The man in the van had to count all the houses.

:)

I'd say its CSO household statistics versus licences sold.

How did you change my quote?

How did you change my quote you chancer

It cant be done surely.

STB wrote: »
    It cant be done surely.

Suppose why is a better question as It was in reference to Colour TV.

Just tells you about the rail way cup and

1973: RTÉ Annual Report publishes statistics reporting that 77% (542,000) of households in the Republic have a television set; 530,000 have a television licence and 27,000 have colour televisions.
    elmo.gif

Does [not] tell my [me] when Sports [was] in Colour all the time. I ask as I am assuming that RTÉ changed Sports to colour before other services such as The Riordans which began broadcasting in colour in 1975.

I presume Elmo born in 1969 but was he colour from then?

watty wrote: »
    I presume Elmo born in 1969 but was he colour from then?

RTÉ's website states that the first Colour transmission was in 1971 with the railway cup and that by 1973 an estimated 27,000 households had a color TV.

When did RTÉ start broadcasting all Sports coverage in colour? It began colour transmissions in 1971 and by 1975 The Riordans debut in Colour.

Due to the use of OBUs on The Riordans I assume that the late date of 1975 for The Riordans in colour is due to the role out of colour for sporting events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

How did you change my quote?

:confused:? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

On subject of unlicensed TV's it was a running joke during the troubles that large estates and areas of N. Ireland had unlicensed TV's as it was too dangerous for detector vans to go anywhere near them!

Quite true, they lost one and maybe even two detector vans back in the late 70's /early 80's (hijacked & burned).

One of the lesser known after-effects of the peace process up here saw a sudden rise in new TV licences being bought in some areas, as the inspectors felt safe going back into places where previously they wouldn't have went even with military support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

MACHEAD wrote: »
    Quite true, they lost one and maybe even two detector vans back in the late 70's /early 80's (hijacked & burned).

One of the lesser known after-effects of the peace process up here saw a sudden rise in new TV licences being bought in some areas, as the inspectors felt safe going back into places where previously they wouldn't have went even with military support.
    I remember reading back in the 90's that during the troubles, TV licence evasion in Northern Ireland was estimated at over 40%.

There's a nice story (possibly urban legend), of someone who phoned their local TV dealer in a rural place (somewhere in North Antrim I think) to tell them that the colour on BBC1 kept cutting in and out, but the other channels were fine. TV dealer checked to see if it was a transmitter problem by checking his own reception and confirmed it was a problem at the local relay. Call sent to BBC Engineering, returned shortly after saying that there was a problem but that they were not going to bother fixing it as according to TV Licence records, no one in the service area of the relay had a colour licence!

I'd say a myth.
    I worked in BBC Comms. I never heard of anyone having access to that sort of info

Good story though. I have some less believable true ones.

Advertisement